>

> the patch -- which has had a sustained relentless

> crap attack since day one

>

> or

>

> toasted - which had initial praise then dead

> silence

The Patch isn't a *ahem* "Patch" on Toasted, by a country mile. One is run by experienced operators who've been learning their trade at some of the top offers in London. And the other being operated by inexperienced "partners" learning as they go.

?16 for a breakfast is so way off the mark, it's ludicrous

A slice of sourdough toast with fried eggs, sausage and bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding, hash browns, house baked beans and fried bread ?16.00

Unless tho it's the sharing breakfast at http://thehawksmoor.com/wp-content/uploads/menus/GH-Breakfast.pdf

Hawksmoor breakfast

For 2 to share

?35.00

Smoked Bacon chop ? Sausages ( made with Pork, Beef & Mutton ) ? Black Pudding ? Short-rib Bubble & Squeak ? Grilled Bone Marrow .trotter Baked Beans ? Fried eggs ? Grilled Mushrooms ? roast tomatoes ? unlimited toast ? hP Gravy

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...and if we just go over the border to SE5 we

> could add just off the top of my head, sad but i

> guess inevitable

>

> ...the Denmark

> The Athanueum

> The Orange Tree

> The Admiral Codrington

> The Windmill

> ...and one up Camberwell New Road on the right

> whose name escapes me

>

> ...and I am sure some more

But have all these totally closed and been turned in to flats or the like? I know loads of pubs don't make it, but most are taken over by another pub rather than closed down completely.

Yes that was The Heaton Arms.

Which reminds me, what was The Nags Head before it was the Nags Head (which I think happened late 90s). Was trying to remember the other day. An old mate of my dad's who is no longer with us used to drink in there and I remember going to meet him in there occasionally in my late teens.

But there have also been non pub premises turned into pubs, although not many.

Eg the Draft House space was a greengrocer originally and on the other side of the road was Boho a new licensed premises, cant remember?

Not that either have flourished exactly.

Also ToastED is now a licensed premises and when I arrived it was a sandwich bar type place.

So..... lots of places where people are drinking - just not pubs.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Adventure Bar was Cheltenham Building Society..

>

xxxxx

It was indeed. I used to have an account there.

And ToastEd went through several incarnations before Green and Blue, including a brief period as a strange sort of bistro with red checked tablecloths, which never looked very inviting really.

???? Wrote:

> ...and if we just go over the border to SE5 we

> could add just off the top of my head, sad but i

> guess inevitable

>

> ...the Denmark

> The Athanueum

> The Orange Tree

> The Admiral Codrington

> The Windmill

> ...and one up Camberwell New Road on the right

> whose name escapes me

>

> ...and I am sure some more

Didn't most of those close down before 'gentrification', and because the new wave of residents to the area do not have a pub culture?

Agree with Jah about wanting a pub to remain there rather than flats, thats why still frequent but just don't spend as much or as often but move on to places where more comfortable. Would rather the pub side improved.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Mr Ben is spot on in that there has been a

> persistent bunch of moaners who haven't even

> stepped through the doors yet. If you must moan

> about it, do so from experience. I want the place

> to be successful as I'd hate another pub in the

> area to close down and turned into flats.

Going back on topic I would agree that there seems to be a whole flotilla of people who seem to have been negative about The Patch since even before it opened. And echoing the comment of another poster aside from the ?16 breakfast

The rest of the prices on the menu are no more than Franklins which is also a favourite of ours.

I really want this place to succeed, mainly because its great to have a local restaurant option which isn't just another Indian restaurant or chain eatery.

I think locals should be chuffed that new businesses chose to invest in our area rather than the likes of Clapham or Tooting.Rather than just morning the loss of another mediocre drinking place.

I haven't posted very much but have been watching this. I've eaten there twice now and the food was excellent, I reckon probably better than the Palmerston. Please at least try The Patch before you judge it. I understand that the beer selection is now larger (but I don't drink beer so can't comment on the quality).