Update on 549 lordship lane (Concrete House)

bob

The primary legislation is The Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. Secondary legislation with The Listed Buildings Act. And various case law examples.

It is a criminal offence to carry out almost any works to a listed building without having obtained consent.

Google the case - he was demanded to re-build exactly as was, or face going to prison. Rather generous of them to give him a choice, I think!

Still, he hasn't done it so he must think they're bluffing. We'll have to see what happens.

This is one of several articles referring to the case:

Goldfinger demolisher faces jail

I think it's a fair assumption that he was planning the same fate for the Concrete House; that having allowed it to crumble he would at some point have moved in with the bulldozers.

I wonder if he owns any other listed buildings for which he plans the same fate, or whether in fact he's already demolished other listed buildings and not been caught.

It's shocking that he's demolished a building by Erno Goldfinger, an architect with at least one building owned by the National Trust

Thank's for the link p in ed

But I note that he was given till November 08 to complie do we know if he has done so.

Gen 17 I think the prison strech is fo contemt of court but it dosn't matter for what as long as it is.

Bob S

I hear that the 17th century structure at Woods Roads in Peckham was set for the bulldozers until very recently. Was this another of his stunts? Although I have driven past the building many times since and a full restoration project seems to be afoot, not sure if this was one taken on by English Heritage. Apparantly the oldest building in SE15.

Louisa.

Can I re-wind this a bit....?

SimonM's comment was about the ex-owner sending round a demolition team one day out of spite. To which I commented that if he does, he'll end up in prison.

I'm not a lawyer and have never claimed to be one, but if someone goes and deliberately knocks something down that doesn't belong to them any more - I'm pretty sure they'd end up in prison. Trespass, criminal damage, demolition of a listed building without consent all spring to mind and there are probably more. I don't think I'm confused, I think I have been misunderstood.

Thanks for that, p_in_ed

It's good to see that they are tackling the land seperation issue with the CPO. The split looks much fairer now.

Bob, I haven't heard anything more from the journalist or the council - but that's ok. I can see they have been busy! But on another note - I just got back my building heritage coursework (which was all about this house) and got 92%!!! So thank you all for helping me along the way. :))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...