colyton-peckham rye lights

davidh

these "new" lights (never demanded by residents, but installed at great exepense) were once again knackered over the bank holiday weekend. it was the usual problem of the colyton road lights staying on red, forcing motorists to take a chance and jump the red or turning round going the very long way around peckham rye. can nothing be done to ensure that these lights work properly? we are all getting very fed up with it.

Bad news for motorists and pedestrians. I'd also like to add that the time allowed for pedestrians to cross before the beeps stop and the green man light goes out is much too brief - even for someone who walks at quite a fast pace. Puts people with kids and buggies or with mobility issues in quite a precarious position.

I had the same problem at this junction last Thursday lunchtime. I was waiting to turn left from Colyton Road into FHR and the lights were stuck on red for absolutely ages, whilst the lights controlling traffic on FHR and Dunstan's Road changed frequently. As I don't use this junction very often, and am not familiar with the traffic light sequencing, I was not confident enough to try and jump the red light. Eventually I crept forward nearer to the junction and waited a moment, thinking I would have to make a move, when the lights suddenly changed to green.

I wondered if there was a camera or something that registered whether vehicles are waiting at the lights at Colyton Road, and it was only activated when I was actually right on top of the junction, having already crossed the line?

Whatever the problem, I hope it is sorted out soon.

Cathy

Hi all, I will report/find out about these lights and if it's a triggering issue or if they have failed. Hi Matt, I have looked into this before, this is the TFL standard for pedestrian crossing at traffic lights. The green man and beeps do go off before you have crossed, but the red light still remains red, the idea behind this is that people theoretically don't start to cross at the end of the pedestrian phase.

Renata

Hello. I've just registered having seen this topic. I (with my 3yr old) use this junction as a pedestrian all the time and got fed up enough with the too short crossing time that i decided to try and get it changed. I found a councillor called James Barber and have sent an email.

More importantly though, Southwark Council are consulting on it and inviting your views. Basically they are deciding whether or not to keep the lights or get rid of them completely, at least I think thats the two options. I had to read the page several times before it became clear.

They were put there 'temporarily' - which turns out to have been a lie - when extensive works were taking place some years ago. I can't see as they make the driving experience more pleasant, though I do understand that they might help with road safety for pedestrians.

The 5 year old temporary lights (nothing wrong with them) were replaced earlier this year, for reasons known only to Southwark Council.

The new lights are apparently motion activated. Or something. Maybe magic pixes. And the bulb lenses are the brightest red, the most soothing amber and the rarest green man has ever discovered.

They have really helped improve road safety and been a fantastic and efficient investment that the local community cannot imagine how they ever lived without. In retrospect the disruption was really worth it. Keeps civil servants and civil contractors in business too.

As a Colyton resident I go through these lights either by foot car or bike every day of the week. Sometimes all three. I love sitting there on my bike for 5 minutes wondeing how the DIY shop makes money, whether the cafe will be gentrified at some point and why the dentist has moved 2 doors down.

If youre in a car, the trick is to stop short and then ease off your brake a little, roll forward and hey presto you can trick the sensor (pixie) in to thinking there is another car there and they switch to green. Off you go.

The reasons for the lights being replaced were down to TFL and not Southwark. The lights did not conform to TFLs current standard. There was extensive consultation over whether the lights, that were initially temporary should stay or go. Residents voted that they should stay. The consultation was in spring 2012.

I have reported that the lights are not working properly.

Renata

Thanks for the update, Renata. I'd definitely recommend responding to the consultation (thanks for the link, Longshanks) - it only takes a couple of minutes. However the lights are supposed to work it's clear they're causing confusion and frustration for many motorists. As for pedestrians, most follow the green man and beeps rather than looking at the traffic lights so it's not great to feel hurried to such an extent - less of a problem in the summer months but what about in wet and icy conditions?

neilson99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

.... wondeing how the DIY shop makes

> money, whether the cafe will be gentrified at some

> point and why the dentist has moved 2 doors down.

>

I've often wondered the same thing!!lol