Hipsters

harperama

As has been pointed out, no one actually self identifies as a 'hipster'. It can't be said to be any kind of tribe, or movement, in the way that punk, or goths or whatever were. It's just a pretty vague label applied by miserablists to any bloke who looks or acts in a way that they think is a bit silly, or who vaguely follows fashion.

The tribe thing is a bit of a red herring IMHO. A tribe in this context is just a group whose lifestyle is more defined and overt than others. And everyone's prone to lifestyle-ing, to a greater or lesser extent - imagine how tiring it would be to have to actually decide exactly what you, as a unique individual, wants/thinks/feels about absolutely everything. It used to be a source of endless amusement to me that every single Saab owner thought they were a free-thinking individualist.

Anyway, hipsters. They are not likely to punch me in the face, or do anything more generally anti-social, so they can carry on as far as I'm concerned, whoever they are. Having a pop at them for looking silly misses the point somewhat (plus Goths have perpetual dibs on the most ridiculous look ever), and anybody who thinks that a lack of explicit political engagement is a crushing indictment of a style collective because:

"what we need now more than ever is a fight for social and political change."

seriously needs a hot cup of tea and a long lie down (sorry EP, but it's true).

And if nice food and good beer are somehow a product, directly or otherwise, of the hipster thing, excellent - more of that please.

But which tribe? Beards and bicycles at Look Mum No Hands, snow washed denim rave at Dalston Roofpart, or neon health freaks at Morning Gloryville? There isn't one tribe of "hipsters", it's just nonsense.

And don't get your knickers in a twist. Your 'bravo' comment wasn't rude?

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But which tribe? Beards and bicycles at Look Mum

> No Hands, snow washed denim rave at Dalston

> Roofpart, or neon health freaks at Morning

> Gloryville? There isn't one tribe of "hipsters",

> it's just nonsense.

Didn't we establish pages ago that the whole thing is a nonsense and that all the people / groups you mention are not in fact hipsters?

>

> And don't get your knickers in a twist. Your

> 'bravo' comment wasn't rude?

More sarcastic I'd say, but either way it was retaliation.

RosieH Wrote:

> But which tribe? Beards and bicycles at Look Mum

> No Hands, snow washed denim rave at Dalston

> Roofpart, or neon health freaks at Morning

> Gloryville? There isn't one tribe of "hipsters",

> it's just nonsense.

Tribes tend to have sub-cultures within them. Punk was a catch-all generic term, as is Hipster...

Can't this whole thread just be deleted deleted, because I don't think any two people are really talking about the same thing.

I'm certainly not talking about any of the people Rosie earlier mentioned. And I'm definitely not talking about the successful people Seabag mentioned.

I'm talking about the people that have ensured that when I went to look for some new glasses, EVERY bloody pair was thick black rimmed.

Although I will admit to a level of jealousy(as Seabag suggested) towards anyone who's time and life is their own.

But this thread has gone from a bit of a moan about a youth culture (which has been happening for as long as there has been youth) to something which feels slightly unpleasant to me.

Nothing I've said on the thread (going right back to my initial DHFC comment) has been meant as anything other than light hearted. Except the bit about dressing up as Edwardian gentry (which by the way I'd never have labelled hipster - which is another example of how no one actually knows what a hipster is). I just find that particular group of junior right wingers a bit distasteful.

I think some of you may be taking this a bit too seriously. The older generation laughing affectionately at the younger is a longstanding custom in this country, just as much as the younger mocking the establishment. They'll do the same when they're older.

Seen on a poster in the lift at Hospital today:

'Can you make a career out of blogging or are Generation Y living in a fantasy world when it comes to work?'

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> 'Can you make a career out of blogging or are

> Generation Y living in a fantasy world when it

> comes to work?'

Some people have made an absolute fortune out of blogging or vlogging. Most won't though.

Bit like bands really. Some will just be there at the right time and place, others who may be just as (or more) talented simply won't.

Otta Wrote:

> Doesn't saying you're a hipster mean you're not

> allowed to be a hipster?

Ah yes but, i've been outed by others so I self refer as 'Hipster'

However, my sub-group reference is as yet 'undifined' so the above term is a mere refrerence point, for the easing of conversation on this Forum

I hope this makes things clearer

I am tho a #Foodster (that's a Hashtag Foodster)