* four page clear out - happening soon *

Administrator

• Administrator

I'm fed up of businesses not following the simple rules.

Especially the rule about stating your ED address.

It's usually broken by businesses outside ED trying to sneak in.

"Blaaa, but we provide a service to people in ED", "Blaa, but our customers are in ED". You sound like BT, or Sky or similar.

So someday very soon I'm going to look through the first four pages of the business section. If businesses have broken the rules repeatedly then, as them there rules say, I'm going to delete all their ads and ban them.

HelBel65 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can I ask what's wrong with a business from

> surrounding areas advertising on the EDF?

> I have more than once recommended businesses to

> EDF from further afield eg

> Bromley/Beckenham....usually ones I have heard

> about here!

> Just curious....

> Helen

Isn't it obvious? It's a local forum for local residents. Other areas have their own forums so why not advertise there? It's about supporting your local community.

Well, no it isn't obvious which is why I asked.

Off the top of my head I've used a car valet and a cleaner that I found recommended on the EDF, both of whom I subsequently recommended myself. Neither of them turned out to be local to ED but they are within a couple of miles. ED didn't have a mobile valet then, maybe it does now. I found it a useful recommendation and wanted to pass it on but maybe that was the wrong thing to do....H

Yes, it is very obvious. There have to be some limitations on advertisers. Admin doesn't get paid and can't monitor every single post on a daily basis. As far as I know, there's no rule against recommending people from elsewhere but they're talking about people advertising their services by posting.

Administrator; I am with HelBel for certain businesses.

Many handymen I have used at my home have been based outside "Dulwich"; but are close enough to regularly serve the area. I agree it shouldnt be a free for all, but dont delete those who genuinely provide a good regular service to the area. Equally, I think the forum should be for local businesses only.

As you say, its a case by case basis.

• Administrator

How on earth are we meant to police that?

They provide a good regular service, let's allow them.

They only provide a good service every two out of five times, they're not allowed.

That builder's in Brixton, is he allowed?

That is on Franklin Grove SE25, is he allowed?

Where is the boundary?

Sorry, I understand what you're saying but taking into account the resources behind the forum we have to keep it simple.

Hi Administrator,

I've just seen this thread and was wondering why businesses must be registered in ED to promote themselves here. I have a masseause visit me each weekend (she travels from Battersea but gives me an amazing massage at a great price). I get my food delivered from Occado because it makes sense to me to get it delivered and not traipse down to the high street.

What is the purpose of the forum? A communist "lets just shop/support our local area just because that's what we do", or is it about connecting residents and sharing tips on how we can and do find services in London? If it's the former would I be banned from asking about RAC versus AA?

This all seems very petty to me. I am blessed to have the money to live in ED, however I personally want to mix with the best people for the job, not just those with enough cash to live in the area.

With the utmost respect, I do take exception to the elitist stance you appear to be taking. Look forward to hearing your thoughts though.

Ce

Lets face it Google is AMAZING *coughs* I'm sure if you're really looking for something that is not in ED you'll be able to find it with a little bit of time taken using the internet (which you're currently using to access the EDF...)

You wouldn't access the NHS website to enquire about petrol prices now would you?

• Administrator

The very first line from the rules page:

I'm pretty strict when it comes to this section of the forum so please don't complain when you break the rules and I enforce them. - Admin

You didn't put your address in your post (doesn't have to be in the subject line).

• Administrator

No I am not joking. Of the following three adverts (temporarily reinstated so I can provide evidence to defend myself again) there is no address.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1099292

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1112526

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1119654

Yes but I did put it on there as soon as I realised what my mistake was. I am sorry , I wasn't intentionally not following guidelines , and I did message to make sure that was where I was going wrong after. Please can I have my post re-instated, it's taken me a long time to build up my recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it isn't my place to say this and admins' ruies etc BUT I do think there is some degree of risk in small, one-man businesses being forced to put their address on any listings.

I completely understand if you have a registered office or a storefront but if you work from home, or operate your business from there you are essentially also putting your home address out for everyone to see. I'm a East Dulwich based photographer and it would be great to work with more local peeps but I don't really want to post my home address up here, and I'm sure those with valuable tools or other equipment might be equally reluctant... Especially as about 50% of posts on the forum are about crime in the area...