Greatest Guitarist

adonirum

Anyone got any thoughts on Leslie West (of Mountain). Mentioned this on another thread, but he produces such a sweet fantastic tone from his guitar, especially on tracks such as Theme from an Imaginary Western and One Last Cold Kiss ( what great lyrics that track contains for a rock song!), and he's still going strong despite having a leg amputated a couple of years back and the list of other great guitarists that appear on his recordings and in concert with him goes on to this day.

Tommy Bolin...Astonishing

Jake E Lee

Steve Hillage...back in the day a hippie now a dance producer

Walter Becker

Joe Walsh

Brian Robertson & Scott Gorham & Eric Bell

Joe Perry and Brad Whitford

BB King

Segovia

Rory Gallagher

Uli Jon Roth

Seen all the above but the most astonishing playing I have ever seen was Gary Moore on the Still Got the Blues tour, Midnight Blues was amazing.

Joe Bonnamassa covering it well..on Rory's Stratocaster..

Rush aren't everyone's cup of tea (not even always mine thanks to their occassionally dire lyrics), but Alex Lifeson and bassist Geedy Lee are fantastic players.

Tom Morello was a standout in the 90s.

Fredrick Thordendal and Martin Hagstrom of Meshuggah are also great, but their music isn't for everyone!

Quite hard to think of any new stars in our current era as rock seems to be in retreat at the moment.

Think randombloke's a Thin Lizzy fan, Robertson, Gorham, Bell and Moore!!! Not that I disagree with it, especially comments about the Still Got the Blues Tour. Should have titled this thread "great guitarists" rather than "greatest", what with so many different styles being referred to. What about Robin Trower, unkindly perhaps referred to as "the white Jimi Hendrix" in the early 70's, with the style of playing he adopted around that time. What a contrast to his time in Procol Harum !!

Hmm some interesting suggestions. For me its all the Js

Julian Bream, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Hall, John McLaughlin, John Renbourn - I could go on .... and on ....

By the way Randy California was never in the Eagles, maybe you meant Randy Meisner (from Poco before)

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like Meshuggah- the drums on Bleed are

> phenomenal.

Yes, Tomas Haake is ridiculoulsy good. Guitarists too, but not sure the greatest.

Now what about the ultimate Axe Man: Michael Schenker.

For me ? Rory Gallagher . Just for his bluesy genius ! He could play anything ! Bit Stevie Ray Vaughan for pure technical skill and Jonny Greenwood , who is the most emotional guitarist I've ever seen ! Interestingly he describes himself as a " clumsy " guitarist !!!!! I'm mean , come on !