What is East Dulwich Missing - Food Wise

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I just don't get the whole raw fish thing... Then

> again, I don't get the whole cooked fish thing

> either, so I'll just go and make a pancake.

>

> In all seriousness, I had the idea of opening a

> creperie some years ago, and more recently have

> discussed it with Mrs Keef, but I just don't think

> I'd know where to start, or have the bottle.

There's a mobile creperie in Hampstead that regularly has massive queues.

With Hampstead being everything most in East Dulwich want to be, I could see it working here too.

Creperie is a great idea.

Or how about a bagel restaurant? In Charlottesville Virginia USA, a university town that's culturally very like East Dulwich*, they have a restaurant called Bodo's Bagels. For years Bodo's has been THE place that folk like to meet to eat.

* Full of professionals, young-ish, strong community spirit, centre of town full of restaurants, lots of trees...etc.

Wagamama - rubbish.

ping pong - microwave food?

M&S - don't you think they are seriously overpriced? you can cook a similar dish for the same price but double the portion.

yo sushi - people have been to Japan would know how much a plate of salmon sushi cost in a similar style restaurant. Why do you want to pay ?3 for a plate of warm fish on rice stayed on the belt for > 3hours? The real sushi is in Camden (Asakusa)

I have enough of those 'upmarket' restaurants with poor quality of food. They stole the idea overseas and then repackage so they can charge more. I just want a decent meal that is honest and authentic.

I think a cr?perie (mobile or not) is a great idea! I have coeliac condition (an intolerance to gluten) so if anyone does run with this, can you make the savoury galettes out of buckwheat flour like they do in most authentic cr?peries in France?!

Cheers!

And personally I'd kill for a decent "proper" Mexican restaurant. Not the typical Tex-Mex joint! If it were good, it would make ED a destination venue for it; there are lots of foodie websites out there bemoaning the lack of a good Mexican in London. Mestizo (www.mestizomx.com) is, I think, the closest there is - though I've heard good things about Green & Red (http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10974.html).

Agree with most other choices:

Sushi

Seafood

Noodles (not a chain like Waga's)

Creperie (yum yum - although NOT like My Old Dutch - great disappointment)

No-one has suggested a pie, mash and eel shop.............. what about our London 'roots'?

And please please please NOT a Giraffe...........

Well we have a cajun/soul food place on Grove Vale and I'd say it's been there more than 10 years. Best Caribbean food takeaway for miles and frequented by all nationalities. It the guy made it into a restaurant more in the 'heart' of East Dulwich along Lordship Lane, he'd do well.