You know you're an East Dulwichite when.... (Lounged)

Lizziedjango

Once upon a time, there were three mothers.

The first mother landed one in the oven when she was nineteen, the father disappeared. She had to live in a council house forever and was a burden on the taxpaying population for the rest of her life.

The second mother had a career and a busy social life, but selfishly left it far too late to have children. She had to have IVF - at the expense of the taxpayer - but could barely keep up with her children - because she was so old and tired!

The third mother played it just right. Not too young to be a silly little fool. Not too old to be selfish. Not too unemployed to be a burden. Not too wealthy and successful to make people jealous.

And so the goes the story of the three stereotyped mothers, living in their stereotyped world (with misogynist overtones).

blah blah blah

THE END

Sean thanks for the comment but really "....fertility does not exclusively correlate with maternal age at the exclusion of all other factors." well it does a bit doesn't it or else why isn't Granny HBF popping them out with Gramps. The young conceive easier than the old

Since that was me, not sean (chalking one point up for your observation skills), i guess i should riposte, not him.

If you check my wording nice and closely, you'll see that i threw in the word "exclusively" - haphazard typing? not so. Granny and gramps may not be popping them out, but there are couples in their 20's with the same problem. Conversely, Jah Lush has cited an example of natural fertility into what you seem to class as the "must've been IVF" age bracket. No one is denying that there comes a point where age affects fertility, but it is not the only factor, the aetiology is not exclusive.

consequently the huge numbers of pushchairs coming down Lordship Lane almost entirely pushed by middle class Mum's

And you know their social status how? Do you ask them their qualifications and profession or are you just making assumptions?

Bob- I take it you've been smoking the ready rubbed, laced with something more herbal! Do you enjoy reinventing children's stories? Misogynism has no place on this forum, and my comment is not an attack at all.

Asset - Yes, there is no need to enquire it's just by observation.

bignumber3 I quite agree and my apologies for suggesting Sean made such a fatuous nonsensical remark. The sea is wet has more factual substance. The following really is a pointless comment:

"....fertility does not exclusively correlate with maternal age at the exclusion of all other factors." Yes it does age is an absolutely fundamental factor in determining the likelihood of having children ie younger people have kids more easily than older people.

Harsh-but-Fair Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bignumber3 I quite agree and my apologies for

> suggesting Sean made such a fatuous nonsensical

> remark. The sea is wet has more factual substance.

> The following really is a pointless comment:

>

> "....fertility does not exclusively correlate with

> maternal age at the exclusion of all other

> factors." Yes it does age is an absolutely

> fundamental factor in determining the likelihood

> of having children ie younger people have kids

> more easily than older people.

I'm getting too easily baited in my old age. I'm assuming that is what's happening here: you're either deliberately misunderstanding me, or we're just not going to resolve this. Either way, in the words of those nice rich people on dragons den, I'm out.

> "....fertility does not exclusively correlate with

> maternal age at the exclusion of all other

> factors." Yes it does age is an absolutely

> fundamental factor in determining the likelihood

> of having children ie younger people have kids

> more easily than older people.

Harsh-but-fair, what about the amount of fertility problems that are caused by endometriosis, polycystic ovaries or for the guys low sperm count?

None of these are age dependent and I'm sure are the causes of far more couples needed to turn to IVF for babies than age.

Maybe Harsh-and-stubborn would be a better moniker.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Once upon a time, there were three mothers.

>

> The first mother landed one in the oven when she

> was nineteen, the father disappeared. She had to

> live in a council house forever and was a burden

> on the taxpaying population for the rest of her

> life.

>

> The second mother had a career and a busy social

> life, but selfishly left it far too late to have

> children. She had to have IVF - at the expense of

> the taxpayer - but could barely keep up with her

> children - because she was so old and tired!

>

> The third mother played it just right. Not too

> young to be a silly little fool. Not too old to be

> selfish. Not too unemployed to be a burden. Not

> too wealthy and successful to make people jealous.

>

>

> And so the goes the story of the three stereotyped

> mothers, living in their stereotyped world (with

> misogynist overtones).

>

> blah blah blah

>

> THE END

*Bob*, so what I think you're saying is that the first mother was a bit of a slag,right?

Unless I've missed the point completely.

when you post a throwaway comment on the EDF in a light hearted thread only for it to be interrogated to the nth degree...

but back on topic the true mark of an East Dulwichite must be when you buy a season ticket to Dulwich Hamlet...all the rest are just imposters!

Any thread self-consciously titled 'you know you're an East Dulwichite when' is virtually begging the usual suspects to bring-up organic produce, more money than sense, old Mums, wanky shops and overpriced property.

It's only a matter of time.