Chris Pretty on the closure of the Prettys Green Grocers on Northcross Road.

jamescpr90 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Many years ago we had two excellent greengrocers

> in Lordship Lane.

xxxxxx

Yes, and Sainsbury's opening put them out of business.

As it did a couple of local butchers - including one in North Cross Road, if memory serves.

This is such bad news

I have lived and worked in East Dulwich since 1991.

I think the shop is fantastic and ED is losing a great service.

It's shocking and disgusting how you have been treated Chris.

All the best to you and your family.

To ensure proper scrutiny on planning application 13/AP/3205 that appears to be driving this problem East Dulwch ward councillors Rosie Shimell and myself have requested the planning decision be decided by a committee of councillors IF council planning officers are minded to grant planning permission.

Will keep people posted how this goes.

"To ensure proper scrutiny on planning application 13/AP/3205 that appears to be driving this problem East Dulwch ward councillors Rosie Shimell and myself have requested the planning decision be decided by a committee of councillors IF council planning officers are minded to grant planning permission."

The problem is not connected to the planning application in any meaningful way. If I was the applicant I'd be justifiably annoyed that local politicians appear to be taking into account irrelevant considerations when making planning decisions.

'Installation of new shopfront (to include removal of front access to flat above); erection of single storey, rear extension (L-shaped) with rear refuse storage area and proposed glass/aluminum side roof section to ground floor shop; new rear access with steps to flat above; and new decked patio with fold out doors to flat at first floor level.'

What is there to scrutinise? Even if there was an arguement against this proposal, it could be amended I'm sure. That's not going to help keep the current tenants in situ. What's Plan B, Councillors?

• 2 weeks later...

EPB Wrote:

> Just a thought - when Runcent Joinery move out of

> their current premises, might it be possible to

> persuade the developers to include a shop in their

> plans .........?

Very much doubt it. It going to be a private house, as far as I know.

What about the site (which has been closed since before I moved to ED 7 yrs ago ) between William Rose and the Irish Shop. I always wonder why that site isn't used?

I love Pretty's and the cafe next door. Its crazy that landlords don't recognise the value of a successful, established retail business, especially when retail is generally in decline!

Being obsessed with money and increasing rent will just lead to a further decline in the high street.

Wiffwaff Wrote:

> What about the site (which has been closed since

> before I moved to ED 7 yrs ago ) between William

> Rose and the Irish Shop. I always wonder why that

> site isn't used?

>

> I love Pretty's and the cafe next door. Its crazy

> that landlords don't recognise the value of a

> successful, established retail business,

> especially when retail is generally in decline!

>

> Being obsessed with money and increasing rent will

> just lead to a further decline in the high street.

If the owner chooses not to do anything with the premises so be it. People should mind their own business.