southwark council service charge

fredbear

Spoke with the CAB they said Southwark had a right to make charges as in lease.They also said to ask SWANNS the contractors what they did for the testing.As this was a council contract the council would have to do this for me, i have asked JAMES BARBER if i should do this but he has not replyed back.He also asked the council to look into the charges for this testing and they were going to report back to him but i have not had a reply from him about this.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Check the Eighteen Month Rule. Get advice from

> the Leaseholders CAB. Were you at the LAS meeting

> as advertised? You'd have heard about it. But

> look them up and call them and try meet them.

Here's the18 month rule:

Demands for service charges

All demands for service charges must be in writing and must contain the landlord's name and address. The service charge is not payable until this information is given and if the landlord's address is outside England or Wales, the demand must contain an address in England or Wales at which notices may be served by the leaseholder.

Normally the lease will provide for the service charge to be demanded in advance, but occasions will arise when the demands are issued after completion of the works or provision of the service. In these cases a statutory time limit applies: the landlord must issue the demand within 18 months of his incurring the cost. If the demand is provided later than this, the landlord cannot recover the costs at all, unless a notice is served during the 18 months stating that costs have been incurred and that the tenant will be required to contribute to them by payment of a service charge.

Any service charge demand and reminder letter after 1st October 2007 (30th November 2007 in Wales) must be accompanied by a formal summary of rights and obligations whose content and form is prescribed by Parliament.

We have also had a similar charge for electrical testing despite the fact that we don't have any electrical equipment that is outside our property as there are no communal parts to our "block". We have also had brand new electrics fitted over the last 18 months and never been requested or allowed access by southwark council, yet they still insist this has taken place.

We constantly have issues with the way they carry out works or not depending on what suits them rather than what is required by them as leasors.

fabfor thanks for outlining the details of the 18 Month Rule.

That's what I got 'em on.

They wrote a Section 20b about my owing them more than I'd originally paid, within 18 months. Then about a year later they wrote an invoice to demand it, with an extra ?900 odd on top! I got advice and they took it off. HAD I NOT known about it the thieving money grabbing amateurs would have got away with it.

The problem with the 18th month rule is that if they issue you with an estimate it does'nt count.With sevice charges they send an estimate out in the march.See homeowners guide.

e.g.An estimated bill must eventually be followed by an actual cost. There is no time limit when the actual figures must be produced.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> fabfor thanks for outlining the details of the 18

> Month Rule.

> That's what I got 'em on.

>

> They wrote a Section 20b about my owing them more

> than I'd originally paid, within 18 months. Then

> about a year later they wrote an invoice to demand

> it, with an extra ?900 odd on top! I got advice

> and they took it off. HAD I NOT known about it the

> thieving money grabbing amateurs would have got

> away with it.

"Thieving money grabbing amateurs" - a big Amen to that, Pecks. They also behave like archetypal bullies - rude, vicious, blundering and unapologetic.

They had promised to check overcharging me more than 5 years ago but have failed to do so. When I delayed payment in protest, they wrote to my mortgage provider, who, without consulting me, drastically reduced my credit facility! I don't swear but ******!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

We challenged this with the council as the only block lighting we have is a couple of shared lights in a communal alley that we share with our downstairs neighbour. We were unaware that anyone had visited - they need to ask for a key for access - so we asked when this happened. They sent us a photograph of the outside of our house as 'proof' that the contractors had visited and we challenged this saying that this only proves they were outside the house and suggested they challenge the contractors. They did this and the contractors admitted they hadn't visited so the council admitted that we should not have been charged. We had already paid the money so they refunded the money. This is clearly a scam on the contractors front and I can't help but wonder who it is in the council that is letting them get away with this. My husband had to exchange a load of emails with them before we got to the bottom of it all and the thing that got them to realise that nothing had been actually done was him asking them to send us a description of the work that they claim had taken place and were invoicing for. They couldn't. So they had to admit nothing had happened.

I urge everyone to challenge them on this. It is so dodgy.

our flat is the same, downstairs is coucil with a small communal entrance with two lights.we asked for details of what they had done and were given a visual report.how they gained entrance we do not know.i have sent many emails to chris flynn but he just says what "has" been done.i will ask for proof that the contractors have been. thanks

definitely push them for proof. If they would have needed to gain access then they need to be able to say how. My husband said that he kept badgering. There was nothing there to inspect other than two lights so he asked how the costs broke down to cover that. The high price of these 'inspections' are extortionate (the charge for the whole property was over ?500 which we were to split with downstairs) and completely out of proportion with what they are saying they are doing so even if they are doing these inspections (which they definitely did not in our case) they are completely outrageous. Someone is making a profit out of this and the housing team really do need to address this.

I'm looking to buy an ex Southwark Council flat but please can anyone tell me whether I'm able to put in my own gas meter or not? I seem to have conflicting information from Southwark. On the one hand they say you're not allowed to disconnect from their district heating systems on estates but on the other hand they say there is an admin fee of about ?750? I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this.

Hi all

Regarding any council service charges that you feel are far too high, I earlier recommended that you go straight to the Home Owners Unit in Rotherhithe and speak to the person named on your invoice.

I still recommend this. After pursuing my own case with them, they first - as I said above - knocked ?900 off it realising it was outside of the 18 month rule - and now, they tell me they have 'adjusted' it again and knocked another ?600 off. Had I paid the ?2,100 without questioning they probably would never have done anything. Now, I only owe roughly ?500 odd. I have asked for a detailed statement including reasons for the deductions.

Meanwhile, anyone receiving statements should have also received a leaflet from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

If not, here are the Leaseholders CAB details:

020 7237 9532 and [email protected]

Go get 'em!

Thanks for all your suggestions on this, wise forum people. I've been chasing this up for months, but have finally had some success by emailing Gerri Scott as spider69 suggested.

I got a reply yesterday saying this: "I have looked into this matter and understand that a decision has been made by the Head of Maintenance & Compliance, and Home Ownership Services; that electrical works carried out by Swann will be reduced by 47.4% and credited to your account."

I also queried some work that contractors said had been carried out, but hadn't been done, and they failed to produce evidence so the charges for that were removed too.

Hope everyone else gets a reply soon, too.

well done verds.at last some good news.we still are not getting anyware and were thinking of giving up but this has given us new hope.i am going to ask the council to get a breakdown from swanns plus photos of work done plus a plan of entrance hall with items marked.anyother addvice you can give would help.thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the very useful tips.

Ive just written to Gerri Scott for an explanation of my actual service charge for 2012-2013. I've pointed out that my half-share of the fifteen minutes it took the electrician to bolt on 3 earth straps, works out at a rate of ?5,004.96 per hour!

Swearing's a useful tool which I must learn to use....