Is "Peckham Rye Park" really "East Dulwich Park"?

Quaywe

Great news that Peckham Rye is getting a cafe!

My mum remembers shopping in Peckham with her mum as a young child (this would be around the early 50s). It was actually the epitome of aspirational middle class (nobody believes me!) and had a big department store with a doorman.

I had a Saturday job in Jones & Higgins shoe department. Once got a 50p tip (only got paid ?4 for the day) from a very nice American lady - it was the talk of the store!

In the 60's and early 70's Rye Lane had all the shops you needed. Don't think my Mum ever needed to go further afield for food, clothes, gifts etc etc. Plenty of independent shops, a good market in Choumert Road plus M&S, BHS, 2 C&As, large Co Op and several supermarkets. Started to go downhill when the shopping centre opened in Lewisham.

On Tuesday morning the rising sun was glowing orange through the trees of Peckham Rye park and there was a layer of mist just hovering above the grass and people wending their way to work were silhoutted against this beautiful backdrop. It was really gorgeous. So who cares what it's called when you can experience that, pretty much at the end of the road.

"my point was really about that fact that the park IS in ED, not Peckham so just wondered if it should be named accordingly."

Well after chatting to a friend he told me that long before ED existed back in the 1200s,we had the river peck,if you look at peckham rye common it dips from the sides into the middle,where the river use to be.By the river peck we had the village of hamlet.thus as we know it peckham.East dulwich was only wasteland at that time.So why should ED have the common named after them?The history of the park and common is linked to the village of hamlet and the river peck,not east dulwich

Historical reasons. This area was a farming area and Peckham was the market town - the Rye is identified as farmers fields and salad gardens on maps from the 1600s (I saw them at the British Library exhibition of London Maps a few months ago). The Rye was identified as being part of Peckham as was Goose Green (it being where the outlying farmers drove their geese to sell them to London traders). Dulwich was really a small settlement (a hamlet - hence the footie team).

East Dulwich did not exist as an identified place - that came in as the city grew and there was a need to differentiate the bit in between Dulwich and Peckham - which is why the area of ED is quite small.

Whilst Peckam Rye may be in the ED post code - its Peckham connections are far older than the Royal Mail.

Homework in next Tuesday everybody, Timmins - see me after class, stupid boy .......

Quaywe and all the Anti-Peckham brigade and denigrators.

If you don't like the name Peckham Rye Park, please propose a Local Referundum for a name change and give some work to the Councillors.

I don't care if it is called whatever is called, Peckham is certainly more famous/infamous than East Dulwich and shorter to pronounce and also sounds better to the ear...

So long live Peckham and it's parks (tu)

Yo Batdog!

Whilst being a big fan of ED and Lordship Lane, I am a very proud resident of SE15, and I agree with James that Peckham Rye Park plays a fantastic role in confounding people's expectations of Peckham.

ED Kiwi, you normally seem quite sensible, but I have to say that anyone who seriously wants to rename PRP is a shallow tosser!

I wish they'd re build a band stand in peckham park (the end opposite Friern Road)! When I was a kid, we'd go down there on Sunday afternoons in the summer, because the pubs didn't open all day Sunday then, so my dad and all his mates would take the wives and kiddies to the park. There would be big band music, or jazz, and it was great! Then the band stand just got left to rot!

That said, I haven't been down there for some time, and I did hear rumours they were going to build a new one... Any news there???

Also used to love the rather dangerous Adventure Playground!!!!! :))

kingtubby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They are building something in the old carpark

> area, I thought it looked a bit like changing

> rooms (for the football teams etc)..

I think this is going to be a cafe - there are planning notices about this dotted around the park entrances.

A cafe is fantastic news as a nice cup of tea is always welcome after a walk through a lovely park - the cafe in Dulwich park is fantastic and a really positive addition to its facilities. Jacks would be an excellent choice to run it and I am sure they would do well. I do think though that they have sited this cafe in a fairly miserable place - It's not in the park and the outlook onto the rye itself is fairly bland. I hope they build an attractive and interesting building rather than a dull box so as to improve this little corner.