Virgin Media outage SE22

worldwiser

I am no apologist for Virgin ( see http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,691135,801705#msg-801705) but am always in search of what exactly might be going wrong.

For the record I have had very consistent service/reliability from the package ( phone/tv/large broadband) for over a year. And over all the periods referred to in this thread, have not had a problem.

All this by way of suggesting that diagnosing a problem may be much more local ( i.e. house or street issue) rather than an area issue.

I agree about the call centre - it is pot luck whether the person at the other end is able to have a real conversation as opposed to reading a script

• 2 months later...

have finally binned Virgin media

6 x TV outages in a year (including one for a whole week) and a couple of phone outages

then long hold times for support, lots of frustration with people who I struggle to communicate with. Then offers of pro-rated rebates for loss of service which often dont get applied. More stress trying to get them to follow through on that.

My theory: virgin have capacity problems in a high-use area like this. Although they were the first to do fibre-to-the-cabinet, their network is now relatively old and cant cope

have moved to sky for TV - from what ive seen so far, they seem to do the whole customer service piece much better

some joker from Virgin phoned me up after I cancelled and promised me the earth for a huge discount. He also told me how hugely reliable they are and that sky will stop working if theres a breeze within a 1000 miles or something. I didnt take him up on his offer

Virgin broadband has been fine, so sticking with that until I can get BT infinity sorted out

I don't understand why the Virgin service is so very patchy. We had it installed when we moved here eighteen months ago and have only had a couple of very minor problems with it, both of which were sorted out very quickly.

In fact, one of them turned out to be something to do with the settings on my iPad, and it turns out that they have a special unit somewhere that knows about such things and talked me through putting it right.

And yet someone a few streets away experiences something quite different.

Can someone who understands all this IT stuff explain why this should be so?

The Build in East Dulwich was done by a company called Videotron. They used untrained staff who just didn't build a very good network. They even left trees unsupported next to the channels for the cable.

Virgin have been very successful in selling their service and have sold more than their capacity.

Virgin can be a bit frustrating. Fingers crossed it's been ok for a while. Also the time to fix faults is a lot faster than it used to be. All the suppliers seem to have their ups and downs. I keep meaning to do a broadband swap with my neighbours who are BT and Sky. Then if one of us is down we can do an emergency share of eachothers broadband.

• 1 month later...