southwark council service charge

fredbear

Yes I sure need to consider an exit plan, I don't see these major ever stop.

I'm kinda trapped for the next few years though as selling now would not be wise. Maybe soon after these

major works are complete and before they decide to start inviting more surveyors to have tea meetings

and find more excuses to overcharge the vulnerable leaseholders.

It would be great to hear of other people who have similar problems and or if anyone has actually managed to bring their major work bill costs down at all? And if so what were the procedures..

Ta!

Well, I've had the 'revised' bill for the 10-minute job swapping earthing wires (there's no block lighting). Reduced from total of ?425 to ?223. ?223 for swapping earthing wires in a box (my share is around ?107 now and upstairs neighbour the rest)! So have now put in a complaint to Des Meneghetti in service charge department and have copied in Gerri Scott. So the nightmare continues...

And ridiculously, every leaseholder affected has had 47.7% taken off the bill, irrespective of what was done.

They really deserve a slap. I did read somewhere that in smaller blocks neighbours could get together and if they found a cheaper company to do a job that the council were happy with they could hire them.

Certainly this is the case with the annual gas servicing checks. The guy I found through here is cheaper than what the council's own company charges.

Incidentally, we all HAVE to get our gas items checked annually which is right and something I highlighted years ago when we were told we were not entitled to have them done when the company was doing all the tenants' flats. I suggested this was a tad dangerous and irresponsible. So now we all have to get it done. And yet I have never been asked for evidence that I have had this check. So there may be loads out there that save their money.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, now I'm furious.

Southwark said they'd reduce the ridiculo-costs of the 'electrical checks' done by Swann Services by 47 percent, but now they're saying that's 47 percent off the total amount, which they'd already made a section 20 adjustment on. So they're offering me ?27.24 off the huge bill.

Anyone else had any reply from them?

I'm amazed, Verds. That explains why my upstairs neighbour and I still have to pay around ?223 for just changing an earthing wire. I've started a stage one complaint about it with Southwark council and I suggest everyone else does to.

Taking 47% off the incorrect total amount is probably due to incompetence and stupidity on their part, but it could equally be policy to get more money from us. I shall await my letter.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm amazed, Verds. That explains why my upstairs

> neighbour and I still have to pay around ?223 for

> just changing an earthing wire. I've started a

> stage one complaint about it with Southwark

> council and I suggest everyone else does to.

>

> Taking 47% off the incorrect total amount is

> probably due to incompetence and stupidity on

> their part, but it could equally be policy to get

> more money from us. I shall await my letter.

What happened to the action expected from Cllr Peter John after you met him at your flat, Did you ever hear from him again?

No. But I think he might have sped things along regarding receiving the letter telling me 47% would come off bill - it didn't say off original incorrect bill though! You've reminded me to contact him again to tell him about this fiasco. Oh God, it never ends with Southwark council...

Any further updates from anyone?

I'm following this thread as I have just been sent my right to buy notice from southwark council along with a huge 'capital repairs' bill and service charges for a 1 bed flat in a building which totals only 2 flats.

Southwark council are cowboys and I will dispute every bill which comes my way!

*Tee*

I wish I could, unfortunately, waiting for 5 years to have the works done isnt something I can do.

interestingly, Southwark council are trying to charge me for things that dont apply to me, such as Estate lighting, communal gardens, etc etc. All of which I dont have. It is a 'street' property, and not on a estate. A small hallway, with 2 light switches and 2 light bulbs is all that features in my box of hallway.

I called the homebuyers department to question the high service charges and high capital repairs bill and she kept saying that the charges are correct.

Not sure who to contact now, as I am not currently a leaseholder, but about to become one.

A lot of things on the Right to buy paperwork don't seem right to me and I need some helpful advice, before I sign up to this......

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Another thing that gets my goat is the 'desktop' valuation, I have received instead of a actual one. How can you value a property without visiting the property?

The whole thing is soooo dodgy,I feel so cross that someone, somewhere is plucking figures out of the sky!

*Tee*

we always querie any mention of estate work and ask them to remove it.ours is a one bedroom flat in a terraced street with council tenants below.same type of hallway.we have just got an ammount of approx ?1.50 removed for estate work and last year about ?4.50 i know they are only small amounts but they should not be there.

*Tee* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wish I could, unfortunately, waiting for 5 years

> to have the works done isnt something I can do.

>

> interestingly, Southwark council are trying to

> charge me for things that dont apply to me, such

> as Estate lighting, communal gardens, etc etc. All

> of which I dont have. It is a 'street' property,

> and not on a estate. A small hallway, with 2 light

> switches and 2 light bulbs is all that features in

> my box of hallway.

> I called the homebuyers department to question the

> high service charges and high capital repairs bill

> and she kept saying that the charges are correct.

>

>

> Not sure who to contact now, as I am not currently

> a leaseholder, but about to become one.

> A lot of things on the Right to buy paperwork

> don't seem right to me and I need some helpful

> advice, before I sign up to this......

>

> Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> Another thing that gets my goat is the 'desktop'

> valuation, I have received instead of a actual

> one. How can you value a property without

> visiting the property?

>

> The whole thing is soooo dodgy,I feel so cross

> that someone, somewhere is plucking figures out of

> the sky!

>

> *Tee*

What happens when you buy a L/H property from a Council your solicitor will or should have asked for a pre-assignment pack. What happens is the council will put in all possible future charges they can think off. This is to cover the future and your coming back at a later date saying you were not informed.

Also some leases show a generic heading for the area your property is located. Many years ago many councils just used a far reaching classified heading for where you might be. I.e your lease might show you in for example Bulldog Estate. This might cover many many square miles and you were only charged for you property because the estates officer knew your property, now because of cuts they will now say your lease shows you are on the estate and because of this we can charge you for estate works elsewhere if you don't like it go the the tribunial.

If it is not rectified before you buy you will be told you agreed the conditions of the lease.

Ex council properties are a minefield with ever increasing charges. You need a good solicitor

When buying my first floor Victorian terrace (like yours) I challenged the valuation, pointed out a few minor flaws to the district valuer and he knocked 20k off. It's a gamble but they're usually sympathetic to tenants.

It is a huge gamble.....But on the other hand my head is telling me that the councils desktop valuation have over valued my property by 25K....no one so much as looked at the property. There is one sizeable crack to the external wall and 2 on the inside. It may be suffering from some sort of structure problem but cant confirm this until I book a surveyor to check it out. In which case do you think i will be able to ask the council to re- look at the value based on the surveyors report or do you think the council will ignore my request and send me to the District valuer?

*Tee*

Further more.......

Can anyone recommend a good Right to buy solicitor who really knows there stuff when it comes to dealing with the council on purchases.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Would rather go with a recommendation than google search.

many thanks all

*Tee*

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've just been through Stage 1 complaints about this block lighting nonsense, to no avail, obviously. Lizzie Bean at Southwark Council Service Charges looked into it and said on top of the test and changing of the earthing wire, 'other elements' were included in the cost, such as 'resident liaison, including letters for access'. I reminded her that we were never liaised with, no letters, nothing. Electrician just turned up unannounced. Equally there was no need for access as our electricity box is in the porch outside the property. I concluded in my reply, escalating my complaint to Stage 2, by saying:

"That's a total of ?244.25 [between me and my upstairs neighbour - we're in a Victorian terrace] for a 10-minute visit to quickly test the box and change an earthing wire! That works out at ?1,465.50 an hour! Is this really what Swann are charging you these days?

"The only possible explanation would be that the earthing wire fittings were made of solid gold and the wire itself was diamond-encrusted.

"I am sure you would agree that the amount you are charging us is extortionate, whichever way you look at it."

Go figure. I shall update as to result of Stage 2. Here's hoping! How are the rest of you getting on?

Hmm. It'll just be an estimate, which you have to pay and then they refund what isn't used 10 months later - nice little number Southwark has there, and it's all done in a way that causes the leaseholder the utmost confusion. Not surprised your property is badly maintained - in the lease it says they must repair and maintain, but all their cowboys do is bodge and wreck! On two occasions they even managed to damage my interior, which they reimbursed me for. In the past 14 years I've received ?13,000 in compensation for damage done! It's an ongoing battle. And now the service charge department thinks it's ok to bully leaseholders despite their incompetence. Some of them speak to you like you're dirt, and have the gall to call our homes 'their' property! In which case, maybe I should get them to pay my mortgage! Urgh. I hate them.

Received ours end of january.Not gone up a lot but they included estate responsive repairs again even though the flat is in a terraced house in a street.Its only a small amount but they said they will remove it, we will see.