Living in Sydenham/Penge East - thoughts?

DelB

EDT, Franklins, Thai Corner, Tandoori Nights, Le Chardon, Blue Mountain, etc were all there in the early 2000s. It had a nice feel to it (and it still does, but in a different way).

Never came here pre 2000, but have friends who had a student house in ED and they reckon it was a bit shit.

But in places like Sydenham, you still need a fair wad of cash to buy a house these days... if people have the money to eat out frequently and buy expensive junk, maybe businesses will spring up to meet the demand.

Thing Sydenham Road needs is a couple of nice bars/pubs. They recently gave the Railway Tavern a lick of paint and changed the name to something like The Pavilion, but it's still the same old boozer from what I can tell. There is The Dolphin (sister pub to The Dartmouth Arms) further down, and the Golden Lion, both of which are okay, but there is a big stretch with nowhere attractive to stop for a beer.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDT, Franklins, Thai Corner, Tandoori Nights, Le

> Chardon, Blue Mountain, etc were all there in the

> early 2000s. It had a nice feel to it (and it

> still does, but in a different way).

Lots more options now, but yes in 2001 we moved here and it was Franklins, CPT and EDT for beers, and Tandoori Nights and Le Chardon for eats (even Westons/Springers a couple of times).

Anyway back to Sydenham...I'm sure it will get there in time. I had a mate in Penge until 3 years ago and there were a couple of decent bars then.

If anyone fancies a cheapish pint in a "proppa" pub, give Fox's on Kirkdale a go. It's actually owned by the same lot as The Castle, it's ?3.30 for a pint of Kronenberg, they have a pool table and show the footy. It doesn't feel rough even though some of the locals might be a bit rough around the edges.

I usually pop in on a Sunday for the football, and have been made to feel really welcome.

And they do Tavern Snacks Cheese & Onion, which makes them alright in my book.

Jeremy Wrote:

>

> But in places like Sydenham, you still need a fair

> wad of cash to buy a house these days...

xxxxxxx

Really?

I was in Sydenham this morning, and looked in an estate agent's window out of interest, and was amazed at how much cheaper flats and houses seem to be there than in ED.

We are thinking about Sydenham but what are the primary schools like? We've looked around Haseltine, which was certainly very impressive but I found the situation of it relentlessly urban - all you could hear from the playground was the roar of traffic. And there's Alexandra Junior - but to get into the infant school you need to be living right down at Kent House. We like the Thorpe estate but couldn't work out what schools were on offer - Adamsrill, I guess - what's it like? We would need to be close to Sydenham station for transport.

Our daughter is at St Barts which after initial doubts (about the religion) I'm very pleased so far because they seem to care about the kids. The one thing I wasn't impressed with is the head, but she's retiring at the end of the year.

yes, we looked around Eliot Bank and liked it, but it's right at the top of Sydenham and has the catchment of about a yard so not much use if you're further down towards the centre I guess. I always think of it as a Forest Hill school, even though it's got an SE26 postcode.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Bore off Unlurked. I've never seen any form of

> crime in the 2 1/2 years I've lived in Upper

> Sydenham and I use the station regularly.

I've never seen a murder or rape but know they happen. Duh.