stats on local gun and knifing victims

In C4's series of programmes this week on knife and gun crime, the head of A&E at Kings said (I think) last night that last year 319 victims of knife and gun attacks were treated in King's A&E. That's around 6 a week. I'd imagine the bulk were knifings - the programme didn't give the breakdown.

For London you can get all the stats you want from the Met

Last year's summary data Apr 07 to Mar 08 is here

Or you can look at any particular month/year just here

Don't forget to balance the figures against weight of population - more accurate figures are crimes per head rather than totalrimes as it gives an idea of 'risk'. Mind you, for the EDF risk is pretty nnon-exisent for being suject to a violent crime in the locality.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For London you can get all the stats you want from

> the Met

>

> Last year's summary data Apr 07 to Mar 08 is here

>

> Or you can look at any particular month/year just

> here

The head of A&E at Kings said hospital figures for knife and gun victims were more reliable than any others (perhaps because everyone gets hosiptal treatment, but not everybody is counted in the police stats).

Also note that in the case of Southwark, victims in the orth of the borough would be treated most likely at other hospitals (Guys/St T's etc.)

An 'offensive weapon' could be anything: a machine gun, a knife, a brick, or even a blunt pole supporting a banner at a demo. Wthout a further breakdown of the police stats into actual weapons/implements I don't think we learn much.

>

> Don't forget to balance the figures against weight

> of population - more accurate

Um, I think you'll find both types of data are equally 'accurate'. It's just that one set is absoluate and the other relative.

figures are crimes

> per head rather than totalrimes as it gives an

> idea of 'risk'. Mind you, for the EDF risk is

> pretty nnon-exisent for being suject to a violent

> crime in the locality.

Yes, 'in the locality'. Most people don't actually spend 24/7 on the streets 'in the locality' though. I'm much more likely to be in the street somewhere like Camberwell or Peckham or Elephant (such as travelling late at night) than I am in ED: when I'm in ED I'm usually in my house.

Louisiana are you Fisking me?

Not sure why, I wasn't saying the figures were good or bad - merely pointing out where you could find them ;-)

I agree with you totally of course, some injuries won't be reported to the police, and if you travel in high risk areas at high risk times then of course you are under high risk :-S

However, I do think we should keep things in perspective and comparative numbers often help. I don't believe in scaring people. Our victims of violence are only a fraction of those in other developed countries, and whilst it doesn't make any crime good, it does help us to build from a positive foundation rather than fear.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the tabloids are trying to scare everyone about knife crime because they're fed up with Gordon Brown and are hoping the electorate will lurch a bit to the right in response to their fears?

I have a sneaking suspicion that in a few weeks we'll be back onto binge drinking or dangerous dogs or whtever else is the flavour of the month, irrespective of the statistics.

Yes and No James - I do think that you have massive point as it seems like the media are enjoying whipping up social problems at the moment, however, I cannot remember there ever being so many killings locally, and certainly I have never felt as uneasy on the streets round here.

Hope not.....

Drink blamed for an outbreak of violence

? Previous ? PreviousNext ? Next ?View GalleryPublished Date: 01 October 2007

By Victoria Taylor

Crime reporter

Police chiefs today hit out at binge drinkers after a spate of alcohol-fuelled violence in Portsmouth.

And police say it was women who were to blame for many of the drunken incidents at the weekend.

Inspector Jon Snook, from Portsmouth Central Police Station, said: 'It's disappointing that stupid people go out drinking to excess and clearly come ouADVERTISEMENTt of venues having drunk far too much and problems occur outside.'

His comments come as police continue with Operation Drink Safe ? the News-backed drive to cut alchol-fuelled crime.

Drunken incidents dealt with by police at the weekend included:

A 22-year-old man covered in blood who was assaulted in Guildhall Walk at 2.35am on Saturday.

Two 32-year-old men handed ?80 fines after being arrested for public order offences outside Yates's Wine Lodge shortly after 7pm on Saturday.

A 23-year-old woman from Kingston, Portsmouth, suffered an inch long cut on her forehead after being hit with a bottle at Club 8 in Guildhall Walk.

A 20-year-old woman, from Fareham, and a 21-year-old woman, from Gosport, were arrested on suspicion of assault but both released without further action after the incident at 11.30pm on Saturday.

A door steward was assaulted at Jongleurs in Gunwharf after a woman was asked to leave the nightclub at 11.40am on Saturday.

A 24-year-old woman, from Southsea, was arrested on suspicion of assault and released on bail until next month.

A 24-year-old man called police to say he was assaulted inside Liquid Envy nightclub in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth, in the early hours of Sunday.

Outside the club a 20-year-old woman from Havant was grabbed by the throat and thrown to the ground by a man at 1am on Sunday. She refused to press charges.

A 24-year-old man, from Havant, was spotted by police shouting foul and abusive language in Guildhall Walk at 2.45am on Sunday.

He was later handed an ?80 on-the-spot fine.

Ratty, I take your point that we do seem to be in the midst of a 'spate.'

But I wonder how many similar crimes went unreported before the media's current obsession? For example, during the Madeleine McCann feeding frenzy...

A friend of mine in the media says there is very much a "If it Bleads, it leads" mentaility at the moment. I do think you have a real point mate. Something I have been thinking about for some time now.

• 2 weeks later...