Elections - Get out and keep UKIP/BNP out

neilson99

Just voted.

Pleased to see three "non white immigrants" as Presiding officer and admin officials at the polling station keeping democracy in Britain going. One in the eye for you Farage, Nick Griffin and your racist mob.

Get out and keep UKIP/BNP out.

neilson99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pleased to see three "non white immigrants" as Presiding officer and admin officials at the

> polling station keeping democracy in Britain going. One in the eye for you Farage, Nick Griffin

> and your racist mob.

The race your election officials seems strangely important to you. Most people don't give a damn. Would you have been terribly upset if they had been white?

Loz, the race of the officials isn't important at all to me - unlike Farage, Griffin et al.

The fact that UKIP, BNP etc are running a campaign based on racist/aggravated xenophic/fear mongering against anyone who isn't white, straight etc etc does upset me.

neilson99 Wrote:

> Loz, the race of the officials isn't important at

> all to me - unlike Farage, Griffin et al.

And yet you noticed their races and posted it here.

Incidentally - how did you know they were immigrants, and not born in the UK?

Because I stood and talked to them Loz. Fairly standard conversation technique of one person making a comment, asking a question, responding, other person asks question, you respond an so on. Amazing really where you get to when you don'[t stand around making wild uninformed assumptions.

You appear to be assuming I am white, middle class lefty - not quite on the money I'm afraid. Even if it was, not sure why that would make my views and more or less valid.

Please do take the piss and imply what ever you want about what paper I read or what I drink. (Neither correct by the way.) If you're an apologist, excuser or supporter of racist, xenophobic, homophobic parties then that's your call.

neilson99 Wrote:

> If you're an apologist, excuser or supporter of racist,

> xenophobic, homophobic parties then that's your call.

Nice try, but no dice, as you would see if you looked in the other political discussions going on around here. I just found your uber-PC proclamation tremendously funny. I could almost picture Malcolm from Viz's Modern Parents making the same comment.

But if you ever want a good politics discussion that goes deeper than your Guardian and Daily Mail op-ed headlines, then I'm in. As I watch the results come in and the on-going analysis, it's really quite an interesting phenomenon.

From the results in so far, all the main parties have a real problem. It's easy to brand UKIP voters as simpletons and nationalists, but there's something else going on imo. UKIP are doing really well in the Midlands and the North, and parts of the South coast, Kent etc.

We have an economy and policies that have shut down upward social mobility and ordinary working families in ordinary areas are feeling it. They are working harder with less to show for it and their children are really struggling to find jobs. When you have a political elite, who are disconnected from that, and the wake of a financial distaster like the banking crisis, where the culprits haven't suffered and it seems like business as usual to many, defection to parties like UKIP is what happens. Farage is as elitist as the rest of them, but he does a better job of playing the common man than Cameron, Clegg and Miliband.

PokerTime Wrote:

> We have an economy and policies that have shut

> down upward social mobility and ordinary working

> families in ordinary areas are feeling it. They

> are working harder with less to show for it and

> their children are really struggling to find jobs.

> When you have a political elite, who are

> disconnected from that, and the wake of a

> financial distaster like the banking crisis, where

> the culprits haven't suffered and it seems like

> business as usual to many, defection to parties

> like UKIP is what happens. Farage is as elitist as

> the rest of them, but he does a better job of

> playing the common man than Cameron, Clegg and

> Miliband.

Yep, best vote in an ex stockbroker who wants further deregulation, fewer employment protection, an even smaller state and considerably less redistribution. That'll help those who are struggling eh?

I find this thread very patronising. Do we need to be told to vote or who for? Isn't democracy all about being able to make your own choices? Jeez. I guess the next thread we can look forward to seeing is one which advocates individuals being prosecuted for not voting. Give me strength.

As discussed in previous threads. Attempts to discourage people from voting UKIP have generally been accompanied with: insults, sarcasm and patronising language. I think that it is wrong to assume that UKIP voters are ignorant and stupid people who should be treated as such, I know a number personally and they are anything but that. When the debate becomes more rational, the reasons for not voting UKIP are convincing, but in that respect the mainstream political parties have failed to get their message across effectively. I do not support UKIP and I would not vote for them. But, in my mind the time has come for a more reasoned debate about Europe. Can it expand indefinitely? Does a one size fits all political and economic model work for all European countries? I suspect that the success of UKIP has been driven by the desire of a number of people to create a dialectic, one that has been generally denied to date.

Parkdrive Wrote:

> I find this thread very patronising. Do we need to

> be told to vote or who for? Isn't democracy all

> about being able to make your own choices? Jeez. I

> guess the next thread we can look forward to

> seeing is one which advocates individuals being

> prosecuted for not voting. Give me strength.

Eh? So we can't discuss our views on a forum. What are we meant to do here then? I don't think UKIP is the answer and that's based entirely on policy. I haven't patronised anyone, but given my opinion on a topic, on a forum. I'm generally confused.

PokerTime Wrote:

> No problem rahrah :)

>

> Parkdrive, all the parties base their campaigns on

> telling us who to vote for (ie them) don't they?

And I find that equally patronising, are we not able to read their manifestos, or decide who to vote vote for on the strength of party policies and mandates? The whole circus leading up to polling day has become a farce, give the electorate some credit for having the ability to make up its mind without being force feed party dogma.

Loz

>I could almost picture Malcolm from Viz's Modern Parents making

> the same comment.

>

> But if you ever want a good politics discussion

> that goes deeper than your Guardian and Daily Mail

> op-ed headlines, then I'm in.

I'm fine with my shallow and pithy interpration thanks very much. Besides, I can only dream of the levels of deep political insight and analysis you have provided in response.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I still don't get your objection Parkdrive -

> people shouldn't discuss political views? Party's

> shouldn't try to persuade people to vote for them?

Put simply I object to anyone trying to tell me whats best for me the implication being that they know better than me. Futhermore I object to the implication that I don't have the capacity to think for myself and that I need to be spoon fed.