Worst storm in 26 years Monday 28 October - updated 17:08

xcweather reported 45mph, gusting to 66mph, at London City Airport for the half hour to 06:50. No idea if there are any more bits of the tail to pass through in the next hour or so, but they have it a lot quieter at 09:00. It looks to me as if the forecasters and National Rail got it just about right: several surface sections of the underground are reported halted because of fallen trees.

"Is there any evidence of double decker buses running?

Hubbie is still insisting on getting into work early despite the warnings and thinks the

Live Bus checker is accurate!"

Buses all running fine - I left at 6:50 and had no problems. And Live Bus is as close to accurate as you can get so I'd say he's right

great big beautiful tree snapped in half on dovedale rd, neighbour's car flattened (literally):-( . was driving wee one around this morning in an attempt to get him to sleep and there didn't seem to be too much more damage, although it did occur to me how difficult it us to avoid tree lined roads in this area! the reason we love it here I guess!

So a bit of wind and rain the odd tree comes down etc etc... I do often have to bite my tongue when it comes to British weather stories. We even have a local councillor offering live updates on the situation. I guess it's good preparation for the half inch of snow we may see in January.

Louisa.

Apparently 220000 homes without power in south of england according to Sky

If you haven't been affected then well done, bully for you and be glad

the constant sniping and cynicism is pissing me right off tho

It's grown--ups jobs to monitor and track things like this and warn accordingly - it doens't guarantee anything, but it does allow people to take precautions if the worst happens.

The worst hasn't happened and people seem to enjoy taking the piss about it

fucks sake

Yeah it was a lot calmer than I was expecting. But council seem v well prepared, which is great. Closing down rail services may seem extreme on the face of it, but would be irresponsible to run trains full of passengers when there's a clear risk of an accident.

muffins78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is the worst over now? Every time I think its

> calm, it appears to pick up again? I see some

> pictures on BBC news on Herne Hill, they've had

> some tree damage too!

Poor old Herne Hill have had a bit of a shit year.