Haberdashers' East Dulwich - 751 families supporting

Another co-ed so close to Charter would not provide any benefit to the side of East Dulwich we are in (close to Peckham Rye), so our 'choice' is Harris' single sex. Is there any chance of even a discussion of Harris girls and boys becoming a lower and upper Harris' co-ed school? I'd even be happy with the Haberdashers' model where the classes are taught single sex but the non-class environment is co-ed.

What are other's thoughts on this?

There seems to be no joined up strategic thinking behind secondary school provision in Southwark. All the secondary schools are academies and are run independently from each other (and Southwark) and are essentially competing rather than cooperating. Add the dominance of Harris in the mix and we get a muddled mess.

Where is the strategy and planning for provision? Does the education of our children have to depend on piecemeal action by a lone councillor?

Great news James. I'm sure there will be lots of demand.

An East Dulwich school for ED people would be great, rather than what we have at the minute which is a raft of schools that border Peckham, Herne Hill etc, and really ED is an oasis in the middle with no state secondary schools.

In this respect the hospital site would be perfect. Good luck.

My two children will reach secondary school age after the dates outlined on the OP but would like to register my support for a new secondary school to serve East Dulwich.

My strong preference would be for Co-Ed and non-Faith.

LA run would be nice, but that doesn't seem like an option at the moment.

Question: does the plot need to be already for sale, or would/could the council consider a CPO?

I think the proposed Harris primary will use nodal points for its catchment rather than purely distance from its site. Presumably the same system could operate here, in areas identified as being under provisioned?

I guess the complicating factor is that, unlike the areas that very obviously are falling between primary catchments, secondary is more nuanced and about choice? Most of us at least have access to a secondary school at present - there would be a need to identify where the shortfall in secondary places would emerge. The nodal points could always be movable I suppose.

Sorry, thinking aloud.

Another vote for co-ed, and non-Harris. But I know no new LA schools, only academies and free schools in Southwark. Like many I'd like my kids (yrs 3 and 5) to go to a good state co-ed secondary school with a catchment and high expectations ? couldn't Charter be convinced to expand onto the hospital site?

James, I'm not sure why you are ruling out Charter being involved so early in the game. There has been a significant increase in the number of Harris run schools in the area to the extent that people are saying 'no more'. So why not Charter?

One option (which could run together with a search for a separate school) is to see if the Charter site can be made larger so increasing the intake. Charter backs onto lovely pristine fields of JAGS which does not seem to be used very much. Could Charter come to an agreement with them to build on some of it? Doesn't JAGS have some obligations to support the local community to ensure it's charitable status?

I don't think many people wouldn't choose Charter if they could. It ticks a lot of boxes (and has done for a good many years). It's just it has limited capacity and a catchment few of us can afford. It's not options we want, it's quality.

Having starting the looking at secondary schools process, Harris schools do not offer something either equal or equivalent to Charter (and I say this as someone who liked the look of another even more!).

But that's not meant in any way to damn the excellent idea of a new secondary on the Dulwich Hospital site. Just a vote against more of what we've already got. More Harris academies will not add to a diversity of schools in the area.

James, could give us an idea who these 'different bodies' are?

Also a successful academy taking on another school is a very established system. Haberdashers, Prendagast, Dulwich Hamlet are all local examples.

ETA Schools have to be established before they become outstanding in its own right, they are not outstanding from the getgo. If it is sponsored by an already outstanding school, it might give a new school a head start.

I'd really like to see something that isn't just part of an ever extending academy chain, Harris, or the others. The worry for me would be that these chains are in a prime position to make bids and hoover up the resources. I'd much rather see the Charter expand in some way. I wonder what other "providers" there are.