Forest Hill Tavern - Late Night Noise (Lounged)

woody

Booboo2008 Wrote:hi booboo would be very grateful for the email address. Did you hear the noise on friday 5th sept, two separate lots of screaming and arguments, the last a woman being frogmarched down the road complaining that she was being strangled? Was too scared to intervene I'm afraid...

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also live on Therapia road and called the

> council a few weeks ago and got put through to

> about 5 people.....was then asked to send an email

> which I did but haven't heard anything. I was

> away over the weekend but am not so shocked to

> hear of the shooting. Something nasty was bound to

> happen sooner or later. Going to try council

> again and MP.

I'm curious to know if there has there been any confirmation of the shooting by authorities (or anyone other than the original poster) ? It must have generated a whole load of noise, sirens etc - and it seems a bit odd that no-one living near heard anything. Must be the hour I guess?

Well the person who posted after me also confirmed it, and the mrs was woken up by it but didn't look out of the window as late night screaming is pretty standard for a friday night now.

There is a small comment on it under the write up on the stabbing at the weekend

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/09/14/promising-footballer-19-is-london-s-26th-stabbing-death-this-year-115875-20736863/

but this is all it gets, shootings are not as big news as they used to be!

the council confirmed this when mrs spoke to them, they said the pub would not be closed 'simply' because there was a shooting?

Siduhe Wrote:

> I'm curious to know if there has there been any

> confirmation of the shooting by authorities (or

> anyone other than the original poster) ? It must

> have generated a whole load of noise, sirens etc -

> and it seems a bit odd that no-one living near

> heard anything. Must be the hour I guess?

This incident DEFINITELY took place, unfortunately a friend of mine was in there having a late night drink when the shooting happened, she ended up helping the poor guy who had been shot in the leg, she has been traumatised by what happened but is worried about the guy who was injured. Does anyone know how he is?

Thanks both - I wasn't doubting the report so much as shocked it hasn't been picked up by the news. Is it really so commonplace these days as not to even rate a mention on the local news or radio? Re the Council: I believe the police have a statutory power to apply for the terms of a licence to be reviewed, so they might be another avenue to explore.

What does that sentence mean...?

Anyway, it may well be that moving things from the FHT would just be shoving it on someone else's doorstep, I have no problem with that when it's shots being discharged near my house. It may also be that that particular night running in that particular location on that date in the month is bringing clashing people together who wouldn't have run into each other otherwise so the problem is being solved - I don't think either of us can be 100% sure which it is.

What I would be thinking though it that whichever doorstep it does happen on, one which is quite so residential isn't the right one. I used to go clubbing a lot, still do from time to time, and clubs of this nature should ideally be away from residential areas, I'm not sure why anyone's arguing that point.

A late night bar for grown ups who leave quietly playing dance music is fine. One for lairy 'youths' shouting, fighting and now shooting ain't.

What an earth does all that mean.............you mean ?

"it may well be that moving things from the FHT would just be shoving it on someone else's doorstep, I have no problem with that when it's shots being discharged near my house "

As for "one that is not quite so residential" all of London is residential this ain't the village of Allendale, Northumberland.

But anyway you are absolutely right about a venue that is creating real issues with local residents is absolutely a problem, wherever it is situated. No doubt people are already in touch with councils, police , MP's and the issues and concerns will hopefully be resolved. Noise problems are the worst without a doubt.

There's an instructive real-life Lambeth case in the South London Press at http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/News.cfm?id=16648. Do click through to the follow-up article.

The Southwark licensing register page is http://licensing.southwarksites.com, which leads to the terms of the FHT's licence at http://licensing.southwarksites.com/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=11388. It's good to read that they will have had functioning CCTV, inside and out, that they'll have made available to the police.

Where in the leg was the victim injured? It may seem a safer place to inflict an injury, but it can lead to death through loss of blood, as with Damilola Taylor. I hope everyone knows about artery pressure points, for use in an emergency where blood is being lost fast.

you don't get much more residential than Allendale......

Late night noise is a beast for anyone affected by it, not to mention people feeling unsafe in the proximity of their own homes. The FHT seems to have two very different faces, I'm unaware of the late night ulgy face (not living in the neighbouring streets) but have every sympathy for those living close by, on the weekend during the day the place is fine (especially the garden when weather permits) and the staff are perfectly nice.

However, it sounds like its time for the landords to decide which entertainmant avenue they wish to pursue - it would be a shame to lose a decent place during the day/early evening for the sake of pursuing the club nights.

I've got tinnitus and am rather mutton myself, as anyone who has tried to converse with me a Forum drinks will confirm. My side of the conversation consisting of .."Pardon?". A miss-spent youth of loud concerts (The Who in their pomp being particularly damaging) and rock clubs (Hungry Years in Brighton being a favourite), when I enjoyed such things.

I would wish to ensure that the youth of today avoid such later irritation and that the neighbours of the FHT get a good nights sleep. My tinnitus gets worse when I am deprived of asleep, so I know the importance of sleep to persons of deafness.

Please speak up when you respond, I seem to be having a white noise and bleeping day.

kristymac1 Wrote:

> you don't get much more residential than

> Allendale......

> Late night noise is a beast for anyone affected by

> it, not to mention people feeling unsafe in the

> proximity of their own homes. The FHT seems to

> have two very different faces, I'm unaware of the

> late night ulgy face (not living in the

> neighbouring streets) but have every sympathy for

> those living close by, on the weekend during the

> day the place is fine (especially the garden when

> weather permits) and the staff are perfectly nice.

>

> However, it sounds like its time for the landords

> to decide which entertainmant avenue they wish to

> pursue - it would be a shame to lose a decent

> place during the day/early evening for the sake of

> pursuing the club nights.

Agree completely thanks Kirstymac. I'm in Therapia and have now written to three councillors and David Swaby. If anyone else has had problems please drop a line to him.

You clearly live no where near it as it's not in Forest Hill... It actually has a SE22 postcode.... I have no problem being called precious if I'm forced to complain about being kept awake over the weekend in a very residential area by a nightclub which seems to have sprung up overnight, posing as a sports / gastropub-ish place by day. It attracts the kind of clientele which included someone being shot last Friday night.....

ruth b wrote..... Why not move out the area? It's a pub; a venue in

> Forest Hill what do you expect? Stop being so

> bloody precious.

Thanks for the concern ruthb. we were all fine with it being a pub, we use it ourselves. we are not happy with it being a loud club until 3am and even less happy with people being shot outside.....no sorry I won't be moving, I've lived happily in ED for twenty years, and strangely don't think it's being 'bloody precious' to not want people with guns right on the doorstep.....surely Ruthb you should move to where you can see some more action if that's your thing? Ed sounds rather tame for you. Bye.

Here is the reply from the council below, if any other people have been affected would be very grateful if you can let them know,

I write to you with reference to the above mentioned premises, and the

alleged incident involving firearms.

As the licensing officer for this premises I shall be investigating the

connection between the Forest Hill Tavern and the incident. I shall

write to you again at a later date, to inform you of any developments.

Yours faithfully

David Swaby

Principal Licensing Officer

rote:

Oh please! How very petty. Calm down.

it's a pub we're people go to enjoy themselves. Often through this type of social event noise is created. Sometimes there is violence because alcohol is consumed, alcohol is sold in pubs... and so on and so forth.

Move out of the area and stop reading the Daily Mail.

ruthb Wrote:

> Oh please! How very petty. Calm down.

> it's a pub we're people go to enjoy themselves.

> Often through this type of social event noise is

> created. Sometimes there is violence because

> alcohol is consumed, alcohol is sold in pubs...

> and so on and so forth.

> Move out of the area and stop reading the Daily

> Mail.

So, after a few drinks, being shot in SE22 is normal is it? So far, happily it's not but you've obviously not been here that long or else you'd know that. Hope you're just passing through...