The Duke (used to be Page 2/Village inn)

reds

We tried The Duke last night but it was shut! On closer inspection we (and another couple who had the same idea) found that it is always closed on Monday. I thought it was a pub?! Do any other pubs close on one day a week? I know some cafes and restaurants do. Will try again, am undeterred!

Hi espelli,

My name is Nick and I'm the new manager at The Duke. As you noticed we're currently closed on Mondays but we will review opening times for September. We are very much a pub though and I hope you will give us a try soon! If you want to give me your address I can put some vouchers in the post for you. The voucher entitles you to 20% off your total bill if dining at The Duke in August. If you have any other question I'm more than happy to answer them for you.

Hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Nick

[email protected]

Having now visited the Duke a couple of times I have to agree with the positive reviews of this place. The place looks and feels so much better than previous incarnations and the food really is superb (and very reasonably priced). I really hope it takes off as with this place, the Rye and The Nuns Head this little corner of Peckham/Nunhead is really turning into a decent area for a great night out.

Great Sunday lunch today - lovely crackling with the stuffed pork - good value at ?10. Pretty empty when we arrived, but liked the look of the place. Had a drink and it was nice for the manager (Nick) to introduce himself. The stampede of parents and buggies started at 1pm, but there was enough space for all.

Liked the dining room and the serving staff were all friendly and attentive. Desert was a little disappointing (apple crumble and clotted cream) - mentioned it would be better with single / double cream and a little jug was immediately produced

Would have mentioned the slow service, but the looked like they were doing their best at a busy time. Its early days yet

Like the idea of bar snacks - but those Scotch Eggs have to be pretty good at ?4 a pop !

Will be back

Went there last night for the first time, and had a bar snack.

The thick-cut chips were excellent, but I was rather taken aback by the very small portion for ?3.

I was slightly disappointed by the atmosphere - found the lighting too harsh (and the tealights didn't come out till very late on in the evening ..... though the harsh lighting remained) - whole place felt a bit bare and "cold" (not temperature wise) - hopefully they will have some lovely real fires in the Winter which will make it seem more cosy.

Do agree it's the best of the recent incarnations, and the wine was good (comes from Green and Blue apparently) though not much choice by the glass.

We went to the Duke for the second time last night. The food was fantastic -some of the best pub food I've had and on that basis am already planning my next visit. The service is lovely and the pub has a really nice atmosphere. Was a shame to see that on a Thurs night the place wasn't busier (although I could come to regret posting this if it becomes as full as places on Lordship Lane). Its also definitely a pub rather than a restaurant meaning that if you just wanted to drink that would be fine.

Re my earlier post - what I should have said was that even though the pub wasn't very busy, it somehow didn't feel like sitting in an 'empty' bar so on that basis I'd be happy to go back on a weeknight too. Beats the crush at the Bishop any day! Could quickly become my favourite pub in East Dulwich / surrounding areas.

I may just have to venture that way this evening... Our local is The Herne but getting a bit weary of the service at the moment and the food wasn't up to scratch on our last 2 visits. Plus really must stop just walking 3 minutes down the road and branch out a bit - sheer laziness!

What's going on at The Duke next Friday Sean?

I went for the first time last night - mindful that my 20% voucher runs out this weekend

Arrived at about and was shocked how empty it was - my mate and I plus one other person in the front bar (and no bar staff); that said the 1930s wood panelling, local pictures and comfy furniture look great and once talking we didn't really notice we were alone (the other guy had left by this point) - music was exactly the right level to give atmosphere without being unbearable

Only downside (sorry to disagree with most other posters) was the food - maybe we ordered badly, but the burgers were distinctly average and took 45mins to arrive; the main dining room was about 60% full by this time so the chef shouldn't have been overworked - we were also slightly disappointed that they arrived with only 6 anaemic chips on the plate and in a supermarket style burger bun

Would definitely go back for drinks and would probably give the rest of the menu a try just to see if it was a one off

Mike - you should become pub-reviewer-in-chief.. you seem to be pretty bang-on with recent posts

It is a shame the front bar isn't busier - ditto Hoopers bar. But unless more of us put our money where our mouth is and go to the type of bar we say we like.....

Spot on about the burger as well - everything else I have had on the menu was great but pubs don't get burgers right it seems.

Still, should be busier next Friday - I'm looking forward to it more than usual

good lunch in there today following the recomendation here.tad expensive but tasty as hell. someoene had the dim idea of painting over the speaaker grills so the sound in there is pretty wierd. the theme tune from shaft with the wakka wakka guitar

muted out with the midrange for example/

funtime though

We went there last night for a meal. The crab was excellent as were the steak and mushroom pie and Caesar salad (the salad was a zillion times better than Liquorish's version .....)

Wine also excellent. If I was being picky, the chocolate brownie was slightly dry - I like them really moist in the middle.

Liked the music choice (Beatles to Willy Mason via Leonard Cohen :)) ) but it was on a loop, so when the tracks came round for the second time we figured it was time we were going - not a great idea if you want to keep your punters in there as long as possible!

Was sadly empty for a Saturday night though (though we did get there early to be sure of a table in the back room, then moved to a sofa once we had eaten .....but was still far from busy when we left, tennish ....)

But we'll be back!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mike - you should become pub-reviewer-in-chief..

> you seem to be pretty bang-on with recent posts

why thank you! wish i could make it on Saturday but will be on my way to the west country for a weeding