CRAP MANAGERS and how to survive them

ME Lawrence

CRAP MANAGERS and how to survive them is my new book about dealing with horrible managers at work. It is a light-hearted satirical look at all the types of managers and how we survive them. Everybody I know has had the unpleasant experience of a manager that has made their working life hell, which is why I wrote the book. Have a good laugh while you read about Hamish the health and safety manager or Mags the nit-picking micro-manager. You'll feel better knowing that other people are going through the same thing at work and all the managers are based on ones with whom I have had the misfortune to work. CRAP MANGERS is available at local bookshops (Rye Books and others as well as Amazon in both kindle and print versions).

The Peter Principle is alive and well.

Book looks great, will look out for it in local bookshop. Spent years with only excellent managers then I seemed to encounter an unlucky streak, experiencing a succession of insufferable tossers that I wouldn't* even want to have a drink with dahn the pub after work.

*(my measure of unbearableness, usually people have some redeeming features out of the office)

LadyDeliah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Crap managers are why I am unemployable and had to

> start my own company.

>

> I would have ended up doing time for GBH if I'd

> stayed in some of my previous jobs!

This suggests you had problems with managers (plural)... perhaps the issue was you, not the numerous managers?

Funny this. I read a small book some years ago called 'How to manage people in 30 minutes' or similar. My manager at the time was doing the exact opposite of the guidance in that book (the guidance was very sensible) and so I realised why work was so annoying. The ironic thing was that my manager was obviously unhappy implementing some of the crap coming from above so I carried on doing things my way and got away with it for 5 years. Anyway, the powers that be then created a new layer of management with it's attendant admin so we were being micro-managed. I resigned. When you get to a point in your professional life where you are not allowed to be creative and have to do absolutely everything someone else's way it gets very stressful.

SCSB79 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LadyDeliah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Crap managers are why I am unemployable and had

> to

> > start my own company.

> >

> > I would have ended up doing time for GBH if I'd

> > stayed in some of my previous jobs!

>

> This suggests you had problems with managers

> (plural)... perhaps the issue was you, not the

> numerous managers?

I said I'm unemployable for a reason. I can't kiss arse or smile at people I want to punch. I hate being micro-managed by ego-maniacs, unless they are particularly talented ego-maniacs and then I'd suffer their crap to learn from them.

I've spent most of my life working for myself though and I seem to make a better boss than employee, judging by the loyalty I always get from the people who work for me.

Not all the managers are based on ones I have worked with. Although I have had a lot of managers due to working in the charity sector where people are on short term contracts. I envy you being your own boss and not having to put up with crappy managers. You're obviously a good manager which is why people are loyal to you. I do have a good manager at the end of my book - the kind we'd all like to work for.

Thanks for your interest

Margot

"I've spent most of my life working for myself though and I seem to make a better boss than employee, judging by the loyalty I always get from the people who work for me."

That's what they cleverly allow you to think...

(Just kidding!)

Like the above I am self employed but when I was employed 26 years ago now I found the worst managers were the women, like something out of "Working Girl", I am ashamed to admit. Maybe it is different now!

Re: female bosses, I've actually got on better with them than some of the pervy, patronising, ego-centric male bosses I've had.

Probably because they were all small to medium sized firms run by individuals who were also unemployable! I learned what I needed to and hopped around relatively frequently (from 6 -18 months depending on how much I could stand) to widen my knowledge and jump my salary up more quickly.

Margot - sorry didn't see your q earlier, ruffers got it in one!

LadyD - I really admire anyone who sets up their own business, really hardworking people IME. Never met one yet who had a day off sick!

There was a programme on the radio recently about a chimney sweep in Cambridge running his own business. He said he couldn't/wouldn't want to do "a proper job" but I was thinking "you already are, you truly are!!". He was excellent.

Similarly to you (and to my surprise I might add), I also got on really well with two of the only female bosses I've had. They were really supportive, ambitious and quite brilliant. Although I have had two fantastic male bosses as well so it balances out ;)

Really crap managers alienate everyone. Mine came out with something today in front of me and a colleague and we just looked at each other in disbelief- hopefully he saw and understood the look- probably didn't though which is why he is so crap in the first place.