Living in Sydenham/Penge East - thoughts?

DelB

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> People get murdered in East Dulwich too.

>

> Duh.

I know they do, but I don't promote ED as a crime free zone or think it doesn't happen because I haven't witnessed it.

Since when is having a different opinion trolling ffs?! I still maintain that both places are rough etc.

Sounds like Unlurked has no idea what they're talking about...

With regards to forums, there is the Virtual Norwood forum which is pretty good and well used by the Penge/CP/Sydenham types as well as Norwood. A lot of us still use the EDF too as it is so well used and we're not far away geographically...

Otta Wrote:

> And they do Tavern Snacks Cheese & Onion, which

> makes them alright in my book.

So does the Ivy House in Nunhead. (sorry I know this thread is about other places but just had to say!)

Also found it very welcoming, really well worth a visit.

unlurked Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > People get murdered in East Dulwich too.

> >

> > Duh.

>

> I know they do, but I don't promote ED as a crime

> free zone or think it doesn't happen because I

> haven't witnessed it.

> Since when is having a different opinion trolling

> ffs?! I still maintain that both places are rough

> etc.

No - not rough. Better than some other parts of South London but nowhere near as 'polished' as ED. Penge has seen various positive changes over the last few years in terms of pubs and shops.

lastminute.mum Wrote:

> Hi

> We're taking our equity and moving from East

> Dulwich to Upper Sydenham.

> Can anyone recommend a babysitter? And is there

> an equivalent to eastdulwichforum?

> Cheers

There is Crystal Palace Life forum that covers Sydenham and Penge too - worth a look, and they are having a social on 6th Dec at Havana House bar in CP http://crystalpalacelife.com/index.php/kunena/what-s-on/708-crystal-palace-life-christmas-social

• 7 months later...

I live in the part of Sydenham described as 'bleak', but a big thrrruuuuuurp to those that think that way as what we lack in daylight in our Morlock existence, we make up for in value for money housing and the ability to get to Beckenham, Forest Hill (straight up Perry Vale) and the Dolphin (the best pub in Sydenham with a fantastic garden). We also have an art gallery and these best Indian Restaruant for miles (the Lemon Tree), the best Italian Restaurant for miles (Trattoria Raffaele)). 3 bed houses with 50 feet gardens were about ?300k a year or so ago (lots more now, which is pointless) and kent is on our doorstep. Dulwich and Crystal palace are a short drive away.

There are lots of parks (Mayow being a favourite with it's lovely playground and table tennis tables). East Dulwich isn't far.

One advantage about living in the bleak part of Sydenham is that it encourages you to go to other areas. The two body parts sticking out of my arse, known to many as legs, have many uses, one of which is to transport the rest of my body to other areas other than the one within a set radius of my front door, either by using different modes of transport or literally by putting one foot in front of the other to move this Neandethal car us around under it's own steam.

So if you like good transport links, a good community, great value housing (for London), space, the final frontier and the ability to get to places that have a great high street to spend the money you don't have and aren't bothered too much by the generally shabby state of Sydenhams ever improving high street (wine bar being built, Greyhound being done up by Christmas, new bar in Kirkdale, new deli, organic food store/market opening soon, new deli in Kirkdale etc) plus the fact that I live there, which should be good enough for anyone, I'd recommend it.

sydenhamcentral Wrote:

> One advantage about living in the bleak part of

> Sydenham is that it encourages you to go to other areas.

Laughed out loud a little bit there!

I love Penge, bit rough around the edges but then so am I!

Forget Blue Mountain Cafe go to the Blue Belle Cafe opposite

Friends of Flavours - Italian restaurant

Alexandra Nurseries - Plants etc and great cafe

Ollie's Fish & Chips - take away Maple Rd

The Bridge House pub - good beer garden and even has a theatre

The Moon & Stars - one of the better Wetherspoons

Practical, if not pretty, high street

The Wetherspoons is good, but not very family friendly despite having a family area. We were made to feel so uncomfortable by the staff that we left without finishing our food.

I'd go there for a pint though.

I like the caff on the high street by the post office with the yellow sign. Propa dirty.

And having walked past The Crooked Billet many times thinking it looked rough as fuck, me and a mate went in there the other week and it was really friendly.

Sorry to get technical SC, but how do you manage to walk when your legs stick out of your arse, as you have revealed yours do? Do you lie in a horizontal position while you put one foot in front of the other? If so, that's rather clever.

BTW I'm called after an old rustic Archers character called Zebedee Tring who died in 1973 (fictionally of course).

I think you may be confusing arse with the aforementioned word followed by the word 'hole'. At the bottom (clue is in the name) of the part of my anatomy that is kept in place by the screw in my belly button, on me at least, are two limbs. Perhaps I am different to others, or perhaps I walk funny.

I've heard of the Archers. Didn't they go into business making peach snaps? Are you sure you aren't named after a character in The Magic Roundabout and the place where they made Dinky Toys?

No, The Archers is a BBC serial that has been running since as recently as 1951.

I'm quite certain that I'm named after an Archers character since I chose the name myself. Please see the reference to the late Mr Tring in item 21 of the following link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7778242/60-things-you-never-knew-about-the-Archers.html

• 2 weeks later...

Penge is changing a lot. It has all the benefits a previous poster listed but is still relatively cheap compared to its neighbours. The transport options are terrific too. Two train stations (plus others that will take you to Charing X and Cannon St nearby), one of which is on the ginger line, plus loads of buses and the tram just round the corner plus it has CP Park on its doorstep.

For more info join the Penge Tourist Board on Fb.