Followed and threatened on FHR

Hickory

Hello

Last week I walked up Forest Hill Road at around 9:45pm. A young guy on a bike trailed me all the way from the junction of Friern Road past Ryedale. First he was cat calling, then made more serious sexual threats which became more aggressive. Since there was not a soul around, and Ryedale was very dark, I was incredibly scared. Thank you to the couple who eventually took care of me..I was not convinced I'd make it home.

I hate posting bad news on here, but just want to ensure that everyone stays safe! I did call 101 but the police have dropped the case as the crime is not deemed significant enough and they are suffering huge budget cuts.

Usual common sense applies - take a torch, tell a family member where you're going if you're out at night..etc

I have heard of others being attacked going home from the Rose..

I am not familiar with that stretch of road at night, but I am told the lighting is not to good. ??

One has to remember that Southwark council has more important things to spend money on other than Street Lighting..

..like paying someone to Paint Bollards.

DulwichFox

That sounds like a horrible experience. We need to get people like that off the streets all together. I'd recommend reporting it to the police. If other's have had a similar experience, they may be able to peice things together in order to 'profile' this excuse for a human being.

But she did report it to the police, she says above, and they don't consider it "significant".

Unless I have misunderstood?

I am appalled. This guy could go on to, at least, badly frighten other people and, at worst, carry out his threats. Budget cuts are surely no reason to put people's personal safety at risk.

What crime is that then? In my very limited legal knowledge it's a public order offence at most.

AcedOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Please, please ensure this gets reported. This

> idiot committed a serious crime.

Given the number of mobile phone thefts by people on bikes, some of which have been reported on the forum, might the person have been scaring you to find out what phone you might take out? Whatever the reason I hope you recover from it.

I don't understand why someone would beg you to report the event when you stated you already did. You had a horrible experience and if anyone is going to comment on it they should at least read what you wrote properly.

In the light of day, after the event, it is.

Public order probably..but at the time it happened..a girl, on their own

feeling, threatened in the night would get some sort of response, I'd think.

Even if it turned out to be just a stupid young boy.

EDOliver Wrote:

> What crime is that then? In my very limited legal

> knowledge it's a public order offence at most.

>

> AcedOut Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Please, please ensure this gets reported. This

> > idiot committed a serious crime.

As I said, I did report it to the police as soon as I was safely home. There was no way I was getting my phone out on a dark street in front of him. Here's what happened if you care to read on:

The police operator 'promised' a team would be out within the hour. I waited until midnight. Nobody came. They then called me randomly at 11am the next morning saying "we're outside your front door" which really ticked me off as obviously I was at work by that point. They then failed to turn up for 2 further arranged appointments.

When they finally came a few days later, they told me it was a public order offence. Had the suspect made physical contact, it would be something different. They said the Met have to be very selective about which crimes they follow up on due to diminishing budgets. I suggested that one of the shops may have CCTV, but the Met have passed a rule that CCTV will only be checked if there's a significant likelihood of credible evidence.

A police sergeant has since left me a voicemail saying no other evidence has come to light (ie case closed).

So yes, some guy threatened to rape me, whilst I hid in a stranger's garden and there is nobody who can investigate.

That's why I'm hoping the tight ED community will keep an eye out for one another, and remain careful.

Oh gawd you poor thing..hope you are ok?

I know that stretch very well - and have never had any trouble, but I can't imagine how horrid it would be if I did.

Just checking... you started before the school and kept on past Ryedale? Was Si Mangia not open?

When I come home late I always bank on 'escaping' there if I need to.

Thank goodness for the people who took you in!

The police appear to have dealt with this really appallingly badly.

I am sure you probably don't want to add more stress to what sounds like a really frightening experience, but I wonder whether there is some complaints procedure?

Too late for you, but it might help somebody else. How can they just not turn up for appointments?

Also, did they not offer you any kind of support? I can't remember what it was called, but when I was once burgled when alone by myself in the house, I was offered some kind of counselling by the police. I didn't take it up, but had I had a horrendous experience like yours I might have done.

ETA: So - they're not checking for potentially helpful CCTV images. Instead, they're going to wait until this guy makes "physical contact" with somebody. Oh, great.

I know, seems daft doesn't it. A few weeks ago my other half was threatened on the 197 bus by a guy with a knife (he said he looked "too funny looking"). The 999 operator took it very seriously, and said the police would intercept the bus. They never did. OH waited 25 mins on Waterloo Bridge for a car to arrive - nada. He went into Peckham police station to report it and the poor chap was so over-worked and said they wished they could do more but budget cuts had happened.... and on it goes.

Anyway. I'm not here to bash the police. At least we have lots of nice, selfless people in the area too!

This is probably going to sound really stupid but- if people broadcast the fact that the police are overworked on public forums then ne'er-do-wells may take their opportunities.... write to the MPs and Boris. After all Boris could take a leaf out of Rudy Giuliani's book. The HS2 project is beginning to look pathetic in the light of what is going on.

Hickory, what an awful incident you went through and I hope you're recovered from it, sounds like the worst sort of intimidation anyone should be put through.

Like yourself I've no desire to bash our cops, but citing budget cuts on the occasions you've contacted them seems at the very least less than appropriate, if not highly insensitive to someone approaching them when in serious trouble.

Perhaps consider, if not a complaint but maybe a word with a local senior officer about having a word with his people.

Glad you're OK and well done to the people who assisted you.

So, Hickory, as you said: 'When they finally came a few days later, they [the police] told me it was a public order offence.'

This, after "some guy threatened to rape me, whilst I hid in a stranger's garden"!!!

God, the local police need to get a grip on themselves. Hope you're over the shock. He was just a little shit on a bike, but I'd have been scared too, with no one around. But, even so, when all's said and done, he's just a little, sad shit.

Has ED got enough people to form a Neighbourhood Watch group?

Definitely wouldn't want to see people cowering indoors and/or getting any more menacing-looking dogs instead of making the area feel safer.

Police walking 'on the beat' were always a good idea in prevention measures. Ditto bus conductors. The great advantage they had was knowing lots of local people, seeing and being seen.

Hickory, sorry to hear of your terrible experience. Glad to hear you're okay and that people stepped in to help.

That stretch of road is scary, about well over a year ago I was followed by a bloke on a bike although he didn't make any verbal threats just intimidated and unnerved me as he cycled alongside, then went ahead, stopped, seemed to be waiting on me. It was around a similar time in the evening and I was relieved when other people appeared ahead.

I hope the police are able to follow your case up given the verbal threats you received.

Hickory,

That is awful. It is strange that someone can be given quite a tough penalty for doing much the same on twitter at distance, but if they are following you, presumably looking for an opportunity to carry out what they threaten, then it doesn't quite count. Of course, I know that twitter gives solid evidence and a trail to the culprit, but it is discomfiting to learn that the police are able to do so little.

I hope you are okay.

Don't know how it works now but a few years ago the police would have known the guy

from being on the beat or from previous (these people tend to repeat what they do)

- so he would have had a visit next day.

Maybe they still do - but don't tell us ?

numbers Wrote:

>

> I hope the police are able to follow your case up

> given the verbal threats you received.

xxxxxx

numbers, the police have said that they will do nothing, due to "budget cuts" :(