Forest Hill Tavern - Late Night Noise (Lounged)

woody

jodevious Wrote:

> Libel: defamation by written or printed words,

> pictures, or in any form other than by spoken

> words or gestures.

>

> I think this accurately describes any unfounded

> finger pointing? :'(

Ok, I'll bite. The problem with c/p stuff from the internet is it's generally a bit more complicated that wikipedia or similar suggests:

For example, defamation doesn't mean anything false - the statement has to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally, expose him to ridicule or contempt or cause him to be "shunned or avoided". Whether or not a statement has that effect is measured against the standard of the reasonable man and not a specific class of people who represent the views of the claimant (to the extent that these views are different from the majority of society). Not sure how what has been said above would cause this.

Back on topic, there's a bit of overreaction on all sides here IMHO. I was really pleased when the FHT got its makeover as it's one of my locals. The managers have done some great stuff but it's clearly not that busy every night and not surprising they'd try some different stuff to get the punters in. However, I don't think anyone expected it to turn into what's effectively a nightclub running every weekend and there are definitely increasing noise issues for local residents as a result.

Jo, is there anything you can suggest (as the promoter) to try and manage the noise issue both inside and outside the venue?

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a promoter you have a vested interest in these

> events.

As a promoter, I have a vested interest in my own events, but of course reading the negative comments regarding the FHT and noise problems is an issue that I am glad to be aware of.

With regards to libel, wrong term perhaps, but if you knew me, you'd understand that as a lone parent, already working full time and investing a lot of scarce money in setting up my own company, I do get defensive when it seems that judgement has been made before I've even proved my good intentions.

As I mentioned, this will be my 3rd event at The FHT, and with all my dealings with them they are very conscious of noise nuisance and even have a "limiter" installed, which cuts off the music if it goes over the decibel reader. The door security also encourage people to disperse from outside the venue very quickly at the end of the night.

I do understand that there are a couple of very successful promotions running at The FHT which cater for a younger crowd, but in their defense I must say that if there wasn't a local demand, then it wouldn't be so successful.

With regards to the forthcoming SMITTEN party, all I can do is assure you that as a qualified sound technician and professional DJ, I do not allow the sound system to be "cranked up" excessively, and as we target an older crowd, our guests to date have been respectful to their surroundings, and not caused nuisance.

I will personally make sure that people leave the venue quietly.

Jo

>

> Jo, is there anything you can suggest (as the

> promoter) to try and manage the noise issue both

> inside and outside the venue?

I hope the above answers your question?

It's a tough situation as some things that could alleviate the problems cannot be changed, such as not having to smoke outside the premises and having minicabs available outside at the end of the night?

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

All you need is lots of flashing lights.

Flashing lights could potentially cause problems for epileptics.

Not to mention the fact that the venue might contain nuts.

Let's call the whole thing off.

>>I am not ingorant! BUT, I have thought of one potential noise problem with the Deaf thing.

Loads of people shouting "Pardon, eh, what?" at 3am. <<

As your (somewhat tasteless) message referred to "the Deaf" with a capital "D" can I just point out none of them would be shouting "Pardon" or anything else in a loud Disco. They'd all be communicating quite happily with BSL and enjoying the music through their feet...: it's the people with "normal" hearing who'll be shouting "Pardon?" & "Eh?" etc etc in middle age having ruined their hearing by exposing it to overloud music in their "youth" (by "youth" I imagine I mean anything up to 40 and beyond...). Pete Townshend did not die before he got old, but he did to get to wear a hearing aid, as did poor John Entwhistle and a host of other 60's rock heroes...

:))

Yeah Simon M, thats interesting as i have friends who are hard of hearing and as you say, they are the ones who arnt shouting in the club, and hear the music through the resonance much better than most who hear it rhrough their ears.

anyway, Back on topic, surely if you live next to a successful pub you expect the noise (and go there to benefit from the place) to occur late at night, thats why houses away from (but in the walking vicinity of) these places cost the ??? and the ones close to them ones dont???

*runs away in fear of EDF responses*

SimonM Wrote:

> >>I am not ingorant! BUT, I have thought of one

> potential noise problem with the Deaf thing.

>

> Loads of people shouting "Pardon, eh, what?" at

> 3am.

> As your (somewhat tasteless) message referred to

> "the Deaf" with a capital "D" can I just point out

> none of them would be shouting "Pardon" or

> anything else in a loud Disco. They'd all be

> communicating quite happily with BSL and enjoying

> the music through their feet...: it's the people

> with "normal" hearing who'll be shouting "Pardon?"

> & "Eh?" etc etc in middle age having ruined their

> hearing by exposing it to overloud music in their

> "youth" (by "youth" I imagine I mean anything up

> to 40 and beyond...). Pete Townshend did not die

> before he got old, but he did to get to wear a

> hearing aid, as did poor John Entwhistle and a

> host of other 60's rock heroes...

>

> :))

As ironic as it may sound :o) I'm actually saving for : http://www.dontlosethemusic.com/home/areyouatrisk/earplugs/where_to_buy/

there would be nothing worse than for me to damage my ears! As a professional, my ears are highly trained, which means that I actually work better with LOWER audio levels - hence me really not jesting when I say that I do NOT allow the sound system at my events to be played louder than necessary for amount of people present etc :o)

My partner is hard of hearing in one ear and does shout "pardon" at me. He can still hear the voice coming from that so-called tavern..... As for house prices, there are loads of threads on the current housing market in ED. Nothing is selling. More so in our road prob because of the noise from that damn "tavern". I preferred it when it was an honest old man's pub because at least it didn't seem to cause any problems or anti-social behaviour.

• 3 weeks later...

I am suprised that nobody on here has commented on the shooting outside the FHT last night yet?? Trident have been knocking door to door on Forest Hill Road asking for information.

Noise which is as previously put 'violent in nature' has just got worse, when will the council do something? police cannot shut it down as it was outside the premises so business as usual tonight I suspect. little comfort for residents!

Details are..as the pub was closing and it was throwing out time a young black youth was shot in the leg outside the pub whilst the gunman/men fled, I think up Therapia road. The victim fell to the floor where he remained for 35 minutes waiting for paramedics and police. He was being tended to by other revellers though. The FHT has got out of hand and there is open drug use there in the male toilets, this includes both revellers and bouncers alike.

jodevious Wrote:

>

> As a promoter, I have a vested interest in my own

> events, but of course reading the negative

> comments regarding the FHT and noise problems is

> an issue that I am glad to be aware of.

>

> With regards to libel, wrong term perhaps, but if

> you knew me, you'd understand that as a lone

> parent, already working full time and investing a

> lot of scarce money in setting up my own company,

> I do get defensive when it seems that judgement

> has been made before I've even proved my good

> intentions.

>

> As I mentioned, this will be my 3rd event at The

> FHT, and with all my dealings with them they are

> very conscious of noise nuisance and even have a

> "limiter" installed, which cuts off the music if

> it goes over the decibel reader. The door

> security also encourage people to disperse from

> outside the venue very quickly at the end of the

> night.

>

> I do understand that there are a couple of very

> successful promotions running at The FHT which

> cater for a younger crowd, but in their defense I

> must say that if there wasn't a local demand, then

> it wouldn't be so successful.

>

> With regards to the forthcoming SMITTEN party, all

> I can do is assure you that as a qualified sound

> technician and professional DJ, I do not allow the

> sound system to be "cranked up" excessively, and

> as we target an older crowd, our guests to date

> have been respectful to their surroundings, and

> not caused nuisance.

>

> I will personally make sure that people leave the

> venue quietly.

>

> Jo

Does leaving the venue quietly also include the popping of caps in asses Jo ?

snorky Wrote:

> Does leaving the venue quietly also include the popping of caps in asses Jo ?

Um, it wasn't a SMITTEN event last night but something called Elite on Friday and Propper House [sic] on Sat according to the posters I saw. Don't think these have anything to do with Jo.

Guess it's an emotive subject for those who live nearby the venue but some of you come across as really small-minded. Jo (no connection to him, the venue, events) has been coming on here to represent his side and it's as if a little posse has ridden up with torches lit.

very very loud on Friday night... very abusive language too, it's bad enough being woken up but when you're woken up by really abusive language and someone having an argument, it's no joy. I would get over the drunken singing and loud cheering etc, but there seems to be a rough crowd that hang out in that place - Gives that stretch of road a bad reputation.

Wombat Wrote:

> Guess it's an emotive subject for those who live

> nearby the venue but some of you come across as

> really small-minded. Jo (no connection to him, the

> venue, events) has been coming on here to

> represent his side and it's as if a little posse

> has ridden up with torches lit.

As someone wrote on Beerintheevening this pub needs to decide if its a gastropub, sportsbar or nightclub.

Walked in on Saturday about 9ish and there were actually mumblings from the 'locals' as they made way for the club set. Very strange atmosphere. if there was a gun incident Friday maybe that didn't help.

Used to loud noise at all hours living at the top of Peckham Rye ... but there is something else here at present.

I also live on Therapia road and called the council a few weeks ago and got put through to about 5 people.....was then asked to send an email which I did but haven't heard anything. I was away over the weekend but am not so shocked to hear of the shooting. Something nasty was bound to happen sooner or later. Going to try council again and MP.