Horrendous behaviour by 176 bus driver

boswell

I have taken a bike on the bus before and the driver was absolutely fine about it. I forget the exact circumstances now, but it was during the day and the bus wasn't particularly full. I think I had a puncture or something - this was ages ago now.

I don't see how having a bike on board is any more dangerous than a heavy suitcase. Of course bikes should not be allowed by default, but the driver should have used a little judgement in this case.

Whats to consider Guys?

Most Women are infinitely more vulnerable late at night. To deny that is plainly ridiculous.

I've met few Women who would choose to walk home late at night anywhere,even in areas with little crime.

Indeed if you do see a Young Lady very late at night in the unusual position of walking alone you will inevitably see thst she is speaking into a mobile phone for companionship and comfort. Almost 100% in my experience if I ever drive past them late at night.

An interesting 'reading' of the previous thread, Jeremy. But lets not go down that dead-end road again. Life's too short.

I can see both sides to this story - elf and safety hysteria means that the bus driver might have feared for his job had someone complained. But, on the other hand at 2am in the morning you'd think that common sense and human compassion would rule and that anyone in such distress would be helped. The problem is that London is a big city and the bigger the city, the less community there is. When/where I grew up, if you spotted someone broken down on the side of the road, you stopped and checked if they needed help. It hardly happens now in England, let alone London.

That, of course, doesn't let the bus driver off - and especially not the policeman. Out of everyone, he should hang his head in shame. They are supposed to be out there helping the general public.

And Brendan, having worked with and been friends with quite a few SA girls myself I can well see your point - they are, in general, a rather awe-inspiring bunch.

similar experience last thursday night at denmark hill - tried to pay someone elses fare who had no money. driver point blank refused. F****rs 90% of them.

See now that is bad, but I'm assuming this person wasn't trying to get a bike on the bus?

Bikes are bloody annoying enough on trains. There is absolutely no bloody room for them on a bus!

Ooooh, who shit in your breakfast cereal? Ok, Arriva then. And no, I don't blame the driver if I'm late. And my "research" was based off (a) my friend who used to drive a bus and (b) a conversation I overheard between two bus drivers. The gist of both bits of "research" was that drivers have alot of pressure put on them NOT to be LATE and NOT to let people on without paying, and presumably NOT to let people on with bikes. MY POINT was that maybe if they didn't have so much PRESSURE on them, then perhaps the WHOLE SYSTEM would run far more smoothly for all of us.

And if you think calling someone a "prick" is petty, fair enough, but I think you're PETTY and probably not very PRETTY, either.

Na na.

I don't understand why there's a blanket ban on taking bikes on buses anyway.

Fair enough not in rush hour or when the bus is full enough for a bike to be a potential hazard but why not leave that to the driver's discretion? Surely more people are going to cycle (presumably something TFL and the mayor should be encouraging) if you can take your bike on the bus if you have a problem?

There has to be a blanket ban, else it will be a crazy situation. People biking to work and then sticking their bike on a bus after a few drinks out in town. There has to be an exception policy though and in this case, the driver failed on grounds of social responsibility.

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Da rulez

>

> Page 9 is particularly relevant and page 11 some

> people (not necessarily those of the sensible side

> of society) should take the time to read ;-)

Para.4.5 prohibits the _use_ of bicycles, roller skates, etc, but says nothing about their being carried on a bus.

In the "Conduct Regulations", SI 2002/1724, referred to in 1.1, there's even a provision (reg.17(2)) allowing the driver _not_ to meet the duties they impose on him with respect to wheelchair users and other disabled persons, if "there will be a risk to his health, safety or security or to that of the wheelchair user or other disabled person or to that of any other passenger or member of the public." That seems to further emphasise the driver's existing common law duty to exercise his judgement to ensure the safety of his passengers.