southwark council service charge

fredbear

How can they legally bill you based on only leasholders splitting the TOTAL cost of works to a block with some leasholders and some ouncil tenants? There has been a rumour for ages they wanted to do the windows at our estate and it would cost us leasholders ?30k EACH. My flat does not have ?30K worth of potential windows, unless they were made out of gold with diamond studs.

Hi all,

Could I ask which estate you're referring to and what exact service charge. Is it part of your annual charge or are you referring to one-off charges to do specific work? I live on the DKH estate and I'm a little perplexed by some of the bills coming my way!

Thanks

Challenge them. And remember that ?30k does not buy windows for a flat, ours is a 2 bed on a peninsular of a block, ie. windows on 3 sides plus French windows on to a private balcony, and they did new doors. Price in 2009 ?8,500 ish. So challenge everything and ALSO be ACTIVE in your estate and attend the weekly site office meetings which will be held in the builders' site offices on the estate, and if you can not attend them demand to see the Minutes of the same. On our estate only two of us ever attended those meetings and they were invaluable.

Hood83 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all,

>

> Could I ask which estate you're referring to and

> what exact service charge. Is it part of your

> annual charge or are you referring to one-off

> charges to do specific work? I live on the DKH

> estate and I'm a little perplexed by some of the

> bills coming my way!

>

> Thanks

Are these actual bills? Before bills are sent out you should have received in detail "A notice of intention" prior to tendering providing a 30 day oberservation period and then "A notice of proposal" along with a statement giving the result of the tender process. A 30 day observation period must be given to allow leaseholders to make comments on the prices received.

Both are important steps for initiating Major Works

Have you all seen the latest news in the independent? Looks like southwark council has been caught red handed giving back handers to contractors. If I was you I would contact the paper. They are running a campaign on the fleecing of leaseholders.

Having read the article linked - I don't see any suggestion that Southwark Council paid any such payments. Only the allegation that Southwark Council was overcharged for work not carried out by the contractor. Where does the allegation of paying backhanders come up?

Siduhe Wrote:

> Having read the article linked - I don't see any

> suggestion that Southwark Council paid any such

> payments. Only the allegation that Southwark

> Council was overcharged for work not carried out

> by the contractor. Where does the allegation of

> paying backhanders come up?

"Senior directors...received cash 'backhanders' in return for contracts...executives were secretly overpaid by corrupt individuals working for their clients, which include a number of councils and housing associations across southern England."

So the corrupt individuals were working on behalf of the council but there is no suggestion they included councillors.

That's how I read it - corrupt individuals in the council, overpaying presumably in return for backhanders.

Given the astronomical charges SOuthwark (and other councils) have been making for works, to me this appears to be corruption in plain sight - just very dificult to prove. Having a national newspaper on the case will hopefully have a bearing. Good luck all - I hope this makes your battles a little bit easier

Thanks - got that - but Mears have loads of clients including many councils - there's no suggestion in the article that Southwark one of those that paid bankhanders unless I'm missing something? To be clear, I'm not saying that they didn't but I just don't see how this article supports the statement that Southwark have been caught redhanded paying backhanders?

Siduhe Wrote:

> Thanks - got that - but Mears have loads of

> clients including many councils - there's no

> suggestion in the article that Southwark one of

> those that paid bankhanders unless I'm missing

> something?

"Alan Strong, a former regional manager, claims executives were secretly overpaid by corrupt individuals working for their clients...Mr Strong said he was first alerted to the alleged malpractice when he discovered MFS 'overclaiming and overcharging' on its contract with Southwark Borough Council in south London."

"MFS clients mentioned in Mr Strong?s witness statement include the London councils of Southwark..."

ETA The Independent is requiring you to make a few mental jumps admittedly but they can't name Southwark (or any other council) outright as receiving the backhanders as it's not been proven in law - this is just a report from an employment tribunal. Although it's clear to me what the article is saying.

reeko Wrote:

> Have you all seen the latest news in the

> independent? Looks like southwark council has been

> caught red handed giving back handers to

> contractors. If I was you I would contact the

> paper. They are running a campaign on the fleecing

> of leaseholders.

Thank you so much, reeko and PeckhamRose!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're all going to be reimbursed! I spoke to Nigel Rice at Southwark Council and he said there'd been a big error regarding charging us for things they shouldn't have and that they were recalculating bills. I and my neighbour upstairs, for instance, like one other person here, were charged ?425 for a 10-minute job just to change earthing wires. However, every time I ring Nige he tells me to ring Desmond Meneghetti in Service charges. Then when I do, Des says: 'I know nothing. They've told us nothing.' His department is apparently recalculating, but they've been given zero information. Hmm.

I suggest you all ring Southwark Council on a daily basis as I do, and ask for Nige or Des and pester them into the ground. I want reimbursing, not for them to sit on the money they snaffled from me. It's shocking, actually. And I don't believe it was an error, frankly. They just thought, as always, that they could get away with it. However, now they're waking up to the fact that we leaseholders are not stupid. God, I hate them... Are you listening, Gerri Scott?

buddug Wrote:

> Well, we're all going to be reimbursed! I spoke to

> Nigel Rice at Southwark Council and he said

> there'd been a big error regarding charging us for

> things they shouldn't have and that they were

> recalculating bills. I and my neighbour upstairs,

> for instance, like one other person here, were

> charged ?425 for a 10-minute job just to change

> earthing wires. However, every time I ring Nige he

> tells me to ring Desmond Meneghetti in Service

> charges. Then when I do, Des says: 'I know

> nothing. They've told us nothing.' His department

> is apparently recalculating, but they've been

> given zero information. Hmm.

>

> I suggest you all ring Southwark Council on a

> daily basis as I do, and ask for Nige or Des and

> pester them into the ground. I want reimbursing,

> not for them to sit on the money they snaffled

> from me. It's shocking, actually. And I don't

> believe it was an error, frankly. They just

> thought, as always, that they could get away with

> it. However, now they're waking up to the fact

> that we leaseholders are not stupid. God, I hate

> them... Are you listening, Gerri Scott?

Well done everyone! But knowing Southwark management's machiavellian mindset, let's make sure the adjusted charge isn't still too high.

Btw, I made a part-payment explaining that I would gladly pay in full if they explained the high level of charge. I also enlisted the help of councillor Gavin Edwards (excellent). In response, they reported me to my mortgage lender (again) who sent me a warning letter last week. Malice aforethought.

well done everybody,i was told that it would take 7-10 days to sort out by chris flynn.now to have a go about the major works completed in 2009 but for which they still have not produced the final bill it sill appears on the service charge as an estimated ammount.

As Fabfor says: 'let's make sure the adjusted charge isn't still too high.' Fabfor, this is exactly what I fear. But we have to keep fighting. However, I have to say I am absolutely - and I mean absolutely - gobsmacked that Southwark contacted your mortgage lender after you queried the extortionate charge. That is one for the Ombudsman, surely (unfortunately you'd have to go through Southwark's complaints system first though, but if you do, always copy in Gerri Scott to every email).

And Peckham Rose, you're bang on the nail regarding reclaiming interest on what they're sitting on.

There's something very 'nasty in the woodshed' regarding Southwark's freeholdings and use of 'contractors' for both leaseholders and council tenants. I do wish the local - and national - press would investigate them. The Indy article mentioned Southwark in the 'backhander' article. Something I've always suspected.

However, from my experience, there are now those in Southwark Council - Gerri Scott and Christian O'Mahoney, and for council tenants Cheryl Russell - who are sincerely trying to put things right. But I fear they are fighting a losing battle. There's just too much corruption - or maybe it's just incompetence - at every level...

Actually, I've just had a thought. Martin Green is the man to contact. I shall be doing so on Monday. He's the one in charge of this shambles and behind these bullying tactics you mentioned. Just ring switchboard on 0207 525 5000 and choose option 3 and ask for him.

Edited eleven times? What are you like!

Also important is to attend every relevant meeting you can.

And now you may have heard that Home Ownership Council and LAS are looking to possibly occupy a building together where we can go and discuss issues. This Is Good.

Thanks for the contacts!

I know! I can't help myself! I just felt it's such an important issue I needed to get everything down. Thanks for your info re LAS. I think keeping this thread going on the ED forum re updates is good. I've emailed Gerri Scott with a link to it so she knows the matter is now in the local public eye. They can run but they can't hide. I shalln't edit this!