What is East Dulwich Missing - Food Wise

• 2 weeks later...

Having just recently moved from Herne Hill I must say that we are really loving the area and all the treats Lordship Lane have to offer.

However, despite HH being much less vibrant and lacking in the 'heart' and 'town centre' that Lordship Lane provides, their pubs (e.g. The Prince Regent, The Florence to name but a couple) served rather awesome food, especially the Regent and we visit on Tuesdays for their superb pub quiz.

Lom Bok on Half Moon Lane is a lovely little Thai restaurant, then there's Number 22, also on Half Moon Lane does lovely tapas and a short walk to Brixton brought forth the delights that Fujiama (http://www.newfujiyama.com/), a rather excellent Japanese Noodle Bar (think Wagamama but cheaper with more choice) had to offer.

Fortunately most places deliver to ED but it would be lovely to walk out to grab a Bento Box and/or sushi etc...

I also love Turkish/Lebanese/North African food... are there any places that offer anything like that nearby? Love a bit of Mezze, lots of smaller sharing dishes really suit me down to the ground.

Would also love to see a dedicated steakhouse - unless there's one I'm unaware of? I do love the half price steak on a Monday that Locale has to offer though, they know how to cook it!!

Have to agree with our new ex-HH arrival that that little strip before the lights is delightful. Lombok beats any Thai we have in SE22 and the Spanish tapas place is top-hole in terms of food, service and atmosphere. If only the Three Monkeys were to come back! The Provencal (?) place on the corner is great for unfussy but good nosh. There's nowhere like any of those in the LL area, which is dominated by pubs and curry houses - mostly good, I add.

tarafitness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I also love Turkish/Lebanese/North African food...

> are there any places that offer anything like that

> nearby? Love a bit of Mezze, lots of smaller

> sharing dishes really suit me down to the ground.

>

xxxxxxx

Try Hisar on Lordship Lane, they have a great value thing whose name escapes me (I'm senile and it's late) but you get loads of little dishes (meat, fish or veggie options) for a reasonable amount of dosh, and it's all delicious :)

I'm about to move to East Dulwich from Shepherd's Bush - and the only place I've tried in ED so far is Green & Blue, for a quick lunch. I'm looking forward to trying the Sea Cow's fish & chips, and Le Chardon. But in an ideal world it would lovely to be able to get any of the following more locally . . .

Lebanese

Iranian

Szechuan (an outpost of Soho's Baozi Inn would be wonderful.)

Moroccan / other N. African

Japanese - and I agree, not just sushi. And please not Wagamama!

Ethiopian / Eritrean - I'm going to miss my injera fix!

Ganapati has a lot of fans. I like it. It is the only South Indian place around here. Supposedly there is a new South Indian vegetarian restaurant being opened up on Lordship Lane by the people who own SMBS foods and the Cheese Block. It is where the old Chopsticks restaurant used to be.

Dolcetto Wrote:

> I'm about to move to East Dulwich from Shepherd's

> Bush - and the only place I've tried in ED so far

> is Green & Blue, for a quick lunch. I'm looking

> forward to trying the Sea Cow's fish & chips, and

> Le Chardon. But in an ideal world it would lovely

> to be able to get any of the following more

> locally . . .

>

> Lebanese - south of the river? You're having a bubble. You'll need to go back to SheBu or Edgware Rd for that

> Iranian - ditto

> Szechuan (an outpost of Soho's Baozi Inn would be

> wonderful.) - can't offer Szechuan but Silk Road in Camberwell is an amazing Xinjiang restaurant

> Moroccan / other N. African - pass

> Japanese - and I agree, not just sushi. And please

> not Wagamama! - pass

> Ethiopian / Eritrean - I'm going to miss my injera

> fix! - Asmara in Brixton is the place to go - have the feast menu complete with coffee ceremony

This is more of a suburban area than Shepherd's Bush, and you can't expect to have the same range of restaurants within a short journey. Frankly an Iranian or Lebanese place would struggle to survive - unless it was bloody good. What we have here is mainly tried-and-tested generic Indian/Thai/Chinese/Italian, plus a decent gastropub and a nice Modern British(?) restaurant.

But if you expand your search to the wider South London area you'll find quite a few Japanese and African restaurants (as well as discovering the joys of the local bus routes).

Hi David and Jeremy - of course you're right - I know ED is not W12. There several aspects of the Uxbridge Road I am NOT going to miss!! I was having an unrealisitic fantasy moment (hence the 'ideal world' comment).

I should probably jump threads to get restaurant reviews (i.e. which is the 'decent gastropub', and which is the 'nice Modern British') / details of local farmer's markets, right?

Sue: Thanks, I feel like a complete wally forgetting about Hisar as we buy from them all the time! In fact the evening of my last post I realised I'd left it too late to cook so went and picked up some of their lovely chicken shish kebabs... so tasty and low fat too... the people are alway so lovely in there as well, definite incentive to revisit!

I've not actually eaten-in there before though, it's just not occured to us to do so!

Nero - agreed about 3 Monkeys... although it was called Mela for as long as I lived in the area. I'm so sad it closed down, the food was excellent, especially as it was on the Tase London network so got it for half price!

I went to another Mela in Shaftesbury Avenue (I think!) but although the food was good, it was sooo super salty, had to drink half a litre of water the minute I got home!!

I love Dulwich Tandoori though I must say :-)

But yes, definitely no shortage of curry houses!

We ate at Le Chandon recently, loved how quirky the place is. I had the ostrich steak, it was beautiful... as was the flaming tarte tatin (sp?!)... wooooow, it was amazing! That's also on the taste london network so 50% off food, sweet :-)

Has anyone eaten at the Thai Restaurant on the corner of North Cross Road? It always looks so busy!

tarafitness Wrote:

> Has anyone eaten at the Thai Restaurant on the

> corner of North Cross Road? It always looks so

> busy!

xxxxxxx

The Thai Corner Cafe is relatively cheap, and you can take your own wine or beer in which makes it even cheaper.

However (in my experience) the food isn't that great and the portions are so small it's the only place I've ever eaten where I came out still hungry after a starter and a main course!

I've lived in ED since it opened, and I've been there many times over the years, but I've given up on it now, sadly.

• 1 year later...