What's around Dunstan's Road?

JCato

Hi,

I've been looking for a flat after living in NOrth London. I saw a great one in Dunstan's Road, but it feels like the middle of nowhere. There doesn't seem to be many transport links or shops nearby. It's also a long >30 minutes to the nearest station. It seems to be a popular area and I'm wondering why if it's so remote feeling?

It's a nice area. Very pleasant, safe etc. Depends what you are looking for and what you are used to. Most of east dulwich is pleasant, safe but in no way edgy or massively exciting. Hence the whole area is popular with families.

We had the same reservations when we first moved to Dunstans, having previously lived right on Lordship Lane, but it's a short walk to all the bus routes on Lordship Lane (Dulwich Library) - so few minutes to East Dulwich station or to Denmark Hill, Oxford Circus etc. A 5min walk gives you a bus to Peckham Rye station which actually has more choice of destinations. It feels like a pretty flexible place to be. Personally I only potter around Lordship Lane at the weekend and it's a 20min walk which I quite enjoy.

Also worth mentioning that it's really friendly around here. We chat to all our neighbors and those people you just happen to end up seeing each day and therefore say hello to. I've never experienced that in London before and I do value it.

Thank you for all your responses! I'm not bothered about a postcode, just what we can afford. Priced out of North London and a lot of South London. The flat in Dunstans Road is a 2 bed and it's affordable (it's near the bottom bit, towards Peckham Rye) but we're a young couple and it does seem a bit dead and far away from everything. Probably why the place is so cheap.

If it's near the Rye end, there's a couple of pubs nearby, as well as a co-op and an Italian restaurant. Honor Oak Park station is walkable. It is a bit remote though... if you want something a bit more convenient/lively, the Bellenden Rd area would probably be better, and maybe a similar price(?)

Possibly your flat is being sold because a new housing project is scheduled, at that end of Dunstan's Rd (behind the hardware store, some ex-industrial buildings have been demolished in readiness). So for a little while it could get noisy there - don't know what the architecture will be like.

You will have access to several beautiful green spaces nearby. Apart from Peckham Park there is One Tree Hill, Brenchley Gardens, Camberwell Old Cemetery, short walks to Horniman Museum with its gardens, Sydenham Hill with its lovely woods and Dulwich Park.

For many of us, this makes it an exceptional corner of London.

It is cheaper because it is not in the heart of East Dulwich. You pay an enormous premium to be close to Lordship Lane and that is worth it for some people. Only a very small part of SE22 is actually all that close to ED station, which really borders Camberwell. But Peckham Rye, Honor Oak and Forest Hill stations are arguably more useful anyway, as they have a greater number of destinations. And the line from ED to London Bridge always seems to be disrupted at the weekend!

Si Manga the Italian is lovely and you have 363 to Horniman and Forest Hill and onto Crystal Palace with lots of independent shops and cafes, 63 to Peckham and beyond up to Blackfiars and Kings Cross. Easy for overground at HOP and as said Peckham Rye station. You can walk to Bellenden road and also the Gowlett pub (with there amazing pizza's apparently I havent had one) the 2 little pubs there have nice gardens for the summer and the Clock House has a lovely quite bit outside (although I think expensive) and yes the surgery is great. My friend lived by the co-op and had no trouble getting around as the buses are frequent. There are some nice places to explore so long as your happy with a bus ride. Hope it works out for you.

I live near there. Ok, it takes a bit longer to walk home from the pubs on Lordship Lane, but am only there on weekends and it's hardly a hardship to walk a mile. Plus up till midnight you can use the P13 although it isn't very frequent.

As others have said, you've got the 63/363 to take you Peckham Rye station which is a way more useful station than East Dulwich, and is also then a short walk to the Bellenden Rd area if you would rather go there than Lordship Lane. It's right near Peckham Rye park which is lovely, and you've got a useful parade of shops nearby.

I would have rather lived nearer Lordship Lane, but for a ten minute extra walk from the area I've have liked to be living in I have got an extra bedroom, bigger garden and offroad parking. For me the trade was worth it.

I also came down to ED post N1 and thought I would really miss it, thought it was far out etc (I am v near dunstans) Admittedly I do have kids now, so slightly different life stage but I think the location is great - the bus link to Peckham rye v easy, where lots of train options, v easy cycle commute to city as well if you want. Nearby shops on Forest Hill Road also pretty useful (French Cafe particularly nice) And Peckham is also good if you are more hipster set and l.lane near enough if you want good pubs etc. I've also really enjoyed having a lot more green space around. My sister-inlaw and husband also just done same switch from N1 (to HOP) and really enjoying it too. I wouldn't do it if it is just about affordability, no point, but in terms of area within SE22 I think it's great.

If you want to live somewhere that constantly feels like full on London then Dunstans road might not be for you.

If you want to live a ten minute walk from a road with some shops to potter around in, cafes, restaurants, some pubs to get drunk in at the weekend, near some green space and on some great night bus routes then it might just be. I was in my late twenties when I first moved to this area and haven't had too much trouble finding fun when I've wanted to. Plus I get to live in a quiet flat in a 'nice' area....

Another Dunstans roader here but at the lordship lane end. It really takes no time at all to get to the main drag on foot. We have a baby now but we lived here for 2 years as just a couple and really enjoyed all the pubs and restaurants. Most of us are all very friendly on dunstans. My neighbours are great. I moved here from north London and have never looked back.