Former ED police station fetches in excess of 5 million!

Louisa

Agree re. all the psuedo military vehicles. My road looks like helmand province. We used to laugh at the Americans all driving ludicrous oversized tanks.

tallulah71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What SJ and Ron70 said.

>

> Lots of young families moving here, breeding, and

> needing education and that. I can't think of a

> better use of space.

>

> What we really don't need are those idiots who

> drive 4x4 cars so no-one can ever pass them.

> Please buy smaller cars and get over yourselves -

> We know you're rich, but you really do block most

> of East Dulwich. And the world. ;)

>

> And east dulwich is fairly flat. You're not having

> an "adventure" in your 4x4. You are just causing

> traffic.

Hi bob,

Sadly they did reject it.

They said the Localism Act 2011 didnt allow it.

But we've found so far three other English local councils that interpreted the law and DID list police station as local community assets!

So I've asked for a review and complained as it's a really important principle ot save other such police bases across Southwark. Doesn't help East Dulwich but still it needs to be done.

Hi SJ,

At one point it looked like the Police station was going to be sold for flats and a supermarket instead of sold to host a new school.

We are desperately short of school places and the Police station represented one of the few pieces of lcoal land a school could be built on.

Hi Louisa,

The land owner would have been told of the application, they will have seen other police station around England being so listed, so it may have tipped the balance with all the other pressure we applied to get it sold for a school. Equally it may have made no difference!

Hi SJ,

It didn't help make this happen - and it was on a knife edge which way it went. With Community Listing I suspect even just the process helped. But rejecting it wrongly coudl easilly have resulted in a higher non school bid winning. Their decision also places at risk other Police stations until they agree they got it wrong. The community listing reduces the incentive to try selling Police stations.

James Barber Wrote:

> They said the Localism Act 2011 didnt allow it.

> But we've found so far three other English local

> councils that interpreted the law and DID list

> police station as local community assets!

Were these other Police Stations open active stations (thus community assets), or empty shells?

LondonMix Wrote:

> Second site for what? Is Harris opening 2

> secondary schools in the area? Did they get

> enough support from parents for this? Or are you

> looking for a site for another free school?

See EastDulwichSE22 post of 31 January which I think is lifted from James' website.

Hi LondonMix,

Harris are not opening any new secondary schools in the area.

We're talking about the primary school places crisis. They have support for tw oprimary schools towards the 3-4 we need locally.

Hi noelewilson,

Head of Terms is part of the contract of sale of the site. It should be a detail once the principles of sales have been agreed which they have been.