Too many trees in East Dulwich. (Lounged)

jrussel

I recently felled a tree in my back garden because it was causing subsidence (or so the insurers told me) and I genuinely felt guilty for weeks after and I really do miss looking out at it. I for one love trees and I think the world has lost enough of them over the last century so let's give our big mates a break, and how about we cull the poster who made this thread and plant a tree in his/her honour? :-)

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently felled a tree in my back garden because

> it was causing subsidence (or so the insurers told

> me) and I genuinely felt guilty for weeks after

> and I really do miss looking out at it. I for one

> love trees and I think the world has lost enough

> of them over the last century so let's give our

> big mates a break, and how about we cull the

> poster who made this thread and plant a tree in

> his/her honour? :-)

What a pity Russelia - not be of tree stature - won't fit the bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russelia

>

> Louisa.

Sorry to go of topic for a second but, I think it's fairly relevant.

Can anyone help me with the punchline to an old joke.

There's a sign outside an arborists saying TREE FELLERS WANTED.

Wish I could remember the rest, but I think it involved an Irishman.

I think as well there may have been another Irishman.

And on reflection apart from the owner of the business I vaguely recall the other character may have been Irish too.

If only I could put it all together.

Anyone?

Sadly, I can. I'm sure this is racist in some way and will taint my username for ever and ever. I apologise in advance to any Irish people offended.

Two Irish men, out of work, pass a sign with TREE FELLERS WANTED written on it. One says to the other, "Aaah, if only there be one more of us, we could apply for that..."

Doesn't work in print, really.

Bloody hell Ms B and Loz, I make an innocent enquiry about a joke and end up with a torrent of what can only be described as oppressive stereotyping.

From what I can see you appear to be implying that the Irish people involved took the sign to be literally written in spoken 'Irish' vernacular and made a foolish error thereby missing out on an opportunity for gainful employment.

I find myself reduced to lowering my eyes, and shaking my head from side to side, more in sorrow than in anger.

Ms B Wrote:

> "...they're looking for tree fellers and there's

> only two of us."

Ms B, I can't recall if the chaps in question had any relgious affiliation, but if they were Irish Catholics wouldn't you think they could muster at least one other relative to make up the numbers?

Loz Wrote:

> Sadly, I can. I'm sure this is racist in some way

> and will taint my username for ever and ever. I

> apologise in advance to any Irish people

> offended.>

> Two Irish men, out of work, pass a sign with TREE

> FELLERS WANTED written on it. One says to the

> other, "Aaah, if only there be one more of us, we

> could apply for that..."

>

> Doesn't work in print, really.

Loz, i think I can confidently say that the Irish people will not judge you harshly.

The Leprechauns on the other hand are a law unto themselves...

Dear jrussel,

I suggest you go visit New York City and see what Central Park is like and speak to any New Yorker about what that city would be like without it.... they don't call it the lungs of New York for nothing.

Nice controversial post - isn't that what the forum is all about - but I doubt you'll get much support on this issue.

-C

As one of the resident Paddies I am letting this one slide.. ;-)

As for that Telegraph story.... I'm tempted to agree with the accusation - children aren't born liking or disliking spicy food as a race.. that's learned behaviour

As for jrussel and his trees - spotted thatagenda from the original post and am just waiting for him/her to come clean

Loz Wrote:

I give you in

> evidence

I especially liked this bit "The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."" Do you think they'll be setting them targets?

Sean, kids are born not liking spicy food, that's why first foods are always bland, and parents have to introduce flavour so they can learn about different foods. I'm amused by the idea that failure to teach a child that spicy food is nice is racist, though.

Oh, you were joking. :-$

On topic, still not agreeing with jrusssel at all and awaiting his draft letter with interest. However, am enjoying the freshness of an unabashedly different point of view - absolutely agree this is what the forum is for!

candj Wrote:

> Dear jrussel,

>

> I suggest you go visit New York City and see what

> Central Park is like and speak to any New Yorker

> about what that city would be like without it....

> they don't call it the lungs of New York for

> nothing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere - maybe when I was travelling to Liverpool for the first time? - that Central Park was originally modelled on Birkenhead Park. (Likewise many countries' national parks took our own scheme as a model.)

Moos Wrote:

--------------------

>

> On topic, still not agreeing with jrusssel at all

> and awaiting his draft letter with interest.

> However, am enjoying the freshness of an

> unabashedly different point of view - absolutely

> agree this is what the forum is for!

I am currently working on my letter. I will post a copy of it here once I have finished and will also report back on any response to it.

London is already far denser than most new world "Houston" style cities - I dont see it needs to be much denser than it already is.

Even so, I cannot see how cutting trees will aid this aim! If we want to increase density (e.g. around public transport and business nodes), this is already happening with increased apartment building. I mean there is no more open space for more houses, further development can really only be apartments. There are few trees holding up this sort of development.

They should encourage more midrange in inner areas, and high-rise where appropriate. There is no reason why much of docklands shouldnt be 30+ storeys, large areas of SE1 (and similar inner city suburbs) 15-20 storeys. A few hundred / thousand blocks in these semi-brownfield sorts of areas will provide an efficient suitably urban environment with adequate services for those who want it, while easily allowing people to walk to work, as well as sucking up forseeable population growth.

Part of the great things about London IMO is how villagey and country it can feel just a couple of miles from the centre. Id hate it to become Tokyo.

http://www4.tsl.uu.se/~pomp/pictures/ND2001%20-%20Tsukuba/in%20tokyo/24%20-%20view%20from%20tokyo%20twin%20tower%203%20-%20tokyo%20.JPG

Oh god here we go again, not seeing the wood for the trees. I think he/she has a point, the problem in Southwark (particularly) is that trees have been planted inappropriately. Large trees should be planted where they can grow fully (i.e. parks open spaces etc) and smaller trees along the byways and highways. I would call that planning. I also think the pollarding of trees is cruel and disfiguring. If said tree had been planted in the right place it would not be necessary. And here?s the controversial bit, I'd be all for the removal of large trees which are clearly in the wrong place, if they were replaced with smaller trees. No doubt I'll be hanging from one of the larger ones after the next forum drinks. Altogether now, ?I?m a lumberjack, and I?m ok?