Herne Hill Flood

Number 22

The businesses of Herne Hill (particularly Half Moon Lane) will need your support more than ever over the coming months. We have been devastated by this flood but are determined to come back stronger and better than ever.

Follow us on Twitter by using hash-tag #hernehillflood

Thank you for everything so far

xx

I often am around Herne Hill and frequent the shops there so am very sorry for the devastating effect that the flooding has had on all the local business' and homes. Sorry, I'm a bit clueless about these things, is there a way to follow your updates if we're not on Twitter?

Herne Hill does seem to be a fairly pleasant area.

Has the appearance of local community shopping.

Much nicer than East Dulwich..

Bit like what E.D. used to be like.

A bit too far to go for a casual shop. and not suitable for a weekly/monthly shop.

Foxy

I cycle via Herne Hill each day and walked through this evening. Some of the shutters were partway up and the mess inside was heart-rending. I can't imagine what it feels like for the shopkeepers.

Do you know if anyone needs any help this weekend with clearing up? A volunteer mop and bucket crew perhaps? I'd be happy to give a few hours.

Thanks all - you can follow progress here http://www.hernehillforum.org.uk/news/aftermath-day-after-flood-pictures-trader-traffic-news

And thanks for the offer of help Applesider. I'm waiting on instructions from loss adjustors before attempting a clean up... we have a catering company too which I'm keeping running - have a few jobs on this weekend so really juggling at the mo!!

I also visit the shops and restaurants in Herne Hill and have had some great evenings in Number22.

Can you give an indication of when you might be open again? As SebsC says, many of us are not on Twitter (and Facebook etc) so would be great if you could update, even very briefly on here.

Walked past today to see the shutters half up and devastation of damaged goods, lots of workers trying to sort out the mess that will take a while to clean up. Feel so sorry for the shop owners and their livelihood. Road outside the shops on Half Moon Lane will be closed a while whilst they sort out the pipes below. Herne Hill will really need the support of East Dulwich to get back up and running.

Oh lordy absolutely - the damage is horrific and every business & resident affected must be facing a nightmare

My point was trying to figure out why the damage was as bad as it was

If i was a business affected I might accept that water mains do break from time to time - but i wouldn't be so happy to accept why the water didn't drain away, and I might be inclined to sue whoever was responsible for that side of things

Any retail business that has a comprehensive property damage insurance policy in place either through the freehold or leasehold will likely be compensated. Those policies indemnify small businesses not only for physical damage but for loss of stock and/ or business interruption, that's basically lost earnings for the time they're closed/getting fixed up.

That all helps but the reality is that loads of businesses are under insured/on substandard policies and none of it takes into account the potential loss of goodwill, regular customers, energy and emotional impact that follows.

The Standard article the other night made a valid point by saying that had it happened in North London, it would have had more column inches and ongoing news coverage than it did. I'm sure that if everyone in East Dulwich made at least one HH visit in the coming months for shopping or to eat then it would make a difference.

Mr Ben you're right.... the biggest help you'll all be to the businesses of Herne Hill will be to pay a visit when we get back on our feet. The danger is that we drop off the map / out of people's minds. Thank you everyone for taking an interest.

Chris

The TV coverage showed an enormous pipe that was going to be used to replace the burst pipe. That size of pipe would pump out a huge amount of water, overwhelming man-made and natural drainage.

If you think about the damage that a minor (by comparison) domestic water leak causes, then the damage to property and stock is very large indeed.

Stock can be replaced quickly. The basements and rooms that are used to keep the stock will take weeks if not months to dry out, wiring will be sodden and may well need to be replaced. Plaster will need replacing, but only after the walls have dried out, older buildings may have had walls undermined or even foundations washed out.

So all in all, a bloody disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited Hearn Hill as part of my daily walking / exercise routine..

Could not believe the extent of damage to shops on Half Moon Lane.

Most with Floor Boards up and 1 Metre of Plaster removed.

Very sad sight. Could be some business owners may never recover from the terrible flood.

Thames Water has a lot to answer to.

DulwichFox

jrpfinch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I gather the Half Moon pub is closed for about a

> year. I believe it's listed so the

> clean-up/drying operation is not straightforward.

The Dray men were there today 11.00ish..

Not sure if they were delivering or taking barrels away.

Foxy