Virgin Media outage SE22

worldwiser

We had Virgin broadband for 18 months because one housemate who was already here when we moved in had transferred it over from his previous property... needless to say it was total tripe for nearly the whole period. Kept cutting out every 10 minutes or so, and wireless throughout the house was very weak.

We installed Sky fibre optic broadband after seeing it was half price on the telly last month. We've had it since 1st Nov and it's been perfect!! strong connections and fast speeds. I really do recommend it - after suffering for 18 months I thought we'd be happy with any old crap but Sky has blown us away!

• 2 weeks later...
Our phone line has been out of action since Friday morning... the online status has been giving an estimated fix time of a couple of hours ever since, ie 12 pm Friday, then 4pm, then 6pm Friday etc ? now suddenly 6pm tomorrow, Monday! Not impressed. And I can't find a number that reaches a human. Hmmm.

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've given up watching tonight because the picture

> keeps breaking up. Is that what's happening to

> yours?

We've been having the same problem on one of our TVs. The other one, which has a TiVo box, seems to be working fine.

xavi Wrote:

> Have you tried switching it off @ the plug and

> leaving it for a minute or so, then restarting it.

> Worked for me!

Funny you should say that - I did exactly that, and it worked for me too!

Possibly one of the contenders for dullest thread on the forum, but Virgin Medias service just seems to get worse. Our TV and broadband are now out again for the second time this year and wont be fixed until Friday. A note through the door says we need a "noise limiter" fitted and to call their call centre.

They have one of the worst overseas call centres I've encountered....I cant understand them, they cant understand me and in the background you've got the constant yelling of the other operators. They will credit you for loss of service - four days broadband outage gets me ?5.37. You then have to speak to a different dept to get compensated for loss of TV service. But all this doesnt start to make up for the inconvenience if you work from home.

With this outage we'll have been 16 days out this year - I make that a 95% availability of service annually which falls well below most acceptable SLA's for basic IT/comms service.

I'm now officially looking at a dedicated line in via BT for serious home office use.

I know how you feel MrBen. After 10+ times of losing the tv and/or Internet this year we finally have switched back to sky. The excuses we were given ranged from our Internet was working too quickly(erm, not it wasn't), to the cat must be sleeping on the tv box (she'd have to be an acrobat to manage to get up and sleep side ways on the box), to large fast moving lorries going past the box outside must be shaking it (we live on a relatively small residential street).

And like you said it was just a case of pot luck over who we spoke to at the call centre. In one call, having been handed over to someone else 3 times, I was told completely different things. Also, a booked engineer didn't turn up after waiting in for 6 hours and we were told it was because they realised it was a local area problem at fault - thanks for the phone call to tell me not to waste my entire day.

They do offer you credit once you phone up, manage to get through, rant to at least 3 people and ask to speak to a manager, but it's little comfort when you've got no way of accessing the Internet to do your work - wow, you mean I don't have to pay for the service that you're not giving me - thanks!

Anyway, rant over! For us anyway, we would definitely not recommend them!

• 2 weeks later...

david_carnell Wrote:

> We have had no "on-demand" service for two days

> now.

>

> New Year resolution - dump Richard Branson.

Branson beat you to it David, he dumped Virgin Media long ago and it was sold to a US buyer earlier this year for many billions.

Interesting thread (sort of;-) ). Our by phone live has been dead since last Friday and even though by know what the problem is at the exchange they won't even book the job in until the 27th! Call centre people utterly useless, script reading at best. Was thinking of switching to virgin in new year but seeing this it seems pointless. Sigh......

We have BT broadband - Infinity I think - (but not the BT television service) in SE22 and it's rock solid reliable. You pay a bit more for the service but I can only remember one time the service went down in the last few years, and that affected most of the country. Speeds are fairly constant too - it doesn't fall off too much at peak times. Worth it for us.