Help! What would a fun London weekend with an 11 year old look like?

I have my 11 year old niece coming to stay over for a weekend (last weekend in June) and I have promised to plan an exciting weekend for her (and my two little girls who are nearly 2 and 4 yrs old).

Can anyone recommend fun activities/events in London for an 11 year old girl? She's great with my girls and is looking forward to 'babysitting' and helping with bath times etc. but I also want some special treats for her, especially given her brother & father are off to their annual camping trip to Goodwood festival of CARS!

Our intention is to make our weekend so...much more fun than the boys';-)

Tricky to combine your kids and her interests with the age gap - boat trip down the river - maybe to Greenwich? Trip on London Eye - good for little ones too. Kind of depends what she is interested in/likes doing. Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green might be good for all if she isn't too grown up for it!

Most people coming to London want to see the tourist stuff. Would echo south bank and it's offerings / river trip and / or St James' park picnic and view of front of Buck Palace. Also Top Shop / Forever 21 on Oxford Str depending on how grown up she is or Hamleys. Whatever, you have to see some London tick box stuff - Big Ben etc.

Hello

We recently took my daughter (nearly 2) to a Family Sunday at the Royal Opera House - it's really designed for over 6 and lots around your niece's age. It's a lovely day out and the little ones will enjoy it too. http://www.roh.org.uk/functions/family-sundays

There are music, ballet and singing activities - and a great dress up area. There are also lots of nice spots for lunch around Covent Garden too.

I should say, I have just started working at the Royal Opera House but I promise that I would recommend this even if I didn't have a personal connection!

Otherwise, always the Horniman!

Hope that helps

Lizzi

So...many options! I love the idea of tourist activities as she doesn't get into London often. I like the idea of South bank and a river trip, perhaps finishing off with a Hamley's visit for treats.

Lizzi - the Family Sunday at the Royal Opera House sounds great. Unfortunately tickets are already sold out for that Sunday. Must be pretty popular. Thanks everyone!

Southbank... Fountains are on now, (upper level) also Namco bowling/games/rides etc is inside city hall opposite the London eye. The Globe is really interesting as is the Tate Modern. Loads of street performers, carrousel, lovely gardens with a small playground. Check online and see if the changing of the guard is on at a suitable time as it's an easy short bus ride to palace from Westminster bridge next to City Hall. From the palace you are near St James Park or a bit further to Kensington Gardens and the Diana Memorial playground.

Somerset House, also has fountains (call first to avoid disappointment) that puts you near Covent garden...

Have fun!

Along the same lines as st Paul's, you can do monument quite cheaply and get a certificate.

Have you asked what sort of thing she's into, and work around that?

Chislehurst caves are another good one!

If she hasn't seen Matilda, definitely worth trying to get tickets for that - even right at the back of the theatre the view is pretty good (as it's a small theatre) and tickets are about ?25 each. If you and she went together, could prob manage an evening show which is likely to have much better availability than matinees.