What is East Dulwich Missing - Food Wise

I'd love to see a veggie place - doesnt need to be strictly veggie/vegan only but if it was predom V but had a couple of meat dishes for the carnivorous among us that would be great!

I am also love a noodles place, soup with noodles, noodles with chilli, noodles with mushroom, yummy udon noodles, rice noodles.. I could go on and on..

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @ MM

>

> For a decent fish restaurant (albeit a French one)

> try the Lobster Pot in Kennington.

Is it still there - I remember it when I lived in Kennington 20 years ago but assumed - without checking that it had passed on.

looks like we may well be getting a co-op if the soimerfield takeover goes ahead - looking likely I think.

Steak house wouldn't do it for me - I'd love a proper italian - like buena sera in CLapham junction. Friendly, proper pizzas, fnacy if you fancy it - cheapo if you don't ... kids in the daytime, grown-ups in the evening - relaxed and delicious. The anit-thesis of poncey.

A decent Vietnamese like the ones in Kingsland road up in Dalston. Superb food and great value. I love Greek food so would be happy with that. Get rid of the naff Mexican please - could that place have looked any more tacky and empty? Oh and obviously we don't need a choice of 8 curry houses so a good Chinese like Ping Pong would be good.

I'd like to see a South Indian restaurant (dhosas etc) along the lines of the Ravi Shankar in Drummond Street (but with less surly service :) ), and the Sri Krishna in Tooting (if the latter is still there!) I know we have loads of Indian restaurants in Lordship Lane already, but Southern Indian food is quite different.

Somewhere with decent home made almond khulfi (spelling?) would be good too - best I have ever had was at the Ravi Shankar. Most Indian restaurants seem to buy in this vile boring stuff.

I'd also like to see a Japanese Wagamama type noodle restaurant in ED, of reliable quality - there's Fujiyama in Brixton, who will deliver to East Dulwich if you don't want to trek over to Brixton to eat, but it can be a bit variable depending on what you order.

Now I'm getting hungry .....

:))

I second a South Indian restaurant. Ganapati is great, but it would be good to have one on Lordship Lane. A nice change from the type of Indian food currently available. Also an Indonesian would be fab...I long for rice tafel (not sure how you spell it).

There is (was?) a great place in Clapham called French Tarts, savoury and sweet takeaways, a great alternative to the bog standard pizza. That's one Clapham institution that I would be happy to import to East Dulwich. (And imagine all that hilarity every time somebody says 'what do you fancy?' and you can reply 'I fancy some French Tarts tonight'.)

Griddle me this.

Is there a saturation point for East Dulwich eateries?

Do we get to the point where a new one opens, is willing to run at a loss for a couple of years to get established (depreciation of refurbishment costs will take at least this long), this takes away the marginal sales (where the net profit lies) of a couple of established restaurants which then have to close.

Good point. Doesn't seem to have affected all the twee tricket cutesey shops though.

So what else do we need there if not another restaurant?

Something like The White Company for linens and clothes?

I think PRED* is pretty well covered for all its needs!

Or am I missing something.

Music shop perhaps?

*People's Republic...

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Griddle me this.

>

> Is there a saturation point for East Dulwich

> eateries?

>

> Do we get to the point where a new one opens, is

> willing to run at a loss for a couple of years to