Best travel route to Goodge Street at rush hour?

poppet27

Hi Poppet,

If it was me, I would take the 176 bus from Lordship Lane to Tottenham Court Road (alighting at the last stop); then it's a 10 min walk up Tottenham Court Road to Goodge Street station. I would leave the house around 7:30 to ensure you reach your destination on time

I used to make the same journey to attend a monthly class in the shadow of the BT Tower, a year or so back

Regards

DaSilva

As you seem nearer to Forest Hill Road, I would get 63 or 363 bus to Elephant. Get off and go one stop south on Northern line and then go back north to Goodge street. You would need to get the bus at 07:40 to be in plenty time -takes about an hour. Try TFL website for exact tines.

Da Silva - and you didn't get bus sick? I was worried that the bus would just get stuck in traffic.

Louise C - Oddly, Google Maps is now telling me to go on the 185/176 to Waterloo then hop on the Northern line. Is there a reason you preferred Victoria?

Thanks so much!

Ha Ha! Yes, actually the worst bit is the bit from Aldwych to Tottenham Court Road - the traffic does tend to get snarled up around Trafalgar square.

Alighting at Waterloo and getting on the Northern Line to travel onto Goodge Street would definitely save time - but it will also cost more, because you'll be travelling in Zone 1 during the rush hour. Hey ho - 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'

Regards

DaSilva

Agree with Edcam - note to lousiec Victoria line doesn't go to goodge street but it does go to warren street which is next one up, so maybe depends where in goodge street poppet27 needs.

if you don't mind lots of changes i think fastest might be bus to peckham, overground to elephant, bakerloo to waterloo then northern line!

I've been doing this commute (from home near ED Police Station bus stop to the office - right opposite Goodge St station) every working day for the last five years. Basically I have learnt:-

QUICKEST: bus to ED station> ED to LBG> Jubilee line to Waterloo> Northern line to Goodge St (with a bit of luck and a following wind I can do this in just under an hour door to door)

LEAST STRESS: 176 all the way - (it can take an hour, it can take all day - I don't go this way now as the timing is too unpredictable)

MY PREFERRED ROUTE MOST DAYS: bus to DMK> Thameslink to Farringdon> tube to Euston Square and then walk

- the only problem is the shocking unreliability of the Thameslink, so I use an app to check the thameslink is running OK and if not I switch to the ED>LBG>Jubilee>Northern route. If all OK on Thameslink the 08:19 will get you to Farringdon about 20 to 9 and then with the tube and short walk from Euston Sq you'll end up at Goodge St just before 9am. The 08:19 is a very busy train, more space at the back carriages and lots of folk get off at The Elephant.

This takes me an hour, door to door.

ALTERNATIVELY: Bus to DMK > DKM to VIC> Victoria line to Warren Street - but Victoria underground often closed for overcrowding (when it is, go to the District Line entrance on the other side of Terminus Place where you'll be able to get in) and the Victoria line is packed when you do manage to get on it. I now avoid this route as since the building works at Victoria started it's all got a bit too unpredictable, timing wise. If all goes to plan, takes an hour - same as Thameslink route.

In all cases, if you're the sort of person who doesn't mind going a bit earlier, say 30 mins, it will pay dividends.

ASolanilla Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Been doing that route for a while. Quickest I've

> found so far is Peckham rye to blackfriars on the

> 8.01 and then jump on the tube, just under an hour

> door to door and get to Goodge street by 8.35

Assume you go Blackfriars to Embankment and change to Northern line? Escalator refub means there's no interchange from Jan to September. Maps already amended by TFL http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Uncleglen - in my view, the tfl journey planner is not always the most intuitive, and doesn't match up to peoples' own experiences, eg reliability of lines like Thameslink.

I will be attempting the journey on 2nd so thanks for all your help.

poppet27 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I will be attempting the journey on 2nd so thanks

> for all your help.

Let us know how you get on.

As @spanglysteve said 63/363 to Peckham Rye - given where you're coming from. You can still experiment with Victoria / Thameslink options from P Rye.

Live in a v similar location to you poppet and commute to warren st on daily basis. Spangly Steve is spot on. Once work at Victoria is finished you won't have the queuing outside the station that happens a fair bit at rush hour. Whatever you do don't rely on the bus - will send you slowly round the bend!

Bus 185 to Oval, then Northern Line (Charing Cross Branch) to Goode Street is the quickest. I've experimented with routes to Tottenham Court Road where I work (the stop before Goodge Street) and this is by far the quickest and easiest. I catch the bus around 07:15 each day from NX Road, and alight at Tottenham Court Road ... 40 minutes max.