School places offers day tomorrow

We had exactly the same (I emailed them to reject the offer on the 17th of April, offer of a place that wasn't even on our list!) and got a letter from the school on the 30th about the induction process.

I think the council is in a muddle generally I have emailed them but still haven't heard back!

Same here. I declined a place at Goose Green weeks ago in favour of Harris but have received a letter and several phone calls from the school and Southwark asking my intentions. Shame they aren't more organised as I'm sure many people are anxiously waiting for offers that are better suited to them.

Hi all, we are in Purdah at the moment (pre-election period) this means that officers are not answering my inquiries, and won't do so until after the election now. I have asked the question re Harris Free School and the offer via the CAF system and what happens if you turn down the CAF school. I couldn't get an answer and I was told that the resident needs to put in a request themselves, so please email [email protected]

Sorry

Renata

Schools don't get instantaneous updates re the outcome of offers made. They will have had a list and be arranging induction, at some point they will get an updated list with the refusals removed and new allocations included.

I might be wrong, but I think the process at the council end is along the lines of updating their system with all the refusals and any late apications, then run the routines again to produce a second round of offers

Renata, the issue is not just the free school, the council keeps giving conflicting information and does not update lists as quickly as it should do.

I do realise it is purda and you cannot do much about it, just the council people need to get their story straight as to where the waiting lists are held and when they will get updated. Thanks.

Hi Peggoula, waiting lists are updated quickly, I don't know however what the situation is with Harris ED and other CAF school dual place offers. What I've found out via a parent (I couldn't get the answer myself!) is that certain priority groups eg Children who have ever been in care and multiple births, where one has a place, means the admission number for a school can go over that published. The result is eg if there is a second twin and a adopted child, they can push the number in the reception list to 62, 2 over the admission number. No place will be offered to anyone from the waiting list until the list is reduced to below 60. New applicants are integrated onto the list in admissions criteria order for example a sibling where an older child has joined the school goes above all those who applied on distance. If someone moves in an area and lives closer to it than you, they will go higher up the waiting list and you will be bumped down a slot. From what I have sen in previous years, waiting list positions can be a bit like roller coasters, you can be moving up and down from one day to the next. For example on day 1 you may be 6 on a list on day 2, 7 and on day 3 6 again, contrary to how it appears, an error wasn't made on day 2, some one joined the list above you and on day 3 someone gave up their place. Admissions will contact you if/when a place become available. I know that this seems very disheartening, but upward movement does occur on the list, but unfortunately there is no way to predict what will happen with the list for a particular school.

Renata

Thanks for th reply but this is not what I meant.

I have several friends on waiting lists for both Heber and Goodrich that have been told different things about how the system works. One friend was told that no one will move till after the election, and another one was actually given a place (so it obviously moved) and another one moved up on the list. I was told the list was kept at the council but actually Goodrich knows who is on the list and who was offered a place. So this is all very confusing especially for people waiting.

We're still waiting on a place for Ivydale but well down the list so not very optimistic. As like most people here who didn't get any of their "choices" I feel let down, especially as every child (of varying ages) on our road (about 10 in total) all go to Ivydale. It's more about being part of the local community as we see it and I understand that as more families have moved in to this particular neighbourhood there is obviously more pressure on places. It does seem however that this could have been predicated and it seems to reflect a bigger failing within the education policy. Both a national level, especially with the free schools and how few places are being taken up for those by (obviously) sceptical parents, as well as at the local level. The system from my point of view does not seem to work very well.

I'm curious how other parents will be voting in the local elections with this in mind? There does seem to be a lot of finger pointing amongst politicians but surely all the main political parties have now had a chance to make a difference and the education system still seems to be a mess.

Hi Peggoula,

the waiting lists are being updated regularly; it's Councillors who can't get information until after the election, parents can. The lists are kept at Southwark and they pass the info onto Community primaries. Academies/Free/VA Schools operate their own admissions policies and procedures, hence why it can be more difficult to get waiting list positions for those schools.

Renata

I actually have an email from someone in admissions saying not to bother asking about waiting list positions, as nothing will be updated till after the election. And I know this is actually not the case, I can PM you the details if you are interested.

The point I was making is that there is conflicting as well as inaccurate information.

Parkrunner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you log in to eAdmissions and decline the

> place there?

Yes. I then had a letter from the school which I put down to them not having been informed of my decision as it was quite soon after I declined. Last week I had a phone call from Goose Green on Monday and I told them, and then I received a call on Thursday from Southwark asking what my intentions were. When I declined via e admissions I did state that I had a place at Harris which I had accepted.

Yes me too, I declined online and wrote Harris in the box, I emailed (using the link in renata's post above) to explain and point out that I wasn't very impressed with the whole system. I got a three line response back saying thank you for your email, they will pass on info to the school... I just wonder how many school places are in this limbo of having been declined but not yet reoffered, there are lots of families waiting for a more acceptable offer and there is so much stress around the whole thing, I think the system could certainly be improved!

My son currently goes to Mary Magdalene and is in year 2 and my daughter has a place there this coming September, it's a great SMALL school, there is a lot of support and good passionate caring teachers. The reason why no one hears much about it is that it is hidden away off the radar but that doesn't mean it's not good.

It only has 30 places each year a lot of which are c of e faith places.

I wouldn't rule it out straightaway.

paddykelly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I understand that as more families have moved in to

> this particular neighbourhood there is obviously

> more pressure on places. It does seem however

> that this could have been predicated and it seems

> to reflect a bigger failing within the education

> policy. Both a national level, especially with

> the free schools and how few places are being

> taken up for those by (obviously) sceptical

> parents, as well as at the local level. The

> system from my point of view does not seem to work

> very well.

>

> I'm curious how other parents will be voting in

> the local elections with this in mind? There does

> seem to be a lot of finger pointing amongst

> politicians but surely all the main political

> parties have now had a chance to make a difference

> and the education system still seems to be a mess

Didn't someone already confirm that all the 60 Harris free school places have been taken and they are now operating a waiting list?

I am really sorry for the parents that didn't get any of their choices but with 80 percent of parents getting their FIRST coice and 96 percent getting one of their top 6 it's a bit harsh to suggest the system if failing and their is no choice. Via the expansion of Ivedale being led by the council, the new Harris free school primary in ED organised by James B and the council working with Dulwich Hamlet to open a new primary in Peckham I think all our local councillors are very proactive and doing a great job! Renta and James both deserve a lot of praise in my book!

Oh absolutely praise to renata and James, but I think there are certainly issues within the CAF applications process, we have experienced issues with it and I know of several others who have too. If it wasn't for the Harris school we wouldn't have a school place in ed, we would have been happy with our sixth choice of Hollydale but that was the nearest school to us with a hope of getting in. I do think there are a number of "black spots" in ed that need addressing.