Is this it?

SeanMacGabhann

MelG - presumably that's because you are a practicing Christian and not just because that's teh one thing you can't face?

Even as a child I've never quite bought the idea - and the Catholic Church's particular choices of the afterlife is partly what made me realise they couldn't be right

The question I can never come close to answering is - "why would there be anything else"?

If it's because of some unknowable deity thing then, even if it's true, I'm not interested. Is all of this purely some sort of exam??? Thanks for the option...

Yep - death after life sounds about right.

It seems unlikely to me that someone would believe in some sort of afterlife without being religious... but you never know. Needless to say, the whole thing is totally ridiculous to most of us here. The idea that your soul/consciousness/personality could exist outside of your brain seems absurd to say the least.

Although interestingly... did anyone read about the experiment taking place in various hospitals, in an attempt to validate "out of body" experiences? The idea is to put objects or messages around the room, which can only been seen from above. Obviously a complete waste of money and resources, but presumably it's something of a low budget experiement, so I'm not getting too worked up about it.

SMG - not so much practicing any more (bad habbits etc.), but still have firm beliefs in Christianity and its teachings.

"The question I can never come close to answering is - "why would there be anything else"?" - It depends on how you think the human race was created.

Another factor is the existence of God or a greater being. I reckon life on earth is a test (exam if you like) and simply put - depending on how you live your life on earth determines where you end up after death.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Didn't they make a documentary about this?

> Starring Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland I

> think... Flatliners? ;-)

Although "Flatliners" was obviously a superb piece of film-making, I am actually referring to this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/is-it-possible-to-have-an-outofbodyexperience-935423.html

Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way that you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Whyshould I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval,somewhere very near, just round the corner.

All is well.

Keep The Faith>:D<

Well as you brought up the Catholic Church SeanMac. If you look properly into the church?s doctrine and philosophy on the subject, that area where good Catholics do not tread. You are presented with a slightly different concept to that of life then death then afterlife.

The whole concept is that time does not exist outside of life. So heaven is a somehow eternal, yet not eternal as that implies a linear passage of time, and a timeless state of grace. It exists outside of and neither before, during nor after our lifetime but is somehow inextricably linked and dependent on our life in this world.

This then poses questions about preordination vs freedom of choice.

It is what is referred to as a mystery of faith. Monks meditate on them when they?re trying to dispel fantasies of Lindsay Lohan.

Like many other bits of religious philosophy that have been subject to the attentions of some very astute minds over the centuries it makes a fascinating line of enquiry. It could perhaps be more fruitfully addressed without having to abide by restrictive tenants of faith which can render arguments circular and pointless.

Edit: As some smart arse had to go and point out my spelling mistake.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Although interestingly... did anyone read about

> the experiment taking place in various hospitals,

> in an attempt to validate "out of body"

> experiences?

I had an out of body experience once but I was off my tits on Ketamine at the time. It's not something I would like to repeat on here or out of here. It wasn't very pleasant and I've kept away from that shit ever since.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and not a swearword in sight Brendan!

Fuck me you?re right. You see that there?s some Pavlovian conditioning if ever there was any. Something subconsciously must be programmed not to associate swearing with church for fear of meeting with the business end of Sister Mary-Joseph?s wooden ruler.