Update on 549 lordship lane (Concrete House)

bob

Dear Concrete House Fans,

I'm writing a story about the building for our paper next week and would like to talk to people about it.

So, if you love it/hate it, please feel free to get in touch.

I understand it's the weekend but I'd love to hear from anyone who has somthing to say on the subject.

Thanks.

PS I've added my mobile number to this. Perhaps a mistake, but nothing ventured ...

Sam Masters

Reporter

The South London Press

[email protected]

The Land could be better used to serve the community, so to demolish the building would be tragic in the eyes of heritage. but the reality is the property has been neglected for decades and it would be refreshing to see the land put to some good use IMHO. I actually read the Wiki info about that house a few years ago.

Great so knock down a local landmark and stick up a block of flats that will look grotty and outdated within a decade. I think it would serve the local community as a house with trees and landscaped gardens rather than yet another block of flats or something equally as disturbing.

Louisa.

ps. I wouldnt say no to a Burger King but thats my one exception ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks p-in-ed.

Not quite the exciting article I was anticipating from the SLP. The first journalist that got in touch seemed to have a whole new angle and this story is rather tame. But never mind - at least they are raising the profile of the place.

Simon's right, ?75k will go nowhere. But a minimum ?20 per annum donation buys membership to the Heritage for London Trust (HOLT) and helps fund the projects that they undertake. I joined...

I am really pleased that this landmark is going to be saved. Considering the old war memorial has been fully restored, it seems fitting that another local landmark can be given the same care and attention. I would like to see the place turned into some sort of East Dulwich museum, with the interior taken back to what it would have perhaps looked like when it was first built.

Louisa.

Ah the ?75K is just for temporary works - that makes a lot more sense. Maybe as the same architect designed Dulwich College the College could be persuaded to support the restoration? And if the ES report is to be believed it looks like that so-called "replica" may be demolished?

Well done Southwark Council and well done Paul Noblet.

A really good outome.

Might be prudent to write to or send an email of support to Hazel Blears to ensure that the compulsory purchase order is approved.

I don't know how compulsory purchase orders work, but I would hope it's a transfer of ownership without any payment to the current owner. And if the new building behind the concrete house has been built without planning permission, perhaps the compulsory purchase order can be extended to that building as well as the plot they both stand on.

I like Louisa's idea of setting up a museum. Perhaps the new building could be incorporated into that kind of plan - as admin space or something

Oh my God! That is such fantastic news!!!

I am a little bit speechless...David Trayner was the journalist I had spoken to - as you can see, his story is much more interesting!

We'll have to toast this tomorrow night at the Cherry!

With you on this one Louisa a local museum dedicated to ED past to present, may be a counter selling local books, old photos for sale and on display. Pull the new house down make a safe green area for kids and bugaboos, coffee, cakes, munches all subsidised, local employment volunteer to help run it bring money and employment to the area, register it as a charity and plough the money back in to it. I'll even volunteer myself. What about a volunteer clean up team or to give some time to help re build even just a bit of labour I can't type quick enough, any one with me, more ideas please, a great big thank you and a hug to all the people out there who bothered to read this thread or post it's YOU that made this possible.See you in the Cherry can't get there till 10.

BoB S

PS Should we start a fire watch team.

Check out what Wandsworth Council are doing to the 'silent' partner of the owner of our concrete house...google Rajiv Laxman. He has demolished a listed building in their borough without permission and will go to prison if he doesn't re-build it exactly as was. And time is running out...