Laptops got virus ??

bigmacca1

Hello, Could anyone recommend someone to have a look at my laptop,or give me some advice to sort the problem, its coming up on the screen that windows has a virus? Have always run it with Norton Security +Anti-virus since i have had it about 4yrs. Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NS130E. Any help or advice for a non techie would be much appreciated . Thanks.

bigmacca1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello, Could anyone recommend someone to have a

> look at my laptop,or give me some advice to sort

> the problem, its coming up on the screen that

> windows has a virus? Have always run it with

> Norton Security +Anti-virus since i have had it

> about 4yrs. Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NS130E. Any help

> or advice for a non techie would be much

> appreciated . Thanks.

If that is not a Norton message do not click on any buttons on that notice - seek professional help. Especially any button that says 'Fix it' or similar.

There are nasties going around, some will encrypt your hard disk and then try ransom you for the unencryption key. Sometimes these come up as 'antivirus messages', sometimes as 'your PC is overheating', 'your PC is running slowly', etc, etc. If you are unsure what is causing this then get some help, else you may never see anything on your hard disk again.

Hi bigmacca1.

Viruses tend to Hide in your PC and do not announce themselves..

Sounds more like a Pop-Up Ad. From a site you may of visited.

As Loz says do not click on anything suggesting Click here to fix.

Do not download anything.

Most likely it will disappear.

Switch off your PC / Switch back on and perform a Antivirus Scan.

DulwichFox

Good advice so far. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date.

I would also advise doing an anti malware scan...malware is the stuff our computers can pick up without realising, while internet shopping etc, and will bombard you with the kind of messages you're seeing. Very often no more than an annoyance, but can be more sinister. I can't post a link cos EDF doesn't let me but do a google for malwarebytes, it's a free download. Once installed make sure you update to the latest version (it will be obvious how to do this) and let it do a full scan - could take a while. Delete everything it finds.

Good luck!

Helen :)

Hi Dulwichfox,

Have performed full system scan via Norton twice today and on my page still getting the message coming up,And if

i try to open say Yahoo mail it opens then the screen goes blank then comes back on then off and a message come up

to say explorer has tried twice to open this page but has timed out on a loop?? But if i close my pages down and log

on via my wifes page it works fine?? This Bug is really Bugging me?? Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Bigmacca - is it just Yahoo mail? Seems like you can access the forum OK. Anyway, it sounds like you do have something on your PC which is interfering with access to some pages. It's probably either the hosts file or the service for internet access, but either way I would not use your PC until you've had it looked at.

And DEFINITELY do not enter any more sensitive website passwords (especially banking) until you know the PC is clean.

Try this! When the message pops up, Press ctrl+shift+ Esc, this will launch the task manager, have a look under the programs tab and look for any programs that are running, multiple yahoo tasks will point towards an add on, close (end task) one by one.

Next open IE and and click on the gear icon, click on internet options and see what addresses are loaded for the home page,

whilst in IE check for add ons in the same drop down box.

If you have another browser installed navigate to these sites and run a scan.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/

Isn't it a bit dangerous to end all processes via task manager? I once tried that and closed Explorer (Windows, not Internet) after which the PC didn't know how to run Windows any more.....

Probably a daft question but wouldn't want to inadvertantly add to bigmacca1's problems!

Reporting the exact appearnce and wording of any apparent error or warning message, and precisely when it appears, helps enormously. Even googling on it can sometimes bring up some useful indicators. The wording itself might be enough to probably identify it as one of those hoax warnings meant to lure you somewhere.

If it's parasitically associated with a browser which is reloading previously used tabs on restart, you could also try shutting down the browser - does it appear if you restart without opening your browser? - then restarting it and quickly killing off each tab as soon as it shows signs of loading. That might in itself be enough to get rid of it. Or simply try using a different browser. Or use a command window to open your current browser (?IE) in a 'new' state, or without add-ons: the mantras will be out there somewhere for anyone interested to find.

Helbel65 Read the post more closely, I did not say end all processes at all, Processes are under a different tab entirely!

There is a big difference between tasks and processes. DOH!

A lot of these nasties are also stored in the Java cache, go to control panel and type in the search box "Java control panel" under the general tab click on settings tab on the temp internet files, when the next box appears click on delete temp files

What OS are you running ?

When does the message appear ie straight after boot or after launching a program, moving mouse etc?

How does the message appear (pop up window, internet explorer etc)?

Try disconnecting your internet before boot up (wifi or ethernet) see if the pop up disappears.

When did the message start appearing (after download from web, use of USB drive etc) ?

Could you attach a screenshot of the message you are getting? That might help people identify what it is (not me, I wouldn't have a clue :)) )

ETA: When the message is on your screen, press the "Print Screen" key, then open a new file in Paint (or similar) and copy the screenshot onto it (Control V).

Then save it somewhere, then you can attach it to a post on here.

Apologies to bigmacca1 if I'm wrong, but I think we're dealing with a person here who isn't used to running rather scary malware cleaners, zapping programs and processes and reinstalling stuff. I think getting someone to have a look at it may be the safest option for him/her.

But at least we all seem to agree that there is something amiss.

took me back for a second to the days of closing explorer

then re-running it :) just because I could.

I just don't play anymore with my laptop.

HelBel65 Wrote:

> Isn't it a bit dangerous to end all processes via

> task manager? I once tried that and closed

> Explorer (Windows, not Internet) after which the

> PC didn't know how to run Windows any more.....

>

> Probably a daft question but wouldn't want to

> inadvertantly add to bigmacca1's problems!

Haha, yes - many a pleasurable hour wasted putting my pc back together after some dangerous tinkering...those were the days...friends & family just couldn't understand how a girl could be so fascinated!

JohnL Wrote:

> took me back for a second to the days of closing

> explorer

> then re-running it :) just because I could.

>

> I just don't play anymore with my laptop.

>

> HelBel65 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Isn't it a bit dangerous to end all processes

> via

> > task manager? I once tried that and closed

> > Explorer (Windows, not Internet) after which

> the

> > PC didn't know how to run Windows any more.....

> >

> > Probably a daft question but wouldn't want to

> > inadvertantly add to bigmacca1's problems!

Thanks every one for the advice, Have done a Malware scan and it appears to have got rid of some nastys, So its

up and running but still very slow. Dont know if its worth spending good money on? So hope santa comes up with

something?? Thanks once again for the advice. Regards Bigmacca1

Have a look in the bottom right corner where the clock is - along there you will see many of the programmes running in the background. Many of these are set by default to start with Windows, even if you don't want or need them to and they can slow things down considerably... another annoyance....try right clicking on them and select Quit or Exit - see if that helps.

Windows XP Vista and 7 and 8 windows key+ R brings up the run command box, type in MSCONFIG this will launch the system configuration box, click on the start up tab uncheck all the programs you do not want on start up.

This will result in faster boot times and less of a drain on resources as the programs are not ticking away in the background.

Right-Clicking.