Local shops in the Saturday Guardian

klove

I really do think he meant rough [around the edges].

It was a bit, a few more empty units, a few more windows covered in whitewash like the old mirror shop, the tyre shop and so on.

It has been a bit more spruced up since.

I'm consistently amazed at how quick people are to take offence, you'd think people enjoy it or something.

Frankly I would rather move to a 'rough round the edges' area and watch it gentrify than move into an already gentrified overpriced area.

As an example until two years ago I had lived my entire life in Notting Hill and North Kensington. In the late 70's and through the 80's It was considered a very sketchy area (I'm not talking about Holland park, that was always 'posh" But around Posrtobello Road, All Saints Road) and many people really weren't happy to come and visit me cos of all the drug dealers and muggings. By the mid 90's the area had begun its transformation and those people who were anti the area were now desperate to move there.

The area I lived in is now unrecognisable and also incredibly bland. I don't care if people say the area was rough in the 80's so what.. I don't take it as an assumption that I am tarred with the same brush as the drug dealers crack heads or muggers just because I lived there then.

I feel people are being incredibly precious and as I stated before who cares about others perceptions all that matters is that you like where you live...that is unless of course you are the kind of person who buys in an area cos its perceived as fashionable or upmarket, not because you actually LIKE it.

Its like people who buy Designer handbags for the name only not because they actually like or suit them.

I'd say the exact opposite. I've lived here for almost 15 years and find the description of ED as 'rough' 8 years ago laughable. It was less chichi than now - no pop up shops for example - but it was a lovely place to live with decent shops and a neighbourhood feel. It makes me wonder what sort of people would have considered it rough. It was already unrecognisable from the Easy Dulwich I first moved to.

It is highly likely that this article was conceived by a local journo, or someone with mates here, who is keen to big up the area. It probably had its origins in more of a "oh look I live in a 'posh' place with an organic butchers" than a full blown serious assessment of the economic development of the area.

And if the butcher wants to talk 'rough spots', then their original spot in Vauxhall was about 1000x grimmer than ED but since they moved has also undergone coffee shop gentrification alongside long-term surviving businesses.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If he was born and bread here he probably said it

> was dough in the old days (he said, desperately

> trying to get a tedious circular thread lounged).

Probably baked using the Chorleywood method: "he said it was never rough ...just a bit dull but pleasant."

The middle class sourdough eaters clearly prefer a rougher texture.

Lived here all my life and it was never rough , well apart from

What was Yilmaz and Casablanca but other than that , it was never a no go area .

William Rose came to Dulwich because they knew the people in the area would flock to their shop, and spend their cash on free range and 'organic ' meat .

Maybe he should have used a better description to describe Dulwich as what he meant ( up and coming maybe ?) is not correctly portrayed with the word 'Rough'.

I moved to ED from the Walworth Road 20 years ago, so it seemed most definitely un-rough to me, so it's all relative! It's certainly become more posh since then. My 86 year old mother visits frequently and always insists on saying "ooh, it's very up and coming round here" but the truth is that it upped and came quite some time ago.