Where has the Electrical shop cafe gone???

Frankie G Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello can anyone enlighten me why the lovely cafe

> on Peckham rye, I think it was the old electrical

> shop, shut down??? Thanks

No one really knows (do they?) They just mysteriously packed up & cleared out. There was a small note on the railings saying something like they were closed due to 'electrical' problems (ha ha, yeh right!?)Very strange. Then next thing we know there was a to let sign up lol

Do you mean the Gardens cafe? If so, it was because they took an hour before you saw any food after ordering (if you were lucky) even when the cafe was empty. And even then, what you ordered was not exactly what appeared. In our case, they did reimburse us half the bill, but still. It's a shame, as the food was lovely. No business acumen I suppose, and beyond hopeless management.

The food was decent and it was a good location but the service was poor, mainly because a fair few of the wait people couldn't understand let alone speak English properly. It got boring to repeat several times and to be asked several times when all you wanted was a nice cuppa and fried eggs on toast.

It's no more possibly due to poor service?? More likely to have resulted from not meeting rental costs etc and hence being booted out.

I would not like to see it become a nando's or 24hr Wimmpy, the building is not suitable for this. But at a rental cost of ?35k per annum plus business rates at 7k, turnover needs to be ?3.5k per month plus staff costs and other overheads before any profit can even be made. Whoever take this on will need to have substantial rserves to make a go of it. Someone who runs it as a resturant/cafe/coffee bar will need to consider opening early to catch those going to work, available for lunches, afternoon teas and evening meals. It is a massive committment and carries a huge risk factor, however its position is excellent.

There still seem to be dirty glasses on the counter? Yet most of other furniture gone - strange...

dbboy - do you know those rent & rate figures for fact or is it an educated guess? I am just very curious what kind of costs are involved in a place like that...

dbboy Wrote:

> I would not like to see it become a nando's or

> 24hr Wimmpy, the building is not suitable for

> this.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Well it's not well situated for a late night

> Nandos and even a 24 hour WIMPY would probably

> struggle, so I've an open mind on the matter.

Glad we're at one on this DB'B'.

Secretly I was worried someone was going to take a fling at one of them.

I hope you keep exerting your influence to ensure no one unsuitable takes the shop/space/area.

Though, wait a sec, how about a half 'n' half arrangement between Nando's and WIMPY (always uppercase by the way) where Mon-Thurs usual takeaway hours, but and GET THIS from 17:00 on Friday to 02:00 on Monday 24 HOURS!!!!

YEEEEEES!!!!

This one's got legs I reckon, both two legged chickeny-based ones for Nandos and the more four-legged bovine based ones of THE WIMPY.

If that's not a USP then I don't know my USP from my elbow.

Come on, get it punted.

Edited because I forgot to put wimpy in UPPERCASE

edhistory Wrote:

> "Permitted operating hours are from 09:00-18:00

> during the week and 10:00-18:00 on the weekend."

Of course EDH.

But a 'drink' or three in the right (wrong?) mouths, some judicious distribution of those cards that ensure Brit rappers/popstars get free scran in Nandos and a similar local arrangement for the WIMPY (perhaps involving a handshake?), all would be well.

That'd get the 'red tape' cut.

I quote the Chancellor of the Exchequer from his Mansion House speech 2013

"The Bank of England has had the difficult task of balancing the risks from inflation with the need to support the economy.

BUT there's always a SHORT cut if'n you got the LOOOOONG green, yea baby"

So, from the short distance from the Chancellor's thinking brain to his speaking mouth, there you have it.

I'm very sad that its closed, they did lovely breakfasts and lunches.

Yes, the service was a bit rubbish, but I forgave it because the food was great.

I think for a restaurant to succeed there it really needs to open in the evening, a group of people sitting for ages over cups of coffee during the day doesn't pay the bills.

I'd love to see a good organic restaurant with great wines and cocktails opening there....but I may be in the minority.

I've always thought it would make a great "destination" restaurant - along the lines of Chez Bruce in Wandsworth. However, the restriction on opening hours stymies that. If Council Planning officers / committee were more flexible and approve longer hours for the right sort of place it could have a positive impact on ED, altho' we have some interesting eateries (off to Palmerston tonight) we don't really have a top of the range restaurant.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> I've always thought it would make a great

> "destination" restaurant - along the lines of Chez

> Bruce in Wandsworth. However, the restriction on

> opening hours stymies that. If Council Planning

> officers / committee were more flexible and

> approve longer hours for the right sort of place

> it could have a positive impact on ED,

xxxxxx

I wonder why the restriction?

I'd have thought the people who were running its last incarnation would have applied for evening opening (if they were able to), as surely they couldn't have hoped to make a go of it just during the day - as indeed they didn't.

Did residents object? There can't be that many of them, with the Rye opposite, and it isn't as if it became a pub.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> I've always thought it would make a great

> "destination" restaurant - along the lines of Chez

> Bruce in Wandsworth.

Parking is the main problem. Not the best 'Destination' using public transport.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Marmora Man Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've always thought it would make a great

> > "destination" restaurant - along the lines of

> Chez

> > Bruce in Wandsworth.

>

> Parking is the main problem. Not the best

> 'Destination' using public transport.

>

> DulwichFox

Have you tried to park by Chez Bruce? Parking here is very easy by comparison.

EDOldie Wrote:

> Have you tried to park by Chez Bruce? Parking here

> is very easy by comparison.

xxxxxx

But Chez Bruce is right next to Wandsworth Common station, isn't it?

Parking isn't going to prevent anyone from going to a good eating house.

Any time I've been to Chez Bruce I've gone with people who've managed to get there oh! and back perfectly well.

We live in LONDON if it's worth going to it's worth getting THE bus, THE train, A cab.

PARKING? Parking my *rs*. Not required.