I just Wii'd myself with Excitement

LuvPeckham

Well, I actually didn't come last in one of those races so Woo Hoo! Ant, sorry about the random messages - ruffers and I were scrapping over the controller. Didn't enjoy the battle so much (as the only person on my team).

Luv Peckham - let us know if you want to try again sometime.

I still had problems connecting to you all, for some reason.. I need to do some research as I go through two seperate fire walls to get out... (I'm not paronoid or nuffing.,.. but those who did race were talking about me behind my back)

Will advise wehn I am ready to try again

LP, what worked for us was doing a Wii system update and configuring the Wii (via our router) to use a static IP at least 10 iterations away from anything else on the network (so 192.168.0.150 when the closest other device is 192.168.0.101) and then rebooting the router. Didn't need to port forward or put it into a DMZ for example, and it worked fine through our router firewall.

You're not using a Belkin router are you, I know that a number of them aren't compatible with Nintendo WFC?

Sean, it's a bit clunky for sure, but the Wii wasn't exactly sold on the basis of its stunning interactive networking capability!

I changed the Static IP addrss to 196.158.2.150 (80 above any other device) and still no joy

The Wii is constantly updateded with the latest releases (not that they see to make any difference to the console) and I am running a Trust router/modem with a SMC Barricade N wireless router (Damn fast wireless at 300mbps)

still no joy as there are two router firewalls to go through at any one time (that is on top of the two firewalls running on all of the PC's as well - who says I am paroniod ... they can't touch me in here...)

So I have now opened up the DMZ on the SMC and stuck the Wii's head out from behind it, whilst isolating it from the network... which of course means that I now have to work out how to make PimpStreamer work with an isolated terminal (pimpstreamer allows you to stream music, videos and other content to the wii so you can see it / hear it via the TV)

I will try again on Tuesday, although I may ned to open up the DMZ on the trust if this doesn't work and then look at port forwarding...

Funny thing is, it only fails when I try and enter a room, or let other people into my room.. if I do a European or Worldwide race, I have no problems connecting... Ho Hum

Sean - I think the problem is that some routers are a little defensive of the ports the Wii wants to go through when setign up handshakes and if you have a firewall set to 'so paranoid even the fridge talks about it' then it may well need some tweeks... but for other games 'Mario Striker soccer' for example the access to the network is fine... seems to be Mario Kart thus far with the biggest problem

so Tuesday at 8 for a re-try (and I will do some research between now and then to see what else I need as a back up)

not really, but as a result of installing them they do provide an extremely high level of security by default. One was bought before i needed WiFi, and rather then replace it with a combined WiFi Router and modem, I simply attached a wifi router to the set up which had a high level of security and amazing network conectivity behind the firewall.. a nice bit of kit, but the whole set up can be quite tricky to administer at times when you want to do something out of the norm like play games.. :-S

Got to say, that with the Wii outside of the network, Iplayer ran like a dream on it last night... but was such a fast refresh rate that the Hairy Bakers guide from BBC2 made me feel a little queezy (seemed to jump more frames then displayed)

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> thanks for the pm

>

> driving licence number is 3308-6854-3285 name is

> Daddy J

Ratty

Will add you tonight to my list of friends and if you can do the same for everyone on the list (see earlier in the thread) so that we can see each other and who ever is on at 8pm can join in teh race (assuming that I have managed to get past the problem of last week that is)