London Bridge - new platforms, same old problems

Is Station Master Barry still there?

No he's not, just found this

Good afternoon to those who remember me...just thought I would pop in and say hello and hope all is well with your stations

Sad to say I left Southern back in November but still in the industry (in a way!!)

Best wishes

Barry

------

The works would be much smoother if he was I'm sure!

charlesfare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to take the train from ED to london bridge

> for work for about a year and to be honest, a lot

> of people travelling that way do move like cattle

> and should be treated as such. I'm obviously

> exagerating but I think the whole thing with

> congestion would be easier if people moved with a

> bit more pep in their step.

My thought precisely this morning arriving at LB before 7. I don't know why it appears to get so congested while people are moving off the platform when most if not all people seem perfectly able to add a bit of pep to their stride.

Tonight, the platform 15 holding area was a joke. The 18:59 pulled in just after 19:00. They released us from the holding area onto the platform *before* anyone got off the train. Then they allowed us about 1 minute to get along the train. Most had to board the crowded carriages near the barriers, rather than being allowed another minute to get further along. I told the Southern person signalling the train to depart how dangerous it was. Crazy. Just what we need at the end of a tiring day.

Just to add to the catalogue of amusement, this morning's arrival into LBG (the 8:30 from EDW) was met by half the passengers waiting for the outbound standing in the sheep pen, another quarter standing along the platform waiting to board and another quarter making their way along the platform, salmon-like.

If the station management aren't willing to police the sheep pen, it'll render it basically useless and the problem will only worsen over time.

Joy!

I give the holding area about a month. It currently takes 2-3 members of staff down at platform 15, with one shouting at people to go into the holding area and the others controlling letting folks out the other end (usually at the wrong time, thus crowding the early part of the platform; which is far worse than folks just being spread out on the platform when the train arrives). Can't see them dedicating 3 staff to it long-term, nor anyone voluntarily using it.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't, yesterday pm, new low's arrived at 5.18pm and a bit, watched at leisure the 5.20pm departing, whilst engaging in casual chat with the platform staff. At 5.50pm gave up and took a taxi, thanks to network rail for charging me ?2.50 for the privilege. What a shower, but Londoners have gained a nice tower built by human rights abusers

What I have observed is that over the last few years is that LB has become so overcrowded. Trains never leave on time and if they do, they cut it really thinly! The announce the platform number the very last minute triggering a mad rush! Hate the fact you are rushing with great big bags of shopping, a child or two to look after and rushing to a sea of people desperate to board during peak hours.

I wonder every morning how Platform 15 can have passed basic health and safety/fire regs. In the morninig rush, it can take a good few minutes to clear the platform and if there was ever any kind of incident where you needed to evacuate the platform eg, if the train was on fire or somethhing or get out of the station quickly I wouldn't fancy my chances. I guess they assess the risk is worth taking?