Where has the Electrical shop cafe gone???

Just over a year ago I was in there and chatting to a chap who if not the owner was at least the manager (and gave my friend and I lots of free wine!) . He mentioned that they were applying for a later licence, possibly till 9. I guess they didn't get it. It is quite residential, so maybe that's why? Shame it closed though.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did not know the Electrical Shop Caf? was

> Licenced.. ?

>

> Foxy.

DF, Twirly said she was GIVEN lots of free wine, so all off the clock, sounds like a nice treat for Twirly and friend by a good host.

Wish I'd gone in there more myself now.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Did not know the Electrical Shop Caf? was

> > Licenced.. ?

> >

> > Foxy.

>

> DF, Twirly said she was GIVEN lots of free wine,

> so all off the clock, sounds like a nice treat for

> Twirly and friend by a good host.

>

> Wish I'd gone in there more myself now.

NO.. Twirly said ' He mentioned that they were applying for a later licence, possibly till 9.

That would suggest they were already licenced..

and I said. 'Did not know the Electrical Shop Caf? was Licenced.. ? '

Foxy

I would love a Be @ One - would be awesome somewhere in ED - Adventure Bar just doesn't quite do it!

Louisa Wrote:

> I think that would make an ideal spot for a Be At

> One cocktail bar.

>

> Louisa.

Adventure Bar was started by an ex Be@One people I think.... it was a bit of a rip off of their idea, old school tunes played loudly /cheap cocktail pulling joint. The LL Adventure Bar is a poor imitation of the original B@One, has enamel stripping cheap end ingredients in their drinks and cant see it being around too long.

All this irrelevant anyway as the Electrical site would never get late night licence, nor is it in a sensible location commercially to sustain it. Make it a cafe/restaurant again but do it well, cater to a day crowd and have a hook for families and it could do alright.

A decent cafe which can afford the bills and would be welcome is Gail's. Be very easy to pop in on cycle home along the rye for bread etc. Based on the other Gail's in Chiswick etc it'd be absolutely hoaching. We went to Gardens once, had coffees which were milky crap, not the strong flat whites we ordered and yes service was very very slow. Never returned after that.

GEEKASAURUS Wrote:

> A decent cafe which can afford the bills and would

> be welcome is Gail's. Be very easy to pop in on

> cycle home along the rye for bread etc. Based on

> the other Gail's in Chiswick etc it'd be

> absolutely hoaching. We went to Gardens once, had

> coffees which were milky crap, not the strong flat

> whites we ordered and yes service was very very

> slow. Never returned after that.

You know there is a Gail's in Dulwich Village?

Yep, it's not on my cycle to work or home, it isn't on my walk to the station and I'm not going to drive to the village for bread. If making a trip for breakfast then the lido is best. Gail's is up and up and sure the spot would suit them. Now I've unfortunately joined the swelling ranks of those wishing x and y would come to ED. Argh!

I like the french sourdough and the bran muffins. Coffee also good. Bread rankings locally for me (very important subject) are 1. Campaillou (sold in Homemade, not sure where from), the Rye sourdough from Brickhouse and then the half sourdough from (I think blackbird).

DulwichFox Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> -----

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Did not know the Electrical Shop Caf? was

> > > Licenced.. ?

> > >

> > > Foxy.

> >

> > DF, Twirly said she was GIVEN lots of free

> wine,

> > so all off the clock, sounds like a nice treat

> for

> > Twirly and friend by a good host.

> >

> > Wish I'd gone in there more myself now.

>

> NO.. Twirly said ' He mentioned that they were

> applying for a later licence, possibly till 9.

>

> That would suggest they were already licenced..

>

> and I said. 'Did not know the Electrical Shop Caf?

> was Licenced.. ? '

>

> Foxy

It was well over a year ago, so I might not have got the nuances of the conversation correct in my post. I had the impression that they wanted to stay open later in the evenings to serve food, presumably with a licence. Thinking back, I think that they must've been licenced, as my friend (who's birthday it was) may have had a glass with her lunch, I was supposed to be driving later so didn't, but changed my mind as the rain was torrential that afternoon. The free wine was connected with a private event they were due to have later in the evening I recall.

• 2 months later...

EPB Wrote:

> I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the

> excellent electrical shop on North Cross Road,

> near the chip shop.

I think it's more light fittings & cables rather than usb & computer bits.

I called the agents who are apparently renting out the old electrical shop and the rent being asked is ?35.000 pa - they told me they had over 20 offers at that price already. An enormous amount of money would have to be spent in order to make any kind of profit in this space - I wouldn't give it a go!