Converting old photos to digital

MoysieC

Does anyone have any good tips for this?

I want to create a 'This is your life' book for my Mum's 70th using a digital package but not sure where to start in converting the old photos. All tips gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

My hubbie says you can convert to jpegs if you open them and then click save as and change the file extension to a jpeg. But yes also try photographing the original photographs and compare the quality with the scans to see which better. All a fiddly job but one of my best received pressies in recent years was an album made via an apple package.

The output as pdf only will likely be due to the way a human has configured the associated software, perhaps for simplicity or standardisation. Most standard formats should be available from most scanner software.

For DIY, you could certainly also try a camera, using the finest image ratings. Something in the 3000x2000 area will obviously give you a decent dpi count. Best use natural light and get all images, even of b/w photographs, in full colour; and save in the first instance in an uncompressed format if available, rather than in a compressed one. There are also free image viewing/editing programs available, such as Irfanview and Xnview, that let you do post-transfer tweaking.

bornagain Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all,

>

> I am a book designer and offer a bespoke service

> creating beautiful one off gift books and photo

> prints for special occasions. I can scan old

> photographs and retouch/colour correct them so

> they look as new.

>

> Pls pm me if you are interested.

Following an enquiry, posting a sample of what is possible. The original is a rather faded photobooth snap. The finished product is a gliclee print on textured uncoated heavy card, dimensions 25cm x 16cm.