School places offers day tomorrow

Thanks Caroline s, that's good to know. We are happy with the Harris place and think it's a great opportunity for our son to go to a very small school where we can have lots of input. I was just worrying that we had been done over by the system!

I'm lucky enough to have a place at Harris and also our second choice on the CAF. Someone asked me this evening which I'd choose if I had to choose right now, and the answer was Harris. Although I have the option to go for a very well regarded community school, like Mariamadeit above, I really love the idea of my son being one of just 60 kids, and having the opportunity to be part of something new. I like the idea of a purpose-built building, I'm not phased by the idea of a temporary site, I liked that the head was super-enthusiastic, seemed ambitious for the school and keen to work collaboratively with parents....

I'm lucky to have a choice I know (and I'll be releasing one of the places back into the system, for someone else to take up, asap), and if we decide on Harris this will be another set of parents committed to making the new school a success.

Hi all really interested to hear all your views. We got offered the new Harris free school and none of our 6 choices but southwark offered us clearly what was left over somewhere off the old kent road with bad posted ratings. So at this stage I think we will be going with Harris ED but hold out for Dul village infants (which we probably won't get!)

I only found out about the new Harris school late in the day so didn't get a chance to get to any of the meetings so is really interested to hear the perspectives of all you guys

My reservations are the same as yours probably, no track record, not yet established, the move of site also what's to say it definitely will be ready on time? Have they recruited the teachers yet?

They have recruited a head teacher and at the last meeting, earlier this month, were in process of recruiting class teaching staff. They are optimistic about moving to permanent site on time but can stay at Harris Girls as long as they need, apparently.

Yes the new Harris school doesn't have a track record, they don't even have a school yet, but Harris does, the new head said he was keen to get experienced teachers for the school and I think that this is a great opportunity for our children. My husband has just returned from work and we have had chance to discuss and we will be accepting the Harris place, I am really pleased and excited that my son will be part if this.

Hi Renata

We didn't get any of our 6 choices. Our first preference was Ivydale School as this is our nearest school and every child on our road has gone there over the 6 years we've lived in the area. I would be interested to know how many first preferences were rejected by Ivydale? Actually, it would be good to know how many preferences were turned away in total. I would imagine a lot if the open days were anything to go by and the other parents I've spoken with tonight. It does seem grossly unfair that a school which has had 2 years of bulge classes and is set to have more bulge classes next year (and a new campus) should be punishing children who are applying for places this year.

If there are enough numbers is there still a possibility of a bulge class this year or has that been completely ruled out? It seems like a lot of parents are confused and may end up accepting offers to schools for fear of losing out when they would much rather go with their first preferences.

Many thanks

Paddy

Renata

Paddy makes a good point regarding the lack of bulge this year at Ivydale, given the plan to expand the school in the long term. I did directly contact you to ask you to raise this with the relevant authorities. You fobbed me off with suggestions that I look at other schools (that I already told you I had looked at).

Did you raise this previously with the relevant authorities? If not, why not? And more importantly, can you please raise it now?

Thanks

It would be good to get a list going of the last distances offered at the schools. I'm in limbo as I'm in Lewisham and they didn't bother staying open late tonight. I still can't believe we didn't get into any of our choices, and got Turnham which is a miles away. Off to apply for a place at the Harris free school tomorrow, and anywhere else that might be an improvement.

What a nightmare.

Hi all,

Just wanted to post to say try not to worry if you didn't get one of your preferences. Last year we were one of 139 families in Southwark to not get offered one of our preferences. I found the whole process grim and had no hope being between 39-60th on wait lists for schools within walking distance of us. I pestered and pestered Southwark, calling every week for our positions, this only made me more and more anxious about it all. We late applied to another school, further away but an excellent school. 1 week before my daughter broke up for summer holidays we were offered a place at the school and she started with everyone else in September. I couldn't be happier with the decision to reject the school place offered originally and opt to homeschool until another place came up. We didn't need to do this but I would of given the circumstances. My daughter has flourished, she loves her school and I love that she loves it. I just wish I hadn't worried so much and stressed myself out. I know its difficult but hold out and wait and see what happens. The lists move a lot, especially in June/July I found.

Good luck to you all. xxx

theratprincess Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Renata

>

> Paddy makes a good point regarding the lack of

> bulge this year at Ivydale, given the plan to

> expand the school in the long term. I did directly

> contact you to ask you to raise this with the

> relevant authorities. You fobbed me off with

> suggestions that I look at other schools (that I

> already told you I had looked at).

>

> Did you raise this previously with the relevant

> authorities? If not, why not? And more

> importantly, can you please raise it now?

>

> Thanks

Have to say that although I really do empathise (I still remember the Primary application worry) there isn't space for another class at Ivydale as far as we were told and I CAN believe it. The present bulge classes have to be accommodated all the way up the school of course. There is a limit as to how many extra years they can bulge given the physical space there presently ... Each year they do bulge of course raises the number of siblings also likely to be applying. Catch 22 to some extent...

HP

Hi Theratprincess and Paddy. Paddy, I've responded to your message on the other forum. Theratprincess,Yes I have discussed Ivydale with council officer, I have also visited the school and spoken to the Head, Helen Ingham a few times. I've had a guided tour of the school buildings with other local councillors. In 2012 the school bulged to provide more school places to the Nunhead/ED area. There was initially no plan to bulge in 2013, this came about due to an exceptional number of siblings. Without the bulge, there would have been no places offered on distance last year. The school is due to expand to 4 form entry in 2016, but this involves using the site on Stuart Road. With the 2 current bulge classes there are already difficulties in serving all the children lunch and having assemblies etc. The playgrounds aren't big either.

I have no idea at the moment what the last place offered distance was for Ivydale, nor how many people put it first. Those offered places there would not necessarily have put it as their first choice, eg they may have put another school first that they are further from. Other schools that may have shorter waiting lists are Turnham (Lewisham, but close to Ivydale), Hollydale close to Nunhead Station and St Francesca Cabrini. I would suggest you contact Southwark admissions and they can let you know your waiting list positions for Ivydale and the other schools you applied for. To add, if you accept a place at another school, you still remain on the waiting list for higher ranked schools from your original CAF application.

Hi Miniko I've responded to your email. Hi bubblebob, thanks for calling me, for any Southwark school you apply for you need to go via Southwark admissions. They will also be able to tell you your place on the waiting list for the Southwark school on your CAF.

Hi Gina, I remember your situation from last year. I'm glad your daughter is happy in her primary.

Renata

Bubblebob - I really would think carefully about the offer you have had for Turnham before rejecting it. It is an excellent school with very dedicated and hardworking staff and a lovely atmosphere. Results are very good and a new Executive Headteacher, who is also the Head at Stillness Juniors, will be starting next term. Personally, I would have much preferred to have sent my child there than to a Harris school with no track record opening in temporary accommodation.

Hi Fly Elmwood is an excellent school Ofsted outstanding and part of a federation of schools. We visited the school and was totally impressed with the standard and also the general feeling if the school. Are you in West Dulwich? Good luck.

I think it's worth pointing out that in 2012 Ivydale's furthest catchment was 1062m and last year in 2013 it was 516m. We are within the 400m range and have not got a place and there are definitely a lot more families in the area than when we first moved. Where can I find out information on how many places were turned away at Ivydale? This seems like a vital piece of information for all those parents currently making decisions about accepting offers to schools they have deliberately not applied for.

On your other point I appreciate that space needs to be accommodated up the line for new classes but surely with a new campus on the horizon that is less of an issue.

I am concerned by the some of the suggestions on this forum that the best option is to either rent or buy near your schools of choice but to be honest that seems to be the only way. Of the 10 nearest schools to us we applied for the 6 in order of preference, clearly I was under the illusion of there being some sort of choice in this matter. The council clearly are operating on the policy of placing children where it suits them rather than responding to the obvious needs that are being expressed on this forum and elsewhere.

Paddy

Hi Gina

Many thanks for the note of encouragement and I'm delighted to hear your daughter is doing well in her new school. Not looking forward to the stress though. I have to say and I feel very let down by the whole system.

All the best

Paddy

Paddykelly I think you would be better to find out how many places were given to siblings and then what the furthest distance was, as ivydale have bulged, last year because of the high number of siblings, it may be the case that there was again a large number of siblings. I think I am right in saying that it doesn't matter whether you put it 1st or 6th, it's done on distance from the front door.

Hi All,

We live in a black hole in honor oak and didn't get any of our 6 choices when our son started reception 2 years ago - we were sent miles away. We ended up applying to Francesca Cabrini retrospectively, because it's just up the road from us, and got in on the waiting list (it hadn't originally occured to us to put it down). We're not Catholics, and I realise that faith schools arn't everyones bag. But all I can say is that he's thrived there, and absolutely loves school - the faith element seems to have completely washed over him to date! Our daughter will be starting reception there in September. There are several non Catholics in my sons year (although realise this dynamic might change with the new Harris school). The newly refurbished reception space is lovely too. Despite many assurances from friends that a waiting list place would come up for our son at our chosen school, none have so far ever materialised, except for a school which is a good half hour walk away which we chose to decline having received the offer from Cabrini. As it stands, we've chosen to send our daughter to Cabrini this September - here's hoping she's as happy as he is!