North Cross Road Market (where's it gone?)

Ron70

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What Quids said.

> >

> > That Unlurked is a proper little ray of

> sunshine.

> > Twat.

>

>

> Has your bubble been burst, that the over priced

> food/tat sellers are only doing it to make a

> killing rather than for the good of ED kind? Mug.

Apart from buying a few second hand books and maybe a hotdog or two I rarely go there myself. It doesn't offer anything I'd want. In fact, I can't think of the last time I went down there on a Saturday.

Anyway, surely the idea of selling anything is to make a profit is it not? That's business.

I was very grateful to find the Bike Nation guys down there on Saturday despite the foul weather. They carried out some much needed repairs to 2 bikes I'd been putting off for weeks.

I don't think bikes are liable to blow away though. Maybe different if running a food or clothing stall.

unlurked Wrote:

Only about profit.

xxxxxx

Oh well, you obviously know everything about everything and can speak for every stall holder at the market.

Amazing gift you have :))

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> I wonder which stall holder is there not to make a

> profit.

xxxxxxx

But this thread is not about why stall holders are not usually there (obviously to make a profit) but specifically about why they were not there on Saturday ......

Or have I missed the point?

Hands up, all those people who tried to shop in Northcross Road Market on each Saturday, post-Christmas, when the wind was blowing the stalls over and the rain was coming down in sheets and most people didn't have any money??

Not just to buy your "one off" favourite pie, but to buy clothes, antiques, records, pottery?

To linger and have a coffee, freshly made by the lady with the van, although it will take a few minutes, so if you don't mind getting completely soaked...

Or did you just have a sulk because you had planned your dinner party around the cheese you were going to buy..just pop out, brave the rain... and goddammit, those selfish stallholders who had planned their stock, spent days baking, organised their clothes, brought in extra antique furniture stock, packed up their cars...hey, they decided it wasn't worth it, selfish people, because its only about profit and who the hell wants to go out in the rain to make a few dollars?

Seriously, guys...are we that selfish and lacking in a bit of common sense?

I know a few people for whom the Northcross Rd market is an important part of their livelihood, and god knows, since the beginning of the year, financially, trade in NXR market has been sh*t.

To paraphrase Ron70..."Just been down North Cross Road, where did the customers go? :-( "

See you Saturday.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Yes but sue normally about the sanest person on

> here thinks it's not about profit.

xxxxxx

Thanks for considering me sane - most people don't :))

I never said that the market was not about profit - obviously it is. Stallholders are hardly there to provide a social service.

I said the wind was so bad on Saturday that it would have been unsafe to put up stalls.

I'm not quite sure what Jacqui5254 means ..... is everybody living in ED under some obligation to buy from the stalls in North Cross Road, even if the weather is terrible and even if they are skint after Christmas? Because it is an important part of some stallholders' livelihoods?

We had a http://www.thegooseisout.com gig at The Old Nun's Head on Friday night. The music was fantastic, as was the audience, but we had fewer people down than we would normally have expected. The weather was absolutely foul.

We had put a lot of effort into the night, as did the headlining duo, one of whom had travelled up from Plymouth (took him seven hours due to a motorway accident) and the other had travelled down from Newcastle.

But we didn't blame people at all for not coming out. Why should they? Not sure I would have done if I hadn't had to :))

You take the rough with the smooth, and so it is with market stallholders, surely?

Have lived in East Dulwich since 1980... 34 Years.

So I survived 30 years without a market.

The market has not changed my lifestyle or added anything to my well being.

It is just a few stalls. It's not a big issue if it is not there for one day.

Just take a big breath. Lay down in a dark room. It will back next week.

DulwichFox.

Sue, my point was not that we are under any obligation to shop but that we shouldn't give the stallholders a kicking because they haven't turned out in full force over the last few weeks when the weather has been so bad, that's all.

Maybe I should have given a bit of a "rant warning".

Or maybe I should have just addressed my post to unlurked...

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Have lived in East Dulwich since 1980... 34

> Years.

>

> So I survived 30 years without a market.

It's been there for a lot longer than 4 years - try 12 or 13 years.

BJL Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Have lived in East Dulwich since 1980... 34

> > Years.

> >

> > So I survived 30 years without a market.

>

> It's been there for a lot longer than 4 years -

> try 12 or 13 years.

Not in its current form..

It was once.. get permit .. turn up on the day .. pay the market inspector.

It was mostly Bric -a -brac more like a boot sale.. Not many new goods.. no food.

and it it's current form. still survive without using it.

DulwichFox

The food stalls (Andrea with her lovely salads etc, the fudge lady, and the bakery) have all been at the market for as long as I've been in the area, which is around 10 years now. I remember walking around it when we first came house hunting in the area, and while it's grown since, I don't think it's changed a huge amount.

jacks09 - The American lady who took over the stall has perhaps been avoiding the windy weather ?

Dogfather has 2x tents (one for cooking/serving, one for sitting/eating) and Coops was always in fear of them taking off - even on what seemed like mild days. So maybe (hopefully) just the weather.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> > It's been there for a lot longer than 4 years -

> > try 12 or 13 years.

>

> Not in its current form..

>

> It was once.. get permit .. turn up on the day ..

> pay the market inspector.

So using that logic, how many years would you say Camden Market has been going - 3? 5? 11?

• 4 weeks later...
The East Dulwich Cafe owner has been threatening and extremely abusive to some of the traders. He's been making life extremely difficult for them. His son owns two of the stalls and I think it must be an attempt to drive out competition!

demolik1 Wrote:

> The East Dulwich Cafe owner has been threatening

> and extremely abusive to some of the traders.

> He's been making life extremely difficult for

> them. His son owns two of the stalls and I think

> it must be an attempt to drive out competition!

xxxxxxx

Interesting first post from somebody who just registered today ....

How can a cafe owner "make life extremely difficult" for some market traders?

• 2 months later...
Whilst we're on the subject - I have a new culinary love - the nduja salami from the young couple who have the olives and salami stall on NthX market. Had it a couple of weeks ago and ate most of it raw (delicious) but on their advice heated up small portions of the second one to dip into with bread etc, and/or use as pasta sauce - DELICIOUS.