any women with a career, own money and no kids in dulwich!?

I'm another one.

I moved to ED with another 20-something woman four years ago because we both wanted to take some time in our careers when we wouldn't earn much, and ED was (then) relatively cheap to rent. We're both still here, though we have moved from the south end of Lordship Lane to the badlands of Peckham Rye. I should admit we moved because we needed the space to accommodate boyfriends, but that's not because we're about to breed with them.

I think the comments noting the differences depending on time of day are spot-on. Weekday-daytime, it's more an area for parents with buggies than freelancers with laptops (though there are still a fair few of those), but evenings are quite different. Even our knitting group is by in large childless professionals (and so far entirely women only, though that's not deliberate).

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yup- you can tell you've no kids as you think

> mum's "lounge around in coffee shops all day"...

>

> ...anyway, to answer your question, it strikes me

> as odd that ED seems to appeal to 20 somethings as

> it's family oreintated with housingstock and not

> very cool, but nevertheless it seems to attract

> them, I thought it was dull when I was in my 20s

> and Camberwell was far more a 20s place...

I moved here when I was 25 (I think). I've always found it OK, enough pubs and restaurants to keep you happy during the week, and easy to get to Camberwell, Brixton or even Cl****m if you want a wider choice. And not too far from the centre if you want to go out in the West End, Shoreditch, or whatever.

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > yup- you can tell you've no kids as you think

> > mum's "lounge around in coffee shops all

> day"...

> >

> > ...anyway, to answer your question, it strikes

> me

> > as odd that ED seems to appeal to 20 somethings

> as

> > it's family oreintated with housingstock and

> not

> > very cool, but nevertheless it seems to attract

> > them, I thought it was dull when I was in my

> 20s

> > and Camberwell was far more a 20s place...

I also moved here in my 20s specifically because there were about 5 decent pubs within walking distance of my flat and they didn't have as high a concentration of idiots as places like C*@?**"&. Never found it lacking in night life to be honest. Just different.

Bit slow on the uptake, as always, and have only just seen this thread - find myself hoping that the original poster was taking the piss right from the word go: the alternative, that from the outside we actually look like one giant postcode-wide baby-group, is just too depressing - the "all you see on lordship lane are women with buggaboos" brigade would do well to consider that, shift workers aside, everyone else is at work all day because YES, careers aplenty.

Speccylecci Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love living in a middle class area (yes, I have

> happily sold out).

Less with the middle class please. Damages our street cred.

I once ate breakfast in a caf in Peckham I?ll have you know* and I?ve seen Snatch.

*Although there was some disruption when I noticed that they had forgotten to trim the fat from my bacon.

Angela, I'm less troubled by your sweeping generalisation and this dull repetition of the pointless parents versus non-parents debate, than I am by your obvious breach of fourm etiquette.

Starting the same thread simultaneously in two different areas is extremely poor form.

annaj - married, thirty-something, career, no children, likes a tidy forum.

Oh give me strength.

I have until now never felt the need to rise to the families/singles debates that have raged on this forum for far too boringly long to remember.

I moved to ED several years ago in my twenties with a great career, no children (and no plans to have any at that time) and loved living here. I now have a child, still have a great career and still love living here. I also never recall feeling the same animosity towards families when I had no children that I see on this forum all the time, and I don't think ED has changed that dramatically since I was childless.

Let's face it we all grow up, and, shock horror, probably might start a family, so if you are thinking of moving here to enjoy ED in your twenties, would you not rather it was an area that catered for the potential next stage in your life as well, rather than having to move again? Particularly pertinent given current market conditions!

I have been on the phone to my wife and forbade her from leaving home with the baby just in case anyone spots her. Perhaps other partners can do the same so we can keep the streets free from the ghastly sight of a parent taking their child for a chilly walk.

As a single female mid twenties ED is brilliant. Cosy, nice shops, safe, easy to get to central etc.. I can also imagine it being great if you have kids too. So I would def consider bringing a family up here. Basically it is brilliant.

Even though I am single I would not really go "on the pull" in ED though. Then again I don't really do that anyway so it depends what kind of person you are. I am a bit shy :)

• Administrator

As two threads of the same title have been been started in two different sections by the same person one of them will be locked and a link placed to where the other one is. Heads it's this one, tails it's the other one.

Heads it is.

To the other discussion about the same thing in the Lounge => http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,184788