Haberdashers' East Dulwich - 751 families supporting

I'm definitely in support of a new school in the area. I think the hospital site is actually well placed considering a) Charter is already massively oversubscribed and b) the number of little children visibly growing in East Dulwich means demand in the coming years will be greater than ever. Co-ed, non-faith, non-Harris ideally.

• 2 weeks later...

Article today about GCSE year groups where the number of pupils on the school roll suddenly fall .

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/21/gcse-pupils-disappearing-from-school-rolls#start-of-comments that

"It is now possible to use the Department for Education's official school census data, completed in January each year, to track the size of individual year groups in 2,785 state schools across England over the years 2010-13.

The January census data is particularly crucial for schools in relation to pupils who turn 16 during the academic year, as the number recorded as on the roll at this time is the number whose results are counted against the school in league tables."

Two of England's largest academy chains, the Harris Federation and Oasis Community Learning, have several schools each on the list of those whose 2013 GCSE year group shrank the most over the period 2010-2013, and especially during 2012-13.

At Harris academy South Norwood, in south London, pupil numbers in the year group that took GCSEs last summer dropped by 22% between the time they were 12- to 13-year-olds and last January, with the year group's roll falling from 197 in January 2012 to 169 a year later, in the lead-up to GCSEs.

Overall, six Harris academies feature in the list of the 50 schools with the largest drop in pupil numbers for the 2013 GCSE year group between 2010 and 2013, with all shrinking in size by at least 10% "

It would be interesting to see data showing numbers falling in other year groups as this might indicate that decreasing rolls are simply a feature of the mobility of London pupils .

But ITATM we're not talking about another Harris School so not sure why the post here - despite being interesting.

hi mamafeelgood,

Very nearly half way for the level of support needed. So far very limited campaign. Hope to scale it up in the next few weeks, ask parents to form a steering committee and then select a provider to work with.

Thanks, InTexas for the interesting link. Depressing isn't it how organisations will manipulate to their advantage. Confirms my cynical view that if anything seems a bit too good to be true then it generally is not true :(

I think you are right to post it here as although this thread is not specifically about Harris per se, Harris is a major player in secondary provision locally and all parents reading this thread would be interested.

James, it's good news that the proposed new secondary will not be a Harris. All who posted against another Harris will be pleased!

James I posted the link because I think it expands the debate about what is a good school ( and the impact and use of league tables ) and because it discusses a major Southwark school sponsor .

There have been views expressed on this thread about possible sponsors - some have expressed a dislike of the Harris "ethos" that pervades their schools . Others have expressed a preference for Harris on the grounds that they have got better exam results than those obtained by the pupils previously passing through the school and have "turned the school around " .

I don't think we can discuss a new school without also discussing who is being considered as a sponsor .

Is it really the case that Harris have been ruled out as sponsors of this proposed new school as bornagain's post states ?

Have you considered asking the heads of the local primary schools for their views or assistance in bringing your campaign to people's attention? I appreciate that they cannot be seen necessarily to endorse a particular political party but they have a genuine interest in seeing their pupils happily off to a local school.

Perhaps your campaign could distribute leaflets outside of school at pick up/drop off times, ask to put leaflet in school reception/notice boards/book bags. See if primary schools willing to put something in their newsletters/emails or texts to parents.

Every Y4 parent I know is anxious about secondary school places, I am very surprised that you have only a moderate degree of interest. I'm sure that can be increased with a push.

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite a fascinating thread.

There's a shortage of secondary school places, recognised by everyone.

Everyone is in support of a new school being set up (locational concerns aside).

James, if you added all the support you have received, with that of the people who say "yes, but not Harris" then would you have enough support?

Because if the answer is YES, and if it's also true that you have a "number of providers" in mind, then surely all you have to do is publicly promise that Harris won't be on the list of those to be engaged as provider, and then some progress is made. You have the support you need to move on to the next step, as you put it, and parents get a new school (I'm clearly simplifying the process to help make the point).

James you are clearly eager to progress a new secondary, and this to me seems a simple way of making the next step to achieving that aim.

The fact that you won't do this so far makes everyone feel at best like their views are being completely ignored, and at worst suspicious that you're really actually campaigning for a Harris.

Hi DenmotherAmith,

Not true. Those parents offering to be part of a steering committee I will be emailing over the weekend to ask them to meet and discuss who we'd like to approach about being our provider.

Hi TE44,

The article is about schools viewed as failing and being taking over.

Our new free school application would be viewed on it merits of who we wish to partner with.

James this article is about parents having a say who the "preferred bidder may be. It will be interesting to see

how this is decided. Will all interested parents get copies of each bidders proposals. Or have you any suggestions

to who the partner/s might be. Will the application be viewed and decided by Southwark council.

Hi TE44,

A number of parents have asked to form a steering committee. I would expect them to recommend a provider. Free school applications are decided by the Education Finance Agency an agent of the Government Dept for Education. But I would hope to persuade Southwark Council.

Southwark Councils current position is that they plan secondary school places on a borough wide basis. That Dulwich families are already being offered places in Walworth, Catford and New Cross and that they would expect growth in numbers to be provided in such places and the new Aylesbury school when it opens. This policy clearly has little resonance with Dulwich families. A number tell me that they will continue the flight of families who have the choice to move out of London for decent secondary education.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/increasing-the-number-of-academies-and-free-schools-to-create-a-better-and-more-diverse-school-system

james, although free schools are state funded, "they are academies by law and so are not under the control

of their local authhority". This goverment has shown they will run education from whitehall, regardless of

parents wanting local goverment involved.

Hi TE44,

Which government are you referring to?

The last Labour government who came up with academies being centrally funded from Whitehall or the current one who added the word 'free' to the academies being central funded from Whitehall?

Hi ITATM,

No the funder is ultimately the taxpayer. The provider is the body that organises the school happening but also the Educational Funding Agency who find a site and manage the construction.

I don't know how the steering group will decide - they have yet to meet. If you have any suggestions I'll happily relay them when we meet along with other messages from supporters.