Is this it?

SeanMacGabhann

"yet not eternal as that implies a liner passage of time"

Talking of which, what's that classic black & white film about the characters on a passenger liner, each of which rather unsure as to why they're there, tells each other their life story, and it soon turns out they're all dead (and presumably in purgatory) and not until each resolves their issues are they allowed to walk through a door to their respective fates.

I watched it when very very young and I believed in god, and I had an issue with the plot about the recently married sailor (I guess sunk, it was during the war) had to come to terms with the fact that he couldn't go back to his wife to tell her he's ok, but don't worry you'll be reunited again in heaven, she'll wait for you.

I couldn't help but think that everyone would actually be telling her that she has to move on as he'd want her to live her life in full. No he doesn't, he's gutted from Ilford love and horrified at the thought of your getting some!!

Anyway, it was one of the first times I questioned the logic of the tenants(sic) of the faith I'd been (rather half-heartedly) brought up with, and it pretty soon all came crashing down the moment I started applying any analysis (BUT WHY MUMMY?) to it.

I think we live on through what we do, be it have kids, make good art, play great music, or generally just be nice to people so they say "suchandsuch was a top fella wasn't he" whilst chatting about you in the pub.

Other than that, I guess death is death.

Keef Wrote:

I think we live on through what we do, be it have kids, make good art, play great music, or generally just be nice to people so they say "suchandsuch was a top fella wasn't he" whilst chatting about you in the pub. Other than that, I guess death is death.

I think your being optimistic Keef.At best down the Pub it will probably be:

"Have you heard?"

"Heard what M8?"

"Billy Fry!-Dead!"

"Whaaat!! No!"

"Yeah! Brown Bread! Last night-sudden heart attack!"

"Cor-Blimey,who would have thought,eh? He was a good egg,was Billy."

"Just shows yer.."

PAUSE...

"Anywayz who is up for a game of pool?"

"I'll join you,

"Charlie,2 Pints please me old M8!"....

The End.

WHAT IF.... we go where we think we are going to go? like, self-directed?? so... you catholic boy over there, you are going to heaven or hell or purgatory (based on how many times you masturbated, etc) and you heathen over there, you are going into the great big void... and me... well, i've so far been happy to just "let the mystery be" but now i'm thinking that maybe mauritius would be a good afterlife.

well, so long as the people i love are there.

and therein lies the rub.

I recall falling into conversation once with a couple of people who told me that the only certainties in life are death and taxis.

I upbraided them with no little vigour and pointed out the confusion they'd made between taxis and hearses. I left them with fleas in their ears and damned and cursed them for jackanapes. But maybe I was hasty.

On reflection perhaps the pub we were in was playing The Sugababes louder than was necessary.

Maybe their diction wasn't all it might have been.

I may also have taken on board more strong continental-style lager than was wise on an empty stomach.

Whichever it might have been I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise without reservation to both Paul and Barry Chuckle.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> I recall falling into conversation once with a

> couple of people who told me that the only

> certainties in life are death and taxis.

>

> Leave It Right Out!

> THAT was always my lil joke!(6)

> Plagirism is rife. I simply MUST have been the

> first living person to have thought of that...B)

I'd like to think of it as great minds thinking alike TLS.

Definitely not fools seldom differing.

Nosiree Jack.